Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not-so-Magic Gauntlet
Fairly short one this time.

There are two items in particular - the Magic Gauntlet and the alchemically empowered version, the Metallic Magic Gauntlet - that both have a rather interesting effect to create a shield in their place, granting either a +8 to one of DEF or RES, or instead giving +4 to both. That being said, in most cases they are... rather underwhelming.

The 3 round duration hurts them pretty significantly, especially since refreshing it requires 3 momentum to be used. In addition, the +8 DEF/RES isn't particularly useful, either, in part due to the softcap regularly lowering the actual effectiveness of it and in part because the wide majority of actual shields in the game are simply more effective, providing elemental resistances or other notable effects. You're allowed to choose between Two-Hand and using a shield this way, granted, but once it's active, you're committed - no going back to Two-Hand for the next 3 rounds if you feel that the shield isn't as effective as you'd like it to be, which leaves it more or less impossible to use with any actual effect.

My personal suggestion for it would be that rather than having a set duration attached to it, the effect should last until the same skill is used again. In exchange, the shield being active would consume a small amount of FP each round (likely 5-10 FP). In addition, I feel like it would be useful if all of the three "modes" on the Metallic Magic Gauntlet (Magic Shield, Metallic Aegis, Magical Aegis) could be swapped between at no momentum cost, as well. 

I think that it would provide at least some benefit for those that may want to adjust their strategy on the fly if they can more easily change between the different abilities, or turn it off entirely and instead rely on Two-Hand, without being so heavily restrained by the different restrictions it currently has.
[-] The following 10 users Like SolAndLuna's post:
  • FancyCyclops, Fern, iStabOreos, Maksimum_Fire, Miller, Perdition, Rexan, Senna, SpaceShibe, Tanasinn