Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weiss - Request for being more resistant to Void Poisoning
Applicable BYOND key - duelist17

Character Name - Weiss

Request Type - Void poisoning resistance

Request Details - I want my character to almost never reach stage 1. Note the "almost", the void is still unpredictable. How or Why? Now I'll go into some of the details, the lore will cover everything else. It won't be like the character will have innate resistance in his blood or something, he is a normal human, but what he will have is a technique that will reduce the possibility of getting void poisoning to miniscule chances. The technique being a double layered void veil. While one void veil is an alternative version of it and the second one is a normal one. The alternative one has all the protective qualities of the void veil, but not the void energy absorbing quality, to make it even safer than a normal one, while sacrificing some offensive capabilities. This is based on the game skill void veil that absorbs 3 void energy and also gives protection. In theory, it should be possible to separate these two qualities to create a veil that absorbs a lot more void energy without protection, or in my case - Sacrifices the void energy absorption quality to make the protective quality better, since less contact with void energy already reduces the risks.

I will mention his past in the lore section, but I want him to almost never get void poisoning. Only way he would get stage one, is if he would bathe in void pollution, if his void veils are active(Which they almost always will be). Also, I won't be using black bolt at all, Just a side note, The character never uses it. 

Reason why you are making this request (If Applicable) - Roleplaying a VA is nigh impossible right now if you don't want to let your character die in a months time. unless you A. Don't use Void gate teleportation at all (Then why the hell are you playing VA) or B. Just don't use anything from your main class while you are affected by stage 1, or even after getting cured for it. So basically, delete your main class for an ingame week(or more, most probably more). I don't care about using black bolt, or else i would have mentioned it here as well, to not use it. and since there is no void poisoning mechanic in the game yet, I actually want to be able to play Void Assassin fully and be able to roleplay them without my character dying. And without giving a dumb reason like "Huh, I guess I'm just Lucky". 

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - His Parents: The Mother was a shunned Mercalan because she used her healing abilities outside of Mercalan beliefs once, The Father was a Mage that used different kinds of magic, but in the past has delved into void magic, but almost never used it ever since. They were both Imperialists but were residing in Lispool. The newborn, which is Weiss, was born with a defect. Basically, his body didn't form well enough for him to be living long in this world, some of his heart arteries were not connected and Mercalan Magic that the mother knew was not able to help, only prevented the inevitable. She was also denied help from other Mercalans because of her status and was told by doctors that it was impossible to treat by normal means. As a last resort, by the sheer desire of wanting their child to live, they used void magic, specifically the father did. They were boosting the newborns natural regenerative abilities via void magic (Like a black elixir would in a way), basically mimicking the process on how a heart would naturally form inside of a womb, so that his arteries in the heart would form correctly for his survival. This was when the father thought of an idea to protect the child as much as he could. He managed to create a void veil that was different than a normal one, or should I say, safer. He basically created a version of the veil that did not absorb any energy from the void itself and only had it's protective qualities(Gameplay mechanic based - Gives the protection, does not give 3 void energy). He was using it on the newborn while they were also using the magic to increase his regenerative abilities. Thankfully, by the stroke of good luck, it worked, sooner or later.

After that, they moved from Lispool to Karaten, since the mother was shunned there and the father wanted to further study magic, more specifically, improve the version of the void veil he managed to create. Not to mention they wanted to keep what they did a secret for as long as possible. A few years passed, the kid was just like normal. He was 8 years old already. The father was showing him his studies and notes a lot, although they were still private because he wasn't sure about them just yet. The kid didn't understand much of it though. While he was still 8, the political powers in Karaten discovered what his parents did, shortly after, The Church did as well and to say it softly, they were furious. The parents were sentenced to walk deep inside of Merchana forest, and they were never seen again. This created hatred for Karaten and the Church in the child. No Orphanage wanted him and No one was willing to help a voidborn(That's what they were calling him at the time). He managed to survive on his own in the house his parents bought. As time passed, people forgot about him, He almost never showed himself in public where people would recognize him, always wore something to hide his identity. Not to mention the political powers wanted to keep things under wraps as much as possible, so not many people would know, they most likely assume that Weiss is dead by now.

He dedicated himself to learning all there is to know about his parents, so he read absolutely everything that his father had in his study. That's when he discovered the alternative version of the voidveil, and for some reason, he was able to create it fairly easily. Most likely because he had experienced it as a newborn. But that wasn't all he discovered, He discovered notes that had the idea of combining multiple void veils to increase their potency. But the notes specifically said that the father could not manage to do it. It took Weiss a few years, but he did it. He learned how to create a alternate void veil and stack the normal one above it, basically having two layers of void veils surrounding his body instead of one. While the second layer, the normal one, Absorbed the void energy needed, the first layer was only for absolute protection. So, not he had two sources that would protect him instead of one, and after he managed to perfect this technique, and years of testing out its limitations, He concluded that this was a great discovery by his father, but he would never, ever share it to the mages. No one could find out either, the void veil is invisible, no one would ever know he was using more than one layer. 

