Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeon Overhaul
The general consensus (in my interactions anyway) is that dungeons tend to be neat for new players going through their first experience leveling up their character(s) and as they experience more and more of them, they become a slog in the way that many veterans of the community view them to be. With the LE system especially and the SL2's alt culture, it becomes essentially a chore that people go through in order to "full book" their characters entirely OOC due to the fact that you don't want to be IC, you just want to finish this unenjoyable task as quickly as possible so you can feel like your character is "complete" and then get to RP.

While making dungeons more fun or less braindead may not push people to RP more in dungeons, it can turn what many consider to be a chore into something much less burdensome.

The first thing I think needs to be addressed is that when you get to higher level dungeons that are packed with floors with 5 mob packs, that's when things start to feel genuinely bad. These are dungeon crawls that can turn into literal hours long sessions that put people to sleep or make them break and do literally anything else but that. The extra packs don't add to the difficulty of the dungeon, they just artificially extend the time it takes to get through them. Typically if you can slaughter one pack of mobs in a dungeon, you can continue to do so without trouble so long as you have decent food. All that gates you from the core is the time it takes for yours and the enemy's attack animations and how quickly it takes you to kill the enemies.

Even in the case of getting worn down by consecutive packs, people can easily just feather out, heal at the nearest inn, and return where they left off. 

My suggestion is to shift the focus of BDPs away from constant fighting to puzzle based challenges. Things like finding all of the seals and breaking them before you can continue. You can see dungeons like this in games like Genshin Impact, where there isn't actually that much fighting in the dungeons, but rather a series of puzzles the player has to solve. I think each floor can have a randomly chosen puzzle that has to be solved, with 1 pack guarding the end of each floor that would contain 1 miniboss, and maybe 1 to 2 other roaming packs in the middle of the dungeon's floor. To accommodate this, I think more maps should adopt the maze type setup commonly seen in whirlpool and fire altar maps, or just be made larger in general. 

From there, you can add puzzles that wouldn't be completed quite as quickly/easily as they would on normal sized maps so that BDPs aren't a complete breeze. For example, one type of puzzle you can add is, when generating the floor, a tablet is at the start of the floor detailing the order in which you have to interact with 3 different colored runes/buttons/whatever in order to unseal the way to the next floor. Some floors can simply be the maze itself, maybe these could be more common for lower level BDPs and become less common as the lever of the BDP increases. If it's possible to program, you could add block puzzles that you have to push blocks/pillars along a fixed path and get them into fixed holes like things you see in Pokemon ice dungeons. There are different things you can do to make dungeons more interactive/less of something you slog through on autopilot. 

There are, of course, other types of puzzles that could be added in, but I think this is the kind of direction dungeons should take.
Lets please, not turn every map into Noodle hell mazes. I hate crypts and whirlpools.

While I do not mind pusszles, or generally have less mobs-> For that higher difficulty of the mobs. (Atleast for dungeons above 45ish) running around aimlessly is more annoying to me than quickly bruising through mob packs.

While I am personally not sure how to make the grind more enjoyable, for veterans as well as new players, I believe that puzzles would eventually also become stale too. There is only so much you can do with them without them becoming either frustratingly difficult or braindead easy.

But I also think that SL2 progression system has been broken since ages already. And as much as I hate to say it, Pre-GRs system was actually better in that regard. Not because I am a fan of the RNG, but because the grind had the side effect of people feeling like they aren't "done" like ever, but ironically for some reason that also made them much more content with not having to "Finish" before RPing. we often saw people in the 40 range at the Arena doing stuff actively and rping (cause RP exp was actually pretty good). Thats a rare sight nowadays.

Game mentality certainly changed, and I can at the very least say that 11 floors of 9 mob packs per floor, is more annoying than difficult. Its a turn your brain off and do, kind of thing. I rather had like fewer mob packs later on, but with them have more advanced gimmicks.

Ah well, its the old song. Everyone kinda feels awkward about this, but no one has a real solution either.