Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paladin stuff for SL2
Healing spells should be able to be cast with all weapons for different effectiveness, like what was done before to Scarlet Twister and Blood Spike.

Most Paladins I see around often use a sword and shield with no space for a tome in the middle of it, and the only reason they refuse to heal ICly is because, well, they can't. They need a tome, it's not because of 'mercala tenets'. Since swapping from item belt is not encouraged in the game (beyond Shuriken) for being a 'full action' (I.E, 3M instead of 1M), they should probably still be able to use their kit as is but with lowered effectiveness.

Let us Paladoots be inefficient, but better than bare fisted.

Graft
Sword, Bow - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).

Healing Discharge
Sword, Axe, Spear - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).

Phoenix
Sword, Spear - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Jupiter_Storm
I would even go so far as to suggest looking at a few other skills as well.

For instance, the Curate has the spell 'Holy Arrow' - which can be empowered by a Bow-type weapon, yet the class itself cannot use Bows by default. The Priest, the Lantern Bearer (which many view in a sort of 'Druid-esque' format given that they invoke elemental spirits) and the Curate can all use Daggers, Spears and Tomes, while the skills available to them are only able to utilize Tomes.

The exception to this is Priest, where you are able to employ a Staff-type Spear for your powers. And Lantern Bearer / Curate, both being able to use ONE Spear Skill. The 'daggers' part makes little to no sense - beyond being a symbolic athame for cultists of any faith. This would never be used in an actual fight.

And perhaps that is the intent behind the classes? Yet if that were the case, why are other classes that embody other popular fantasy tropes able to fully utilize their toolkit without suffering any drawbacks?

A number of other classes enjoy full access to their toolkit, being able to synergize their weapons of choice flawlessly with the (considerably powerful) skills that they have access to. (Eclair, I'm looking at you).

This is less so a question of Balance, and more a question of being able to run with common, and popular fantasy themes without being forced to sacrifice a portion of your Roleplay by equipping a weapon that makes less sense for your character (read: Forgrint everytime) SOLELY so that you aren't completely back-handed by monsters, or even - yes - players for being underwhelming.

I fully endorse Kunai's suggestion, but as an extension ask that other Curate and Sub-Class Curate skills are examined as well under this same microscope. With a reduction in power rating, I do not see any issues with regards to balance - in order to use the full power of their skills, the Paladin / Forest Guardian / whatever they might be, would have to equip a Spelledge Weapon or a Shifter Tome... Which is already the case, and thus would make little difference.

This fact is made even more profound by the new scalings that apply to weapons - their magic is already going to be less powerful, or perhaps their defences, due to investing in Strength in order to use a Sword, ICly.
[Image: House_Banner_PNG.png]
I think this more of a problem that the other ores haven't got the conduiz treatment yet.... If planetarium let you cast mercana domain....
(08-26-2021, 04:34 PM)Snake Wrote: Healing spells should be able to be cast with all weapons for different effectiveness, like what was done before to Scarlet Twister and Blood Spike.

Most Paladins I see around often use a sword and shield with no space for a tome in the middle of it, and the only reason they refuse to heal ICly is because, well, they can't. They need a tome, it's not because of 'mercala tenets'. Since swapping from item belt is not encouraged in the game (beyond Shuriken) for being a 'full action' (I.E, 3M instead of 1M), they should probably still be able to use their kit as is but with lowered effectiveness.

Let us Paladoots be inefficient, but better than bare fisted.

Graft
Sword, Bow - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).

Healing Discharge
Sword, Axe, Spear - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).

Phoenix
Sword, Spear - Can be a casting tool. (75% of SWA).
SHINE SWORD HEALERS WHEN. Seriously, shine sword is kinda useless for priests, even though it would be pretty thematically accurate for them.