Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Board - Invention Application
Applicable BYOND Key -sirtrex

Character Name -Linzi Kilima

Request Type - New Technology

Request Details -
I want my character to be able to invent and market a new piece of technology: the focus board.

The focus board is essentially an etch a sketch that uses focus and a focus sensitive sand to allow the user to draw and write on. Its housing is made up of a special iron-etherium alloy that gives it decent strength, but also allows it to automatically repair itself from minor damage. It also can expand and contract to different sizes. From the size of a large poster (equivalent of a shout) down to the size of a cell phone (for whispers).

In addition to allowing a user to draw or write on it, the board can be used to print said drawings to paper as well. After pulling a pin, the board can be pressed down to turn the pad into a printing plate. Cover the board in ink, and it can be placed down on paper or loaded into some type of press to make copies of whatever the user wrote or drew.

It was initially designed to allow mute characters to more easily communicate without carrying absurd amounts of paper, but it could easily be used by other characters looking for an convenient place to take notes and share them with their allies.

Usability depends on the user's level of focus control:
     People with excellent focus control can draw or write on it by simply directing their focus into whatever shape they desire, and erase it in a similar fashion.

Those with less focus control can still draw on it by directing a small amount of focus into their finger or a stylus to draw on it like a regular tablet. And erase it by drawing the focus away from the board in the same way.

Those with no focus control at all can still use it via a stylus that draws a small amount of focus from its environment. The image decays slowly over time as the focus depletes, but it can be quickly erased by using a focus absorbing bar attached to the side of the board. Shaking it hard works as well, but it tends to only fuzz the image not completely erase it without a certain amount of decay time.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) -

Its an idea I had while my character was recovering from a neck injury, and i was RPing being mute. Playing charades with people was interesting, but I was laughing about the immense amounts of paper required for him to talk to anyone in detail.
Necessity is the mother of invention, and i figured this experience could inspire someone with Linzi's expertise to develop such a product.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request -

With his knowledge of alchemy(lvl 6), metalworking(lvl 3), and his engineering knowledge he was able to fashion this device. His main class engineer can create robots controlled by streams of focus, so making a drawing pad that uses focus to control sand seems well within the pale of his abilities and the technological landscape of Korvara.

Linzi has a small workshop and is trying to find things to sell to further his business ventures to make money for a special project. Should the product perform well he could expand his operations or work with other industrialist characters to mass produce it.

If accepted, I plan to run a product demonstration somewhere showcasing this, and other things he's invented to put his company on the map.

RP justification:

Due to a neck injury, my character was unable to speak for a decent period of time. Forcing him to talk through body language, and writing notes on paper. During this time he wished he had a way to communicate that didn't require him to carry a books worth of paper and ink around, or and endless game of charades. Thus he was inspired to create this product.  His neck recovered, but even with the ability to speak, the pad was a great way to take notes, draw on, or copy his writing to multiple pages. If it was this useful to him, why not to others, whether they could speak or not?