Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Item Belt Swapping vs Sentimentality
Simple suggestion that'd make a lot of people happier, including me.

At the moment, there's something truly annoying in PvE which is when you swap out of your main hand weapon during combat, if the fight ends before you can swap it back to main hand, your Sentimentality will be gone, reduced to atoms.

So!

Could the game automatically re-equip your bonded weapon if your Sentimentality is like 100 as a bonus? Like, at the end of combat, if that weapon is not your main hand weapon, it re-equips it before you lose Sentimentality so you don't get grieved in the middle of a weapon-swapping combo by someone ending the fight or fleeing?

EDIT:
There's also an easier compromise that I noticed a little too late. It might be simpler to implement too:
- "As long as you have the weapon you're sentimental/bonded to equipped on you (Item Belt or Main Hand), it will not reset."

Karidan made a good point over the IC implications of that, as a side-note.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Ham
I do agree that Sentimentality should likely not clash with a mechanic that just about anyone can make use of, ideally, considering how long it takes to grind up to 100 and all. So reequipping the weapon at the end of the fight might be good, or alternatively resetting Sentimentality at the start of a fight instead of at the end.
[-] The following 2 users Like SolAndLuna's post:
  • Ham, Snake
My input is that sentimentality being compatible with weapon swapping is a bit odd. I mean, what sentiment are you showing your weapon if you're freely swapping it out?

I'd personally go a way that likely would be unpopular and say that weapon swapping should be locked if you're mainhanding a sentimental weapon. Otherwise there's no drawback whatsoever.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
[-] The following 1 user Likes WaifuApple's post:
  • Sawrock
Seeing as it takes like- what, 100 battles for sentimentality to set in? I wouldn't be against it being at battle start, over battle finish.

But I can also understand why it would be reset by battle end, a draw back to using two weapons. But there's already a few of those. Momentum cost, having to build for two things, less item slots. I'd prefer it being at battle start, personally. One less headache.

EDIT: Weapon swap lock based on sentimentality would be just CBT.
[Image: nfxQVrc.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deja Vu's post:
  • Ham
I would say that swapping off of a weapon doesn't necessarily mean you don't hold sentiment to it. Especially since generally it only means you have three weapons on you at any given time, which isn't a realistically unreasonable thing.

If you've got two daggers out and a gun in your back pocket and some guy is trying to murder you from a rooftop you're gonna sheathe the dagger and pull the gun, not say "But muh pappy gave me this dagger, I have to kill him with the dagger or my attachment to my father is G O N E"

I think in the grand scheme of it, losing sentimentality is mostly a nuisance because you have to go regrind it afterwards, which is a pretty jarring waste of time when you have to swap weapons in a pinch or if you have a set that specifically uses three.
[-] The following 4 users Like Karidan's post:
  • Ham, K Peculier, Latto, Snake
Sentimentality shouldn't outright lock someone out of another weapon. Whilst one can argue it'd make sense; another equally can argue 'would someone wield only one tool for the job?' Not to mention as Karidan points out above; it doesn't make the bond someone has with the weapon any less strong if, for a second, they're setting it aside in accordance to something.

It helps gimmicks, niches, and fun interactions as a whole.

-- All of this out of the way? The editted suggestion made by Kunai isn't invasive, and should be fine.
[Image: PersonalNecessaryArmyworm-size_restricted.gif]
Dyrnwyn, ERUPT, and IGNITE!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stenzio's post:
  • Snake
This just makes Sentimentality a must-have, alongside the likes of pre-nerf Fugu, Exceptional Health, and Exceptional Will. There's literally no reason not to pick it over other options, thus reducing the choice of flavor in traits. Not by much as it's just one trait, but this kind of thing can add up as we've seen in the past.

For those saying you can have sentimentality and also use other weapons, you're not thinking alongside the tropes much. In my subjective opinion, this isn't for toolbox characters inspired by the likes of Miyamoto Musashi, this is for someone who's so dedicated to their art that their specialization shines through- refusal to use another weapon out of sheer sentimentality. Of course you can have a deep appreciation for your weapon and use other weapons- but that's not what this "hard core" specialization trait is for.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sawrock's post:
  • WaifuApple
I agree with Saw mostly in that the trait is clearly meant for people who just want to stick to one weapon, it quite literally explains that in the trait's description. It is less so a mandatory trait right now more than it is just a "why not" scenario, given there are so many trait points and still only a handful of traits accessible to your character at any given time.