He was determined to keep the label of "Voidborn" and show people what he was really capable of, so he started the way of the Void Assassin, Learned everything he could. While at first using two void veils at once was taxing, as time passed by and he practiced them more and more, His usage of the Veils were becoming like second nature, He didn't even need to think about it anymore. With this, and his reckless determination of using the void freely as a voidborn, he was using their techniques as if they were nothing. His will was unwavering and showing absolutely no fear of void poisoning, He had absolute faith in the technique his father had thought. In his eyes, Getting stage 1 void poisoning with this was just as likely as Iahsus suddenly exploding. Although possible, He wouldn't bet on those chances.

As time went by, he even discovered spellthievery via a black market, coincidentally. He wasn't that proficient when it came to magic other than void, but this was seemingly perfect for him, as he despised everything connected to the mages because of Karaten, And using their own weapons against them seemed too good to pass up. After he became 20 years old, people already have forgotten about him, and his mature face was very different from his childlike self. He became unrecognizable to the people, changed his name and even dyed his hair grey. He learned a lot over the years about void magic and even spellthievery, while keeping himself hidden from everyone else. He decided to pursue adventuring to test himself more and more, while exploring and learning about the whole world as well. His hatred - still existing within him, but being controlled to not seem suspicious, for now. The story of the "Voidborn" has only just begun.
Alright, this is quite a large request and there will be a lot I need to cover moving through this, but I'll be going step by step through this. Note that spoilers will contain specific references to the lore compendium, where I'm basing the majority of my answer to this request off of which can be found here: https://neus-projects.net/sl2lore.txt

Quote:Request Details - I want my character to almost never reach stage 1.
Suffice to say, this will not be provided. There are many means by which someone who transits via the void can mitigate the risks through various means such as training, nullstone or voidveil there is only one circumstance in where people would be able to use void magic(?) without incurring any appreciable risk of void poisoning would be the Black Wind:

* Black Wind
- (Can it give them void poisoning?) It can give them Void Poisoning but the chance is so minor that it pretty much never does. The heavy armor that Black Knights typically fight in protect them from the very small amount of exposure they receive for teleporting short distances. Comparatively, things like Void Gates that the Void Assassin utilizes are much less stable, are capable of going much further distances, and so on.
- (Details.) The Black Wind is the wind of the Void, so it's quite literal. Being of the Void, it has some unique properties, such as teleportation and such. It's not nearly as dangerous as, say, Voidgates or teleportation, and the heavy armor of the Black Knight often protects them from any negative effects of it. But it is quite literally a black wind.

While you have caveated that you still acknowledge there would be a chance, it cant be so small that the only 'way' to get it is to bathe in void pollution. Exposure dosage cant fully be controlled for and its simply a combination of having the right training, equipment as well as minimising when you use it and also having luck.

- (If treated and re-exposed, how does the return of symptoms work?) It's pretty unpredictable, because Void magic is chaotic by nature. Its effects on you are somewhat random for that reason. What may have put you in the 'safe' zone at one point may put you over the edge another time.
- (Is there any way to prevent the dangers?) Don't use it too often is about the only way. Void energy is dangerous. It's like playing with fire. In moderation, it's easy to control, but if the 'flame' gets too big, it'll start burning your hands.

Quote: The technique being a double layered void veil. While one void veil is an alternative version of it and the second one is a normal one. The alternative one has all the protective qualities of the void veil, but not the void energy absorbing quality, to make it even safer than a normal one, while sacrificing some offensive capabilities. This is based on the game skill void veil that absorbs 3 void energy and also gives protection
Voidveil's effects on void mitigation are vague, given the only concrete implications we can draw is that of dev noting that people who use VA skills without voidveil are at a higher risk "because there's no 'filter' or buffer." present and that voidveil lessens the risk of void utilisation. While voidveil could be made to function without the radiation skill (and likely provide some added mitigation given you're not exposing yourself to more void energy than necessary) that buffer would still fill, and there is no evidence presented here or that I could find that that suggests the unique 'mesh' of energy could be layered, let alone in a way to provide further mitigation. Furthermore, the use of a voidveil itself is risking void poisoning.

