Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get more meaningful roleplay?
So this is a bit of a rant, bit of a discussion, bit of a desperate attempt to make sense out of things

My experience

I've been playing SL2 since SL1, on and off. Recently, I got really into it as I sort of started figuring out how to really get into roleplays with people more consistently and I've been playing a character I love. I feel myself staying here a while since I'm loving the game more than ever. But after like two months of my return, I'm feeling kind of empty.

What I'm doing

I've been roleplaying as much as I can: going in the bar, in public places and in people's camps, striking up conversations. I ask questions, put my character's personality forward, use any kind of hooks their profile has, talk about my own relation to them and my story. I flirt, I offer drinks, I ask for spars, I get into conversations, even play drinking games... And I get a lot of surface-level roleplays with random people. I constantly have mildly interesting conversations about each other, and get some meaningless talk most of the time that ends with... What?... Maybe that person will remember my name.

My issue

I want deeper roleplay. I want things to happen between characters. I want to get to know someone better, and talk about my character's deeper traits, his flaws and weaknesses, his fears, his hopes and dreams, and I wanna get to know theirs as well. I want things to happen, with drama, emotions, and interesting stories.

So what am I doing wrong?

My character is Karvan the Lupine Brute. I roleplay all the time, but it's always the same. Is my character not interesting? Are people not into the concept or is it just how I play him? Are people just in the same boat as me? But no, because I see people with deep connections all the time, it's always these little groups of friends who are totally closed to outsiders. I can barely feel like I matter even seeing them multiple times. I'm just a regular, or a guy they kinda know. Is my technique wrong? Are my expectations wrong? Am I just unlucky? Did I not spend enough time roleplaying?

What am I supposed to do to get deep, meaningful roleplay in this game I love?

I feel like I'm losing my mind logging on this game every day hoping for things to happen that never happen, subsisting off the fact that I purely enjoy playing the character and rping in SL2. Plz help
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Akame
Sometimes it's not always the same, and you might have to speak up along the way for RP.  You are not actually doing it wrong. It's that sometimes we don't focus on some players. Though try not get too much attention, but make enough to make them like you. If I can get RP from a character you. Then We can do it back to you whenever we could. This is short, but I tried contributing.
[Image: b69d8dc830a1a6b64ce233e92b2e79c9.png]
[Image: bc307a682fc5f9d2b0a5c0de4dc3aa90.png]
[Image: 5441207b804d39be46ea2d5f9d73eff7.png]
Instead of waiting for someone to find you to explore your character deeper, find someone and get to know them. Sometimes when I walk into an area I go “I pick you” and I try to start something FUN, I don’t ask them the time of day. I vomit CENTIPEDES INTO THE TOWM SQUARE AND GET ADDICTED TO GREEM TEA OR I MAKE UNWANTED ADVANCES TO FRAIL GORLS OR I CAUSE TROUBLE BECAUSE THE DAMN NERDS THINK THEY CAN HAVE A FULL WALLET WHEN MY TUMMY’S A RUMBLING?
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sawrock's post:
  • HaTeD
(08-14-2021, 05:03 AM)Sawrock Wrote: Instead of waiting for someone to find you to explore your character deeper, find someone and get to know them. Sometimes when I walk into an area I go “I pick you” and I try to start something FUN, I don’t ask them the time of day. I vomit CENTIPEDES INTO THE TOWM SQUARE AND GET ADDICTED TO GREEM TEA OR I MAKE UNWANTED ADVANCES TO FRAIL GORLS OR I CAUSE TROUBLE BECAUSE THE DAMN NERDS THINK THEY CAN HAVE A FULL WALLET WHEN MY TUMMY’S A RUMBLING?

This reflects a lot of what I think, a good method into developing your character is finding someone who wants to be interested and interact. This can be multiple people, and making connections can be very important here.