Losing Sentimentality can feel punishing, but in the end of the day its only 2 power, hit, crit and some durability. The stats, saving the durability anyway, are only the teensiest bit substantial.

I would not rather you be able to gain sentimentality for 2 weapons, hell you can use the same weapon with a different enchant already and keep sentimentality and I think that's already rewarding enough. But if it is an issue to lose sentimentality, I'd rather make it so you lose 25% of your sentimentality per battle not equipped with the weapon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Sawrock, WaifuApple
That's not what I'm asking for. Please read the OP after my edit. ("Sentimentality should not reset if your bonded weapon is equipped at: A) Your item belt or B) Your main hand; At combat end, if this condition is not met, it will reset.")

Sentimentality as it is displays your mastery of one singular weapon. It's the -weapon type- that is concerned, not your -main hand weapon-, so you can have two Tarnadas, both will be treated equally for Sentimentality, so why bother thinking this only applies to that specific weapon? The buffs are minimal, right? Even more a reason why it shouldn't reset! It's not impactful enough to warrant such a severe punishment for OOC mistakes or people being too bloody rushy with their dungeon clearing speed and lack of respect for another's special conditions such as concerns for Sentimentality.

You can swap weapons mid-battle, not lose sentimentality, but when combat ends and if you had your back-up weapon in your main hand? Kiss that hundred battles time investment a fine goodbye.

As I mentioned, this happens more often in PvE, at parties you're not the leader of, you'll have to be asking people 'hol' up a moment, my sentimentality will reset if I don't swap this back in my pocket!' EVERY. GOD. DAMN. FIGHT.

OOCly is annoying, and ICly? Absolutely CRINGE to be asking for others' leniency for OOC reasons, which could pretty much be called metagaming by then. All because of 2 Power/Hit/Crit.

Epic.

Besides the OCD, oh god the OCD when you lose your +2 Power to your weapon and have 98 SWA instead of a clean 100. It truly ruins my happy camping every single time.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(06-30-2021, 03:19 PM)Snake Wrote: That's not what I'm asking for. Please read the OP after my edit. ("Sentimentality should not reset if your bonded weapon is equipped at: A) Your item belt or B) Your main hand; At combat end, if this condition is not met, it will reset.")

Sentimentality as it is displays your mastery of one singular weapon. It's the -weapon type- that is concerned, not your -main hand weapon-, so you can have two Tarnadas, both will be treated equally for Sentimentality, so why bother thinking this only applies to that specific weapon? The buffs are minimal, right? Even more a reason why it shouldn't reset! It's not impactful enough to warrant such a severe punishment for OOC mistakes or people being too bloody rushy with their dungeon clearing speed and lack of respect for another's special conditions such as concerns for Sentimentality.

You can swap weapons mid-battle, not lose sentimentality, but when combat ends and if you had your back-up weapon in your main hand? Kiss that hundred battles time investment a fine goodbye.

As I mentioned, this happens more often in PvE, at parties you're not the leader of, you'll have to be asking people 'hol' up a moment, my sentimentality will reset if I don't swap this back in my pocket!' EVERY. GOD. DAMN. FIGHT.

OOCly is annoying, and ICly? Absolutely CRINGE to be asking for others' leniency for OOC reasons, which could pretty much be called metagaming by then. All because of 2 Power/Hit/Crit.

Epic.

Besides the OCD, oh god the OCD when you lose your +2 Power to your weapon and have 98 SWA instead of a clean 100. It truly ruins my happy camping every single time.

I mentioned in my post that weapon sentimentality is punishing you for swapping your main weapon out of your item belt which is the intended point of the trait. It feels like what you are asking is to for-go this restriction completely to allow you to weapon swap which goes against the point of weapon sentimentality.

Sorry but I just don't see why there should be an exception simply because you keep an extra weapon on your item belt, this just allows you to swap out weapons however you feel like anyways because you kept the weapon on your item belt. I'd rather losing sentimentality be a little more forgiving than allowing you free usage over any item because you kept your main one on your item belt.

I keep my Tarnada as my main weapon, but I notice I might need Fuuma for this next fight, I might need an accurate blessed weapon, I might just want Raijin's potential. So I item belt my Tarnada and swap to the appropriate weapon, going against the point of the trait which is to encourage consistency. If you want an extra flexible weapon you can use 2 instead of 1, and for-go 2hand.
[-] The following 3 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Sawrock, Snake, WaifuApple