Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Guard Overhaul
[Image: Guard-Overhaul.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Hanzo's post:
  • Chaos, Hanzo, K Peculier, Shujin, Skimmy2
In regards for the rank structure, aside from shuffling Colonel and Major since you do seem to be going for real life equivalents and responsibilities, I'd recommend throwing in a Sergeant rank and maybe a Master Sergeant Rank above Soldier/Private to represent NCOs and SNCOs.

My reason for suggesting the two additional ranks is because, IRL, enlisted promotion tracks are completely different from officer tracks and have been for basically as long as they've existed almost, and while it's possible to move from enlisted to officer, it's not like Call of Duty where once you hit the end of the enlisted track, you suddenly become a lieutenant. The reason for this is two-fold, in that enlisted and officer ranks have different responsibilities and, for a great part of history, there was a massive difference in education and expectations. Enlisted outnumber officers by a wide margin, and make up your average enlisted fighting man, as well as logistics, administration, and basically all that other stuff. Officers aren't the only leadership though, as obviously there is a rank structure for enlisted personnel, broken up roughly into Junior Enlisted, Non-Commissioned Officers (NCO), and Staff Non-Commissioned Officers (SNCO). NCOs are just the guys in charge of all the junior enlisted, like a manager. They're people with a bit more experience than the junior enlisted, and in combat take the role of squad leaders and the like, and often take on other smaller managerial roles in addition to their usual NCO duties as well. SNCOs, who are even higher up in the rank, take on an even larger managerial role, and are generally tasked with making sure everyone is up on training, morale and discipline are good, and acting as a sort of advisor to officers in charge for the "enlisted viewpoint" of things. By this point, an SNCO has largely stopped doing "work" relating to his job, such as infantryman, admin, intelligence and the like, and is more around to make sure guidelines and regulations are being followed.

Officers, generally being better educated, were given more immediate leadership positions, and even modern day officers are required to have a college degree of some sort before even entering Officer Candidate School. A single lieutenant is generally given leadership over a platoon, and they're often tasked with more overarching leadership functions than an NCO or SNCO. While enlisted leaders are (or at least should be) more worried about troop welfare, officers are tasked with ensuring whatever mission or task at hand is accomplished, along with a lot more administrative functions that, while they often delegate to enlisted leaders, they are still ultimately responsible for. An example would be if a unit is given a set of expensive gear, let's say some radios in a real life example. It would be an officer who signs off on them and takes ultimate responsibility of them if any are lost or stolen, though he might delegate responsibility of handling this equipment to an NCO or SNCO, who would be the ones maintaining and issuing them out to troops. In terms of combat positions, most officers don't do the whole "leading from the front thing", at least in the modern day with communications equipment available. Historically, any officer had to march with the army, simply due to the fact that in order to pass orders, you kind of had to be there in person, but even then, it's unlikely for them to be extremely far forwards, but once you get fairly high up on the ranks, you really stop being what's called a "field-grade officer" (which is of course someone who leads from the field) and are delegated to planning in tents behind the frontlines, or perhaps even sitting in on meetings back home while the fighting goes on elsewhere. On another note, there are very often multiple officers in a single unit. For example, a company might have a single lieutenant in charge of each platoon, but will often have both officers and enlisted working as a headquarters element for the company, and this goes on all the way up through the battalion to the regiment, and so on.

---

TL;DR: Enlisted and officers are two entirely different promotion tracks for, at least historically, very good reasons and this is before getting into warrant officers, which are something that admittedly not every military has. You could do some arguing in the modern day considering how far education has come, but due to how it's developed, the roles have their own functions and purposes, and while I understand this should be simplified for the sake of ease in RP, I feel leaving enlisted with only a single "soldier" rank is a bit too simple for the complexities involved, and so I'd recommend at least throwing in a Sergeant and a Master Sergeant rank in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Druby's post:
  • TheRuffKnight
As it stands, the current military and command structure is listed as:
Armies - General
Legions - Major
Battalions - Colonel
Platoons - Captain
Squads - Lieutenant

In so far as enlisted vs officers go, I was preparing a needlessly long 3-5 paragraphs explaining the intricacies but this isint Milsim 2: Rise of Kinu.
So to tl;dr:
Commissioned Officers make decisions
Non-Commissioned Officers ensure that said decisions are organized and carried out.

The following will be my proposal for more Fantasy ranking as well as for cultural differences per nation to improve roleplay. Though I encourage any changes, counter points or opinions, as im not exactly the authority on this lore.

Sigrogana:
COMMANDERS
--Secretary of Defense, Secretary of War
--General
--Sergeant Major General/Major General
OFFICERS
--Colonel
--Captain
--Lieutenant
PERSONNEL
--Ensign
--Sergeant
--Soldier

Responsibilities:
Generals command Armies
Major Generals command Legions
Colonels command Battalions
Captains command Platoons
Lieutenants Command Squads
Ensigns are Senior personnel whom assist a Squad's Lieutenant, they do not command a "Corps" on their own.
Sergeants are veteran soldiers whom carry out the orders from the Lieutenant and provide guidance and experience to Soldiers. They are expected to be competent in their duties and ensure that they are setting a good example to follow.
Soldiers are the bulk of Sigrogana's army, whether volunteered or conscripted in an emergency. They are adequately trained and equipped to ensure the sovereignty and will of the Empire.

Notes:
The Sigroganian Empire is the largest Nation and with a history of long military successes paired with competent leadership of their Emperor.

