Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katanas in GR2
I think my only complaint about the Elemental Katanas is that they're inconsistent. Some have 100% total scaling where others have 110% of the same, with a different flavour of element being the primary difference.

Here's looking at you, Sanjin. Someday you will be as good as you are interesting.

Plus side: At least now there are options for Kensei other than Raijin or Tarnada.
I'd like it if you adjust the other Katanas. Raijin and Tarnada already always have been the best in slot katanas. so tuning the others up to atlesat the same total scaling would be nice.
Agreed, yeah. They could definitely use that treatment.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Its still probably a case of the finesse tag being unfun comparatively, solved by either bumping finesse up to "normal" tag power level (-30+40, or -20+30) instead of its -30+30.

After that fix, I' still think that differentiating them by possibly just removing Kouenjin's finesse tag, giving Sogensara/Yukijin Cold, and replacing sanjin's Finesse with cunning.

Akujin is uniquely scuffed, no one wants to build res as a kensei....but it should probably get the dark tag.
Honestly I'm fine with them keeping 70/40 scaling. Kensei is in a position where, no matter what you build, you want a buttload of SKI to hit, and STR is the sword stat. The problem is that Katanas just don't scale as well as most every other sword, AND Kensei punishes you for not using a katana by tapping you with 4m/skill.

An alternative might be to give Katanas better floor stats to compensate for their iffy scaling. A problem that most every weapon with an interesting effect suffered before the great rescale. For the most part, that's no longer true. But Katanas don't seem to have gotten the memo- particularly when you consider that most of their potentials don't even work for classes that aren't Kensei.

Take, for example, that Spine Leash (considered by many to be a Best in Slot Sword), has 70/40 scaling on top of not one, but two interesting effects. 10% resistance to X is alright, and most of the potentials are either sheathe memes or . . . .Sheathe memes. Most of which amount to 'Drop X tiles, change to Y damage'.

So I suppose what I'm getting at is 'It wouldn't be so bad if Katanas were more interesting' and if they worked for classes that weren't Kensei blends. The elemental attack is NICE. . .But even the non-elemental katanas are kind of wishy-washy. Particularly when you compare them to the competition of Spine Leash or Shine Sword or Narcus.
(09-20-2021, 04:46 PM)Kazzy Wrote: Honestly I'm fine with them keeping 70/40 scaling. Kensei is in a position where, no matter what you build, you want a buttload of SKI to hit, and STR is the sword stat. The problem is that Katanas just don't scale as well as most every other sword, AND Kensei punishes you for not using a katana by tapping you with 4m/skill.

An alternative might be to give Katanas better floor stats to compensate for their iffy scaling. A problem that most every weapon with an interesting effect suffered before the great rescale. For the most part, that's no longer true. But Katanas don't seem to have gotten the memo- particularly when you consider that most of their potentials don't even work for classes that aren't Kensei.

Take, for example, that Spine Leash (considered by many to be a Best in Slot Sword), has 70/40 scaling on top of not one, but two interesting effects. 10% resistance to X is alright, and most of the potentials are either sheathe memes or . . . .Sheathe memes. Most of which amount to 'Drop X tiles, change to Y damage'.

So I suppose what I'm getting at is 'It wouldn't be so bad if Katanas were more interesting' and if they worked for classes that weren't Kensei blends. The elemental attack is NICE. . .But even the non-elemental katanas are kind of wishy-washy. Particularly when you compare them to the competition of Spine Leash or Shine Sword or Narcus.
finesse is -30 +30. their scalinf is 70/30. A cold scaling weapon is -30+40.
Yes. That is why I was suggesting buffing their scaling.