Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Evading On-Hit Effects
With the new Glancing/Evasion system, it's now possible to avoid status effects if an attack is not considered a Direct Hit (IE making both hit checks). This was one of the ways that evasion builds were buffed, and I understand many players who make use of evasion builds very much like this change. However, there are several abilities whose status effects were designed to help counter evasion that were also affected by this change which now make them almost useless.

To note a few examples, Crystal Rose from Duelist while under a Kraken enchant will test a status check to apply Freeze lvl 20, and Ghastly Strike from Ghost forces an enemy into a Guard state which reduces evasion. The issue with these abilities now is that when you have a desire to apply them, you likely have very poor chances of actually doing so and when you can reliably apply them is when you really don't need to use them. Admittedly, abilities like Crystal Rose, and Ghastly Strike still do appreciable amounts of damage, meaning they're not bad as just damaging abilities, but that's all they've really become. The same applies to Bright Bishop, which applies Glowing, which also helps to reduce enemy evade. I've left out Icicle Spear due to the fact that, it's still an insanely strong damaging ability when used right, and I consider the Freeze effect it applies to be more an extra benefit rather than the main use of it, whereas Crystal Rose could be enchanted with other effects that would apply more damage, or Ghastly Strike who's only real benefit is to reduce enemy evade.

I'm unsure what an "appropriate" fix for this is, as making these attacks auto-hits is probably a bit too strong (especially as Freezing effectively reduces enemy evade to 0). But there needs to be some sort of set up or way to have these abilities trigger, maybe with a reduced status inflict chance or level, in order for the abilities to actually matter.

tl;dr, certain skills that were made to help combat evade no longer do so, due to the fact that they rely on a status inflict chance that doesn't even get a proc due to evade/glancing no longer allowing for the status to be applied.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Druby's post:
  • Maksimum_Fire
This also applies to critical main class skills like Fleur. Despite landing a critical glancing blow it will be ignored entirely. IMO that seems very unfair considering it landed if even so slightly.
Wait wait wait, fair point! Fleur, Freezing Crystal Rose and Ghastly Strike should all still be able to be inflicted upon Glancing Blows.

This would be the most elegant solution, really.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
This is probably worth its own thread but I'm just going to say it here that all bonus effects and inflictions (if not at full then at least half the regular infliction chance) should still apply on glancing blows.

Glancing blows already heavily favor the evader. The frankly ridiculous damage reduction evaders get from it should already be enough for them. More so when you consider that the attacks under these circumstances now just have a chance to miss outright on top of that. DEF/RES tanks can reduce their damage too but they're always having those effects trigger on them. As it is now, with the DR from glancing blows + the inability to proc bonus effects, a glancing blow might as well just be considered a miss anyway.

Fleur is one thing but watching a vampire unable to trigger their own Sanguine Crest because they keep glancing starts to get a little silly.
is it really a critical strike if your target made it only glance them?
(10-11-2021, 02:20 PM)HaTeD Wrote: is it really a critical strike if your target made it only glance them?

Quite frankly, yes. The term glancing does not mean they anime sliced some hair strands in the air as you dodge, it means the strike landed somewhat enough to cause some damage. I.E. a graze/cut on the cheek or arm.