Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potentials and Shoehorning
Could certain Potentials that 'only work with a specific skill' also grant that skill if you have the weapon equipped?

For example:

- Eresh's potential granting Eclair Lacroix, without Duelist equipped.
- The 'Jin' Katana series (and Hisen) granting Sheath Sword + Hidden Cut, without Kensei equipped.
- Crystal Blade granting Retreating Swipe, without Soldier equipped.
- etc.

This would allow for more diversity of those 'skill-enhancing' weapons, when the term is class combinations. And this would hopefully kill the shoehorning.

If this ends up being too much, we could also make it so the damage those skills do is either halved, or have their FP costs doubled if you don't have the skill its intended to upgrade equipped.

But I personally don't think it should be necessary.

EDIT: Whoops, Sheath Sword is the requisite of Hidden Cut.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 7 users Like Snake's post:
  • Akame, Autumn, Fern, Karidan, Miller, Pyro, Shujin
I actually really support this, this would be incredibly paramount to establishing these weapons pretty well I feel, I would say this should be a feature of these weapons, and I don't think there should be drawbacks considering that potentials are a main-hand exclusive sort of effect anyway.

To note:
-'Jin' Katana series should grant both hidden cut and sheath sword
-Gel'naia should grant "Pulling Shot" as well.
-Chorusaf could grant Graft and Mass optionally, this one is weird.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Shujin, Snake
Not sure about being balanced enough, Eresh potential can be pretty strong and I can see some pretty strong mixes with Asura fist/Matador or something BUT...

Its kinda cool, and I kinda like rule of cool. Might need some adjustments but the others at the very least seem fine.

I generally like the idea to have "Weapon Skills" or skill tress for weapons themselves, maybe just to make it a little more "Build heavy" there, a talent or trait for these kind of skills. cause "Special Skill 1" alone is not that diverse. But yeah. Leaning a bit out of the window here.
Alternatively We could maybe change the class badge items to allow you to equip a skill/two skills of that class or associated promo.
(06-05-2022, 06:42 PM)Snake Wrote: - The 'Jin' Katana series (and Hisen) granting Hidden Cut, without Kensei equipped.

Hidden Cut really wouldn't do much without sheath sword though- (Yes, I'm just being nitpicky, obviously it'd give both if this were to be a thing.)

Cool concept to make these weapons easier to use. They still have the cost of being forced to be main-handed to be used as pointed out which does limit their use from being universal. As for the actual balance side of things, the only skill potential I could see as being particularly strong at a glance is Eresh impure Eclair, which could be toned down by making these all use rank 1 for the skill (similar to the Cat Mask).
[Image: Rabbit.PNG]
[-] The following 1 user Likes InsainArcaneBirdbrain's post:
  • Snake
(06-08-2022, 06:02 AM)InsainArcaneBirdbrain Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 06:42 PM)Snake Wrote: - The 'Jin' Katana series (and Hisen) granting Hidden Cut, without Kensei equipped.

Hidden Cut really wouldn't do much without sheath sword though- (Yes, I'm just being nitpicky, obviously it'd give both if this were to be a thing.)

Cool concept to make these weapons easier to use. They still have the cost of being forced to be main-handed to be used as pointed out which does limit their use from being universal. As for the actual balance side of things, the only skill potential I could see as being particularly strong at a glance is Eresh impure Eclair, which could be toned down by making these all use rank 1 for the skill (similar to the Cat Mask).

Currently as far as I can tell Cat Mask uses your rank of Steal, and most skills that behave in the way of being granted by items (See: Tarnada) also act this way typically in the case of non-destiny users.

The balancing factor of Eresh's impure Eclair will be its cooldown and FP cost, I believe that to hold true for most other setups that wanna use it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Snake
(06-05-2022, 06:58 PM)Autumn Wrote: -Chorusaf could grant Graft and Mass optionally, this one is weird.

From what I know Chorusaf's potential automatically increases the range of graft (Mass is optional). So I'd like to think that Graft alone would be alright.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ace's post:
  • Autumn, Snake
I think a drawback would be required if you don't have the skills already, perhaps the drawback could be unique to each ability. For instance it could put a cooldown on sheath sword, but increase eclair lacroix's fp cost (sheath sword costs basically no fp).

Alternatively, could buff the skill if you already have it equipped. But I think overall there needs to be some benefit to already having the skill otherwise it favors people who use the non-conventional classes. Though I guess saving SP is still nice
Well, could always make it so using Potential Skills cost 15% of your maximum FP, or as I suggested, double the costs, if you don't have it equipped. But seeing that some potentials already add their own skills with no repercussions, such as Swordsmith's Rain from Grandovyn, that's pretty much the idea I had to make all potentials equal in, well, potential.

If some potential skills are in and not belonging to any class, why can't we have class-belonging ones enabled for weapons that shoehorn you into playing specific set ups?

This might increase a bit the variety of people doing more unique things, which is what the game kind of lacks right now. (Hi Bonder Meta!)

The goal behind this is less balance, and more to allow variety and creativity freedom to follow certain themes. A weapon's potential shouldn't be so harsh on limiting you over where it should be used, class wise. Or else it promotes homogeneity of themes, which is what we really, really find abhorrent in the game; (Hi Bonder Meta! pt.2)

Some creativity freedom is in high demand.

Besides, it's just one skill. Not the whole class. It's not like giving someone Eclair Lacroix is also giving them Flottement, Fleur, Sidecut, Sharpen, Disengage and literally everything else that makes Duelist, well, Duelist.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't know if I'm really in the minority here or not, but I don't actually think just giving the skills would be seriously overpowered, I think its just a cool addition that could add a lot to some character diversity.