- (Can Voidveil and various VA skills lead to Void Poisoning?) It can but it's very low risk compared to using unsafe teleporting. You're still handling hazardous materials, but you aren't walking through a room full of them briefly, for example.

Quote:Reason why you are making this request (If Applicable) - Roleplaying a VA is nigh impossible right now if you don't want to let your character die in a months time. unless you A. Don't use Void gate teleportation at all (Then why the hell are you playing VA) or B. Just don't use anything from your main class while you are affected by stage 1, or even after getting cured for it. So basically, delete your main class for an ingame week(or more, most probably more). I don't care about using black bolt, or else i would have mentioned it here as well, to not use it. and since there is no void poisoning mechanic in the game yet, I actually want to be able to play Void Assassin fully and be able to roleplay them without my character dying. And without giving a dumb reason like "Huh, I guess I'm just Lucky".
(Italics for emphasis)
While I cant read a direct intention from assumptions, it appears that there's a misplaced concern here. The risk of void poisoning is inherent to the class, but it is not a death sentence. Specifically, after the initial stages of void poisoning are treated, it's unpredictable in how it comes back (see the treated and re-exposed reference) so your character could receive initial poisoning symptoms, get treated and then continue using void Assassin.

Furthermore, from a more thematic point of view, a VA's powers should inherently be used with some tact and forethought and with care given to the user's risk (or not if you're some kind of maverick) and that forms the core of what being a Void Assassin generally is. You can go out and use your abilities to their fullest and not run a 100% risk of dying.

Quote:Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - His Parents: The Mother was a shunned Mercalan because she used her healing abilities outside of Mercalan beliefs once
If reading this literally, this is unlikely. A single case of Mercana abuse would not result in shunning or any form of severe punishment. However, assuming this was a long run matter where she repeatedly abused and disregarded warnings it would be possible.

- (What would happen if someone was using healing magic without worshipping Mercala?) Depends on if they're using healing magic 'destructively' and to what extent. If you're healing old granny's broken hip, they likely won't care. If you're healing the entire town of everything from scrapes to stab wounds, they're a loooot less forgiving. Remember, the ultimate goal of the Mercalan Church in regards to healing magic is to make sure mankind don't develop a dependency on it, so you should weigh the specific case against that to determine your answer.

Quote:Basically, his body didn't form well enough for him to be living long in this world, some of his heart arteries were not connected and Mercalan Magic that the mother knew was not able to help, only prevented the inevitable. She was also denied help from other Mercalans because of her status and was told by doctors that it was impossible to treat by normal means
Mercalans would likely not shun any attempt to help a newborn, even if it was from an abuser, given their entire doctrine operates on the preservation of life. Furthermore, doctors would likely be unable to diagnose this ailment (And only after they tried helping with their own Mercana.) though they would likely give up at a point after the newborn had deceased.

- (Can priests sense wounds in the victim?) There's no magical sense. You have to use visual cues and information from the patient to know how they're doing.

Quote:They were boosting the newborns natural regenerative abilities via void magic (Like a black elixir would in a way), basically mimicking the process on how a heart would naturally form inside of a womb, so that his arteries in the heart would form correctly for his survival. This was when the father thought of an idea to protect the child as much as he could. He managed to create a void veil that was different than a normal one, or should I say, safer. He basically created a version of the veil that did not absorb any energy from the void itself and only had it's protective qualities
Suffice to say, this would not work given that kind of regeneration wouldn't be able to repair a heart (Note that the child's body has already formed) as it only accelerates the natural healing that's already there, it doesn't unform what's already been done, in a sense. Furthermore, if this defect was one that could be repaired by void magic, then by extension it would be able to be fixed by Mercana. Furthermore, a voidveil around a child would not work, given it would still present a risk.

- (How does Black Elixir work exactly?) It accelerates the natural healing of the body, as it says in the skill description.

- (Is Black Elixir safe to use?) Anything that uses Void Energy has the risk.

Quote:Thankfully, by the stroke of good luck, it worked, sooner or later.
The inclusion of 'sooner or later' would imply that even with extraordinary luck on their side, the exposure time would still leave the newborn with an irrecoverable amount of void poisoning due to simply wearing the veil, not to mention that healing via the void is not safe, as established above.

Quote:The parents were sentenced to walk deep inside of Merchana forest, and they were never seen again
This simply would not happen, both for the 'life preservation' aspect of Mercalan doctrine and that while the Church does have immense sway, they simply wouldn't order such a barbaric form of execution to occur. Furthermore, Karaten specifically prohibits entry to the Mechana forest without permits and even then, only for the purpose of securing Mechanation scars.

