Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Spellthief's spell library
please don't send me to the Shadow Realm again for suggesting Spellthief things

One thing I kinda took note of from my long time of using Spellthief is that a lot of the time, it's really kind of... inconvenient, with the way it is right now. Several things that come to mind are:
  • If the copy spells are at the end of the skill list (as they usually are by default due to you taking them after equipping all of your skills), losing enough WIL/SKI to remove a skill slot will remove all of them, due to the game forcibly removing skills until it's at the correct number.
  • Legend Extending unequips all skills, and unsurprisingly, this also means all the copy spells are gone as well.
  • Any time the Spellthief wants a different spell, they have to go out of their way to go find someone that has it again, even if by all rights they made a card out of the spell before and should ICly have it somewhere.
  • Stealing spells mid-battle is frankly nightmarish, since on top of the issues of getting within 1 range, using 3 momentum to take a spell, and then somehow hoping you survive the onslaught that comes from you being within 1 range of your opponent... you also need to quickly remove a copy spell before the next fight if you were hoping to keep it, otherwise you lose it immediately if it's at the limit and you need to go find the one you stole it from again.
There's more as well, but if I went into details about exactly how Spellthief keeps causing trouble when a character uses said class for a long time, I'd be here forever.

So, my solution to the majority of issues for it is thus - a "spell library" of sorts, where you would be allowed to pick spells for your character to bring into battle based on the ones you stole at some point in the past, while following the usual rules the class has in place.

The functionality for it would be fairly simple - it would show all the spells you could have, and you could place up to 7 of them (in order to account for spirits) into a special area for "equipped" spells. Afterwards, you would press a button, and an emote would pop up to indicate that you swapped copy spells (primarily to prevent abuse of the system), along with the current set of copy spells being replaced with the new ones.

On the off chance some are thinking that the game having a unique menu for one specific class may be a bit much, I would like to note that there is a precedent for it, strictly speaking, as the Summoner line has a menu all to itself already. In addition, it would resolve a lot of unnecessary difficulties with using the class this way, as you wouldn't have to keep thinking "I want new spells, but this old spell I'm using might go if I take them", among other things. And so long as it's limited by both only being able to equip the ones already stolen in the past, as well as an emote on use, it shouldn't be easily abusable.

On top of that, it could provide some interesting RP potential for people if they decide to RP a black market spell merchant, or someone that keeps their collection of copy spells hidden somewhere, at least in my mind. The suggestion could be adjusted at will, of course, but at least in my mind, there seems to be very little reason something like this couldn't be implemented.
[-] The following 12 users Like SolAndLuna's post:
  • Ace, Dystopia, Fern, HaTeD, K Peculier, KitKatarine, Lolzytripd, Miller, Senna, Shujin, The Alpha Bat, Turadis
As someone who tried spellthief in the past the only way to really have the class feel good is to make an alt account with all the spells you want ready in case you LE or a light wind blows on your skill pool (switching tome). It's pretty inconvenient considering spellthief should by all means have access to those spells permanently
Bump.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
If we can get a library can we also get the option to take multiple copies out from our library.

Like lets say I want to to be a dark themed spell thief, my options are pretty limited, could my load out be Asura fist A, Asura fist B, Eternal Darkness A, Eternal Darkness B, ect.
Personally, I'd say "no" on multiples of the same spell, because that can very easily be abusable by taking along 3 copies of Domino Resonate or 6 copies of Explosion, just as an example. Besides, this isn't really a suggestion to make them more powerful, it's more a suggestion to make people's lives easier when they play a Spellthief.