Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shapeshifting into cohesion
Shapeshifter is cool. Here are some ideas I have to make it cooler, and more compatible with other classes - all of which is of course open to critique and changes.

- Volatile Shifting

The chaotic energies of this art manifest in a vibrant manner.

HP costs associated with Shapeshifter skills are instead dealt as unresistable protection-ignoring magic damage based on the element of the installed youkai, or youkai you are going to install via Chaotic Form. (Has no effect when used with Preservation Instinct.)

In other words, item and skill compatibility! This'll synergise with Impure Element, Conversion Gloves, and Reactive Armor. Maybe some other items or skills I can't quite recall at the moment - but it's making the self damage a little more useful.

Additions

- Self-Destructive Shifting

Additionally, halves FP cost of all Evoke skills while under the effect of Bloody Shift.

- Evoke Mastery

Additionally, triggering Chaotic Form removes the FP cost increase from Repeat Action for the Evoke skill used to trigger it.*

*For example: You are not Installed. You use Apodis, for 30 FP. You install Apus through Chaotic Form. If you seek to use Apodis again, it would be 45 FP due to Repeat Action. Evoke Mastery, since you are installed with Apus, lowers this to 31.5 FP. With the proposed change, instead, the second use of Apodis would be 21 FP with Evoke Mastery.

FP costs are a nightmare for basic hitters! Bloody Shift intends to reward basic hitting - but getting a good FP pool is tricky with that stat line-up. Right now, it just opens you up to burning all of your FP in two rounds. If you double down on the HP cost, surely the FP cost can be reduced?

It seems very unintuitive for the FP cost being reduced for the skills of the youkai you're currently installed as... when you use those skills to install that youkai.

In simpler terms... it feels completely backwards. It really doesn't make sense if Shapeshifter is all about shapeshifting! In every other facet of the class, you are rewarded for changing forms - yet you are punished for doing so with immense FP costs that nothing in the class addresses properly. Bloody Shift, similar to Boxer's Geist Schritt skills, means you're spending more FP overall. Unlike the Geist Schritt skills, however, this isn't at as big a detriment to the opponent. No skills or attacks are negated. The only advantage is your action economy. 

Yes, action economy is hefty. Doing more full damage skills and spells than your opponent easily translates to you beating them in the damage race. But if you're going to tack on a HP cost to it, at least make it a little more sustainable in terms of FP. I don't think either of the suggestions above are too crazy in this regard.
number 1 GTer EU
[-] The following 4 users Like JamOfBoy's post:
  • Dystopia, Miller, Snake, TorientalVortX
Apologies if this is Necroing a bit, but I feel like Jam here is hitting some solid points when it comes to this class, which admittedly is one I've personally have come to love as I've been playing the class for a rather long time now, has nothing to compensate for the mass FP drain to the HP cost as well without completely devoting all your items and other gimmicks toward it.

Something that from what I've seen in testing that would help immensely is if the natural evoke that the class has as is present already didn't factor for only installed youkai, by focusing only on already installed youkai defeats a lot of the synergy that comes from the Shapeshifters other main passive ability Chaos Reflex, which focuses entirely on this constant shift and using the evokes of other youkai for chaotic form, rather than the installed youkai as is.
[-] The following 2 users Like TorientalVortX's post:
  • JamOfBoy, Miller
Shapeshifter's been so irrelevant lately, I'm sure they'd need a few buffs to be as equally appealing as Bonder.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Snake's post:
  • JamOfBoy, Miller, TorientalVortX