Quote:No Orphanage wanted him and No one was willing to help a voidborn...He managed to survive on his own in the house his parents bought

It is highly unlikely an orphanage would be unwilling to help an 8 year old, even with the stigma of having an interaction with void magic at a very young age. Furthermore while an abandoned house could be possible, if Weiss' parents were executed or given a near sure-fire death sentence in the way they were, its highly unlikely that the Karaten government wouldn't enter the premises or repossess the home for sale (And therefore discover Weiss within)

Quote:That's when he discovered the alternative version of the voidveil, and for some reason, he was able to create it fairly easily. Most likely because he had experienced it as a newborn.
A child or teenager could demonstrate a proficiency in void arts, but not a specific proficiency in a specific skill due to previous exposure as a newborn. Having a talent does not come from such things.

Quote:No one could find out either, the void veil is invisible, no one would ever know he was using more than one layer.
You could likely not hide this effect as void energy cannot be hidden. Furthermore, it seems like an odd thing to hide given you could very much use it to create roleplay hooks for others that would give you engagement and otherwise help bring interest to the character.

Quote:While at first using two void veils at once was taxing, as time passed by and he practiced them more and more, His usage of the Veils were becoming like second nature, He didn't even need to think about it anymore
Regrettably magic and voidveils do not work like this. It requires continual concentration, which would eventually tire out the user.

In conclusion, This application will be denied for all the reasons listed above. It can be re-applied for once it has undergone significant revisions to address the points I have raised.

Furthermore, I would ask for any reapplication to expand on 'the lore' that supports the request. Lore in the context of applications specifically refer to official lore snippets found in game or through supporting documents such as the compendium, lore threads or matters Dev has clearly said fit in the world lore.
Understood. Big thank you for the explanation. Part of the reason of this character application was for me to understand the world and VA's better. I agree with almost every point made here, But the thing I don't understand is why is void veil so vague in general. There is no explanation anywhere on how it actually works. It protects them but its not safe at the same time, that's the extend that I got from looking things up. And it being a "filter" too. With this, isn't it logical to conclude that this filter is the usage of the accumulated void energy that the veil absorbs from the void? so, wouldn't it be logical to also assume that without that void energy absorption property the risks would die down more or less? basically you're not using it as a filter anymore, but only as an "armor". What Dev said about it giving void poisoning was mentioning the void veil that was using the void energy absorption quality, which should be the thing that actually gives the risk, not the void veil itself. So the concept of an invention of a new type of void veil isn't out of the question, at least in my opinion. it makes sense to me this way. of course dev has not mentioned any of this, this is just assumptions based on his vague answers.  Only thing I disagree with is the reply when you quoted my reason for making the request, I mentioned that even after getting cured for poisoning it is very risky to use void magic for a certain time period, I mean riskier than normal. Quoting the wiki here "Those suffering from the beginning stages can be cured with proper Mercalan treatment and ceasing the use of unsafe teleportation (basically, anything that isn't Majistran qualifies as 'unsafe')". Not to mention that It is said that you won't be able to find a willing Mercalan easily that will treat you, because they see you as a reckless individual who has done this to himself. Quote again - "Early stages of poisoning are reversible by any competent Mercalan, but at the same time the use of Void Energy is seen as 'extremely reckless' by them, so most of them will not feel compelled to treat you, unless you give them a good reason." Furthermore, you said there that you a part of VA's is to use their abilities with some forethought, but then you said u can go out and use their abilities to the fullest, Directly contradicting each other(How am I using it at its fullest when Im limiting myself). So, I stand by my reasoning, good luck finding a Mercalan IC that will treat you everytime just so you can get back to void gate teleportations again. Yeah, not happening. Also one more thing, you said void veil needs continual concentration, but I don't see how that is. Void veils stored energy keeps being there after multiple battles(If you don't use it, you will forever have 60 void energy through 20 battles in-game), so how is the void energy still there if you aren't continually using it? Because if you stop using it, the energy should dissapate as well, but it clearly doesn't.  I apologize if I sound a bit rude or anything of the sort, I'm not trying to, I'm just trying to figure things out.  I will try a reapplication sooner or later, I guess I'll stick to saying "I guess I'm just lucky" till then. Anyhow, thank you again for replying, it was really helpful, and i completely understand the denial, I need to revise the lore, and since a lot of void veil stuff I used is known very vaguely as of now, I would appreciate further clarification about this.

Edit: I forgot to mention. At the end, you said I have to expand the "lore" section with directly referring lore snippets, compendium, documents or what dev said. While this applies to everything else, I can't do this to support a new technique such as a alternative void veil or a double layered void veil, which can be theoretically possible, since they are more or less inventions, something new, Unless It's restricted for me to think of new techniques based off the existing ones.