Random interactions in public areas don't tend to be those that would further along your character, something important to remember is we're all in this together, so its important to also be interested in furthering along other people's characters, and they will show the same.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Akame, Sawrock
I, from my own experience, can also say that a portion of it is right place at the right time. You can accidently find yourself in a plotline you had no idea was going on just because you've stumbled across it.
A good way to have that happen -is- to, indeed, just make friends. But it helps to also make OOC connections and friendships greatly. My most meaningful RP only happened because I tagged along on a friend's character idea on a whim and made another character to be friends with their's. That's only an example and doesn't always happen, but... it's certainly proof that the OOC part of the game really does matter. Just meme. Put yourself out there in a positive way. Join the different communities (Hardcore, Milita, SL2 General, etc). That's all I did.

Saw's method I find ALSO works EXTREEEEEMELY well. You don't have to... vomit centipedes, but if you can figure out an interesting hook?
Walk into a town and get people into it, or put up an LFG. That's how I got 90% of my RP when I first started my (current) main character. I just threw up an LFG and people I'd never seen before just showed up and stayed for the RP. Now a ton of people just... recognize me - or they've heard my character's name. I can mention their name in LOOC on other characters and have people immediately recognize it.
I also find that if you can find a less-than-generic playby that isn't a typical anime woman/girl or man/boy, people RP with you more often. That's just an observation, based from the fact that I usually wait to make characters until I have a visually interesting playby now-a-days and they usually get good enough interactions and friendships.

Quote:I flirt, I offer drinks, I ask for spars, I get into conversations, even play drinking games... And I get a lot of surface-level roleplays with random people.

The only problem I think you could be having is that... this is exactly how you get surface-level roleplay with random people. Those people - more than likely - think you just want casual RP and so aren't going to bother going further.
My suggestion, genuinely, would be to pick people who have characters you're interested in yourself, and try to further your relationship with them to where they would be more interested in deeper, more meaningful RP - but keep yourself open to further connections. My main has their main friendgroup, family, and partner... but I keep making friends anyways!
You have to remember that the effort you give is usually matched back - not to imply that you're not giving any effort because I know EXACTLY how you feel and I used to do the same exact things to try and get people interested in my character - and if you do casual RP, a lot of people are only going to give you casual RP.

... I might be rambling, but there's some genuine stuff in there, I promise.
And... I like Karvan, to be honest. You flirted with a 70 year old woman - mad fucking props lmfao. <3
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Shadbase's post:
  • Akame, Poruku, Sawrock
you absolutely do have to vomit centipedes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • HaTeD, Shadbase
Sometimes making a true and lasting friend can automatically link you to more meaningful things.

But again, I believe it's the nature of the beast. SL2 is a very static roleplaying environment. You should be the change you want to happen, rather than wait for it to fall on your lap or shake your ass in hope people will notice you.

It's not hard to make friends either. Be humble, easy-going, welcoming. Ask more about them, show interest, curiosity, and they'll likely be doing the same to you one day or another.

Be the chad alpha thundercock for the insane amount of virgin beta wallflowers we have.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
/wheeze/ i am fairly known ic but micromanaging ever relationship to these people is overwhelming at times. i can feel your issue as well because ive been there several times in the past. my solution pmuch was what i did in terms of interaction. i followed sawrocks advice, and its common advice from him i got a long long time ago. know your ic, see what your own character would be interested in. if you see that in someone else then you pursue them with a t-pose. just dont actually take their lunch money. if things dont happen from that? well its still an experience said character had and could help them grow and continue. i play minerva btw so i know who you are, not just your name if that makes ya feel better
(08-15-2021, 04:31 PM)Snake Wrote: Be the chad alpha thundercock for the insane amount of virgin beta wallflowers we have.
This is basically my entire goal

I wanna thank everyone in this thread who provided help, I've changed how I play the character somewhat and it's been amazing so far with a few tweaks and more active shit-starting. I got the meaningful roleplay I wanted yesterday and I'll be using that knowledge to hopefully get more.

To clarify, I never expected people to go out of their way to start things with me. I'm not entitled to anything I just want to figure out how to play this game in a way I enjoy. That being said, I'll be doing more and more things with Karvan and other chars that will hopefully be fun and change things up.

But if anyone has any more advice feel free to post in this thread regardless, I could probably use it
[-] The following 7 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, Mewni, Miller, Sawrock, Shadbase, Snake
Hell yes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sawrock's post:
  • Fern