Because of this Sigrogana's Armies are Large and unwieldy, relying upon lower "corps" initiative to ensure flexibility and speed to threats.

A Sigrogana Squad is considerably larger then most other nations, close to even twice in size if it's at full strength. Due to these large formations, a Ensign assists the Lieutenant in commanding and controlling their Squad, with Sergeants providing much needed experience to the large number of Soldiers that have seen less combat. Some of these Sergeants would be veterans of the Oniga Sigrogana War, though that War being over 50 years ago has seen veterans of the conflict gradually be aged out of service.

Rank wise, Sergeant Major General is the historical rank, and why "Major General" is a lower rank then "Lieutenant General" IRL. The Sergeant may be dropped if it proves too confusing.
If we wish to keep it simply as "Major" for short and sweet, then alternatively we can switch Major and Colonel's places within the Structure.

Oniga:
Language: Onigan/Common
COMMANDERS
--Shogun/Marshal
--Daimyo/General
--Bugyo/Major
OFFICERS
--Kumigashira/Colonel
--Kogashira/Captain
PERSONNEL
--Ashigarugashira/Lieutenant
--Ashigaru/Soldier

Responsibilities:
The Shogun is a position appointed directly by the Tennou to lead his Armies.
Daimyo are in charge of leading a House's Army, the Position of Daimyo is either filled by the House's Head themselves or a trusted commander to do so.
Bugyo are appointed by the Daimyo to handle more logistical and tactical affairs of the army, they are in command of their own Legion.
Kumigashira command a "Kumi", or "Set" in the Common language, "Sets" are the traditional tactical units of an Legion to maneuver, they are roughly equivalent to a Sigroganian Battalion.
Kogashira are in charge of a Platoon and assist the Kumigashira in leading the men.
Ashigarugashira command a squad of Ashigaru and are the lowest leadership role of the Army.
Ashigaru, or "Foot Soldier" are the common soldier that makes up the bulk of the Army.

Notes:
While all are subservient and loyal towards the Tennou and royal family, the noble houses and clans of Oniga have large sway over politics and affairs.
The strongest noble houses provide their own armies to serve the Tennou, and they are not without some autonomy to carry out their duties. Daimyo are either the Heads of a Noble House or, more often then not, a trusted retainer to serve as a General and lead the House's Army.

If a 3rd Personnel rank is desired, then "Samurai" can take on the role of Lieutenant and Ashigarugashira can be lowered to a "Sergeant".
While I couldnt find any actual lore on Samurai in Sigrogana, its pretty safe to assume that they exist unless Dev says otherwise, and they would be the equivalent of a Knight in title more so then military rank.

Chaturanga:
COMMANDERS
--Marshal
--General
--Baronet/Major
OFFICERS
--Knight Commander/Colonel
--Knight/Captain
PERSONNEL
--Squire/Lieutenant
--Pawn/Soldier

Responsibilities:
The Marshal is appointed and voted on by the Council of Chaturanga to lead it's armies.
Generals lead an Army and are composed of the most talented tacticians within their city.
Baronets are a noble title, appointed by a Baron and responsible for all of the Knights within their land. They command a Legion.
Knight Commanders are veteran knights recognized by their deeds and given command of a Battalion.
Knights are the fulcrum Chaturanga's military doctrine, forming the backbone of it's Armies. They Command a Platoon of men.
Squires are Knights in training, serving the Knight that they are subordinate to and leading a Squad of soldiers to prove their worth and hone their training.
Pawns are the humble foot soldier, volunteer mercenaries whom arent proper knights as of yet, they support and fight alongside knights in battle.

Notes:
Chaturanga's military is highly competent and elite, acquiring a reputation for their formidable Black Knights that are nigh unmatched in the world.

Their government is a council based system with noble houses and titles.
Unfortunately the noble houses and inner politics of Chaturanga are less fleshed out as of now, as I have not much known on their peerage titles and land structure. Because of this, the ranks are most likely to change.
IRL, "Baronets" are a title roughly inbetween of a Knight and Baron and were historically responsible for all of the Knights within a Barony. It helps to think of them as a "Baronet" is to the "Baron" as a "Viscount" is to a "Count".

If a 3rd Personnel rank is needed, "Man at Arms" can fill the role inbetween of Squire and Pawn as a "Sergeant" in rank.

I was gonna finish Alstalsia but I literally spent all day researching and writing this, so I'll just stop for now and see what everyone thinks.
Apologies for the delay, but another update has been provided:
-Homunculi are not suitable to become Church Knights, and I've forgotten to add this to the draft. This has been corrected.
-Personnel ranks have been fleshed out, and Lieutenant is now an Officer rank. Corps still start with 'Squads', helmed by Lieutenants. The ranks now look like this:

PERSONNEL
-Soldier
-Corporal
-Sergeant
OFFICERS
-Lieutenant
-Captain
-Colonel
COMMANDER
-Major
-General
-Marshal

(no colonel/major swaps, i'm afraid; just because they're very much based off IRL ranks, doesn't mean they need to be 1:1 with them.)

Keep in mind that one or more branches can have a different rank structure than what's provided, not accounting for what kind of rank names they'll use.

I encourage everyone to peruse this updated structure and provide any thoughts or criticisms they may have. If there are no further issues, I will begin preparing to implement the Overhaul after a few days' time.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
[-] The following 3 users Like Chaos's post:
  • K Peculier, Sawrock, Skimmy2