Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and Mirrors
Can we have it so that if you are targeting a tile that you cannot see one of a few things happen.

A ) Your maximum hit chance is capped at 50%, regardless of if you are a Kaelan or otherwise.

B ) If you select a tile that you CANNOT see, you attack there regardless, even if there is no valid target there (To stop people from trying every tile in their range past vision to land a friggin invocation)

C ) Just.. disable being able to attack a tile that you cannot see. It's not ideal, but it'll stop it.

B is the one I'm more leaning to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rendar's post:
  • HaTeD
I am all for something along these lines, so long as its balanced. Vision obscuring objects and effects are quite niche, even more so after smoke was changed, and it's always felt very weird that it rarely has any functional effect because their attacks either auto lock on or can only target a valid tile which they can then find by trial and error. Although I would like to say that B is my preferred option, obscured tiles also make you lose sight of your currently targeted tile which could lead to mistakes even when you're sure of where your target it. A is probably the safe choice for balance purposes, unless a change can be made so that obscured tiles don't obscure your targetable tiles during attacks as well.
I'm not into this personally, unless tactician's stone wall gets a nerf. Its effectively about the same as old smokescreen as far as I recall.
I am not at all much of a fan of denying vision in the first place, and I feel like if White Prison got abused to some degree, people would call for it to stop denying vision probably and instead stop projectiles (Like water wall)
I think that it would be quite interesting to play around if option B were worked in. Due to the limited area that the likes of white prison obscures, it would have a simple counter in larger aoes that leave nothing to chance. If that’s not available, it comes down to this:

Your opponent puts down white prison, then uses some kind of movement to throw you off on their position. You then have two choices. You move to their side of the wall to locate them, which leaves you both pretty much neutral on momentum after their own movement skill, but coming closer might be exactly what they wanted you to do. Alternatively, you disengage and move around yourself while playing the guessing game, or even just move away. The wall’s vision obscuring works both ways after all, but getting you off of them could also be exactly what they were after. Either way, it presents some interesting gameplay choices that encourage you to read your opponent, as well as where you’re better off being yourself.

At the end of the day, any change made here works for those on both sides of the wall.
White Prison needs to be changed away from that, it hinders both friends and foes if misused.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
This is the kind of thing that would be neat in theory, but I don't think it would be in practice. It's the sort of thing where people would start looking at their teammate's targeting square, and begin shouting "left! More to the left! Up! You got him!", assuming someone didn't just run in to spectate on a different character to address the line of sight issue entirely.

I'd rather we not incorporate too many LoS mechanics, personally.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kameron8's post:
  • Autumn, Collector, Fern, Miller, Sawrock