Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inventory UI Feedback
I want to start off by saying that I really like the new UI compared to the old one. It's both refreshing, and has many features we desperately wanted in a new inventory system. There are however a couple of difficulties with it I'd like to address, and bring attention to, in the hopes that the UI becomes much more streamlined than it currently is.

Let's take a crack at it, shall we?

[Image: kaZxz68.png]

This is the screen you're greeted with when you first open the inventory. Funnily enough it'll open on the screen your game originally was on if you happen to have two moniters, and shift SL2 over to the other, but that's besides the point.

It's incredibly easy to understand what's going on here immediately. You see the tabs at the top, and immediately figure those are probably filters. So are the big squares on the right. You can see your murai, your battle-weight, and your carry capacity. Your item belt, and your equipped items. The search bar is a god-sent, and the ability to make everything smaller via the button next to it also gives much better overview of what you're doing, if you like me have a ridiculous amount of items.

But, there's a couple things to improve here still:

The [Items] page:

- There's no real way to tell which overall 'Tab' you're on 

For clarity, you always start in the 'Items'-tab. It'd be nice to have a big ol' title in the top middle to tell you what screen you're on, or maybe a golden square around the tab you're in to visually indicate what you're doing.

- The button-filters have no names associated with them

This one is especially criminal when you're looking for a specific kind of item, but you're unfamiliar with the UI. You could search it up via the search bar, but you might not recall the name, only the type. 

It would go a long way to have a little box fade in with, for example: [Crafting Materials] or [Quest Items].

- Some items are only visible when ALL filters are off

I'm speaking specifically of keys, discers, and general asago items that have no 'Use' (Except for the furniture planners, which can open the furniture shop now), although I'm sure there's a couple more I've missed in my brief glancing. It wouldn't surprise me if Patreon-stuff also befell this fate. Having a filter specifically for real-world money-stuff would be especially nice so you don't have to look through your whole list, or search for every item individually.

Ideally we'd get tabs for [Keys] and [Asago] on top of what we already have, and discers would be added to the furniture-tab.

[Image: zTMZaKX.png]

We move on to equipment. This one is thankfully not going to be as long for most people as the crafting, and furniture tab, but it might surprise you just how much junk people tend to carry around. Nothing has changed about the UI, except for the type of items shown, and the filters at the top. Unfortunately I have a lot of criticism of this page in particular, so let's take a crack at it, too.

The [Equip] page:

- The filters are unintuitive for the average player

Having a category for every weapon type is nice, but completely unnecessary. Most of the time it'll be a lot of empty tabs if you bother to sell your items, which you will, because not everyone is a Dullahan with infinite capacity. We also live in a PvP-grounded community, which means easy access to your equipment is practically a must.

I propose therefor that the general weapon filters are replaced with [Weapons] [Torso] [Glove/Shield] [Shoes] [Accessories] [Battle-Items] for much more streamline filtering.

- The symbols of equipment mean nothing without explanation

You might notice on the picture I'm hovering over the Spirit Sword, that's on purpose. The little green, and red arrows are supposed to denote what is better/worse than your currently equipped gear, but the numbers are totally different when you hover over the weapon itself. That's because it shows the weapon's MODIFIED stats (From all the parts, tools, materials, etc) in the list, and it shows the weapon's BASE stat-line in the big preview. Understandably this might confuse people who're looking at it, and aren't intimately familiar with the system.

Ideally both the list's numbers, and the preview window's numbers are made the same. Ideally all of them gain a little box that says [Scaled weapon attack] [Power] [Critical chance] etc, depending on which symbol you hover your cursor over.

- Accessories, hand-slots (Minus shields), and shoes can only be seen while ALL filters are on

I don't have much to say on this one. It's kind of annoying you have to deal with all the filters if you look for these. They're going to be vastly the largest amount of your items as well, because people swap these around the most depending on what they'll fight. (Or think they'll fight.)

See the offered solution of the first one.

[Image: byx611X.png]

And that brings us to the last tab. The [Use Item]-tab. You might notice that the preview box is empty this time, and that we've got a fresh new button underneath it. Well, it's empty because most of the items in my inventory aren't actually showing up in the box, at least not from that tab in particular. I play on the newest version of beta BYOND, so I'm not sure if that's the cause, or if all the items just haven't been made compatible. Unsurprisingly I've a couple things to say here as well.

The [Use Item] page:

- No filters at all

The filters are nice to have on the other pages, so I'd personally really like to get them here as well.

At the very minimum I'd like to see [Food] [Mirror Shards] [Recipe Cards] [Asago] and [Spatial Cores] included.

- Most items can't be selected

This is an interesting idea. Currently out of all five pages, only my fishing rod (My Super Rod, not my basic rod), and my throwable sticks are selectable for use via the big [Use] button on the right of the UI. You can tell because the text begins to glow a pulsing blue, and the item actually appears in the preview box.

It'd be nice to see the rest included provided it isn't a BYOND-error in the first place.

If anyone else has any criticism of these suggestions, or the current UI, do feel free to comment.
[-] The following 4 users Like MakeshiftWalrus's post:
  • Blissey, JamOfBoy, K Peculier, Snake
You know those items that're supposed to give qualities like Whetstone (+2 Power), Thin Drill (+4 Accuracy), and so on? With the UI update, those have become nearly unusable because you can no longer select the equipment item you want to modify, at least not without equipping the item or through some other unnecessarily complex route.

Make quality giver items easily usable again, please.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lewdcifer's post:
  • Dystopia, Snake
Adding to this, please for the love of everything make some way to clarify what items in your inventory are adding to your weight and what arent... I today learned custom tome seeds DO add to weight. I've been running out of room because i've been racking them up like crazy and it's not okay to have to actually ask people in confusion if there's any detailed lists of what items add to your weight. I have every mean possible to get rid of what I don't need but if I don't need to destroy or sell items due to my bank being almost always full, I don't want to have to...
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water