Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PvE difficulty scaling
So it's no secret that, for many, soloing (almost) all PvE content on korvara is no issue. Sure, harder content may come down the line, but there remains a pretty big issue that I want to discuss:

Supports. There is essentially no reason at all why someone would play a full support for PvE right now and I think that's quite a shame. The bulk of content is about killing a small pack of mobs as quickly as possible. For most people who have high end builds, having a support in their party literally just slows them down. I think that's a huge shame! And why is that the case? Because the game is too easy. That means any full support focused build would need to be babysit and carried to max level, while the carry doesn't get much out of the exchange!

I suggest that there be a sort of mechanic that, optionally or not, increases the difficulty and rewards that the standard grind offers for parties.

For instance, a simple thing would be to add +1 mob per extra party member.

In addition, there could be a way to toggle a setting, perhaps something that is done at the crystal terminal, that increases the stats and damage of enemy mobs in exchange for a multiplier to xp and gold rewards.

Finally, I would like the bosses to be beefed up as well. Add an option to make each boss actually raise to level 60, and give them some more momentum or op abilities to make them truly strong so that a party can be challenged.

I don't believe engame raids and such is the answer to the lack of difficulty. I would like the grind to 60 to be challenging and rewarding for a well built team, which would mean people would actually team up, build supports and a variety of builds. And no longer brainlessly grind for hours on end just to get it out of the way. I wanna enjoy grinding again. No matter what shape it takes, please make the base game harder and fun, not just new content.
I feel like this is situational. Not everyone can solo dungeons, I've seen a lot of people go down hard in them. Hell I still get destroyed from time to time (poison/burn mobs are wildly difficult to deal with if I'm not careful alone. )
Like I'm sure there are SOME builds that absolutely mow through dungeons, but what I've seen most is people using captured mobs to clear dungeons because doing it by themselves would be too high a risk or equate to losing. I understand the idea is to get everyone to team up to do these but as long as people still rely on the mercenary monsters heavily, I think thats indicative that the content is currently difficult enough. Theres also the use of the traps that completely trivialize all the mobs in a dungeon if you play your cards right (something that isn't hard to do. )

Again this is just highly dependent on the build that someone is doing- and by raising the bar like this you might be making it needlessly more difficult for the next guy that doesn't have an omega level build or can't get a group of people quickly. I understand the sentiment though.

Also I'm not advocating for the removal of traps or mercenary mobs but y'know just outlining the fact that people use them because its hard for them. Your build in particular might be having an easy time but your neighbor might be having the worst time in the world.

EDIT: Now if its a mechanic people can opt into and it isn't forced then I guess I could jive with that but a overall increase would be worrying.
Soloing is mostly fine in terms of difficulty even though top tier builds can trivialize most stuff except poison/burn sometimes and some bosses, but this suggestion is more geared towards partying.

It wasn't clear enough in my original post but I would like any increase in difficulty to be optional. I think crystal terminals are the perfect way to implement it. Simply have Nemalyth give you a permanent buff or something that modifies battles when you enter them as the party leader. You can toggle it at the terminal.

I think the game is hard enough as a baseline for people who aren't trying to be sweaty. But again, it's to make those team comps make more sense. Especially making the support leveling/grinding experience not a pain/useless. And giving PvE lovers something to do that is interesting without relying on raids. And heck, it could be combined with future raids or hard content to make it a really difficult challenge for the tryhards out there (like myself). I love this game but I mostly enjoy PvP because the PvE is simply too easy. There's no reason to minmax yourself for PvE or plan a team composition when everything in the game can be completed with a random team of non-optimized level 60s. And I think that's a real shame because there is so much potential in terms of strategizing and team composition in this game! People just don't use the synergy stuff or support builds even though they're out there. Just imagine if someone made a team of ranger doriads, or maybe a super buffing tactician with a team of knights. Or a firing squad. Or a performer that buffs the hell out of evokers. Or a team of invincible paladins that heal each other. Or even just a duo of one support and one damage dealer that work well together. Why would anyone do this? There's no point. Because pvp is almost exclusively casual and there is no hard PvE. And even if there was hard PvE, it doesn't let you level up as a team in a way that feels like it rewards the amount of effort you put in to be well organized and powerful, and it probably isn't going to challenge your team because there is no difficulty scaling so the top tier content must be doable by your average ragtag team.

Sorry for the bonus mini-rant lol but yeah it'd be optional
Then I can vibe with that for sure. 
Honestly pumping up difficulty to team up and have a chance of extra drops money or other drops that weren't available before but would be now cause of the higher level would be really rewarding.
one thing I find kinda hilarious is that player parties often outnumber normal mob groups in dungeons. Even more so when they make use of Mercenaries or Summons.

I do think increasing mob size for bigger parties, at the very least, is good for serval reasons. People do not rush as much from encounter to encounter while still having the same reward (Multipile parties in a dungeon can actually steal less encounters from another). The only issue is that admittedly just because most Veterans think its easy, new players do actually struggle while they figure out how their classes work. Atleast for a bit, so maybe having it tied to crystal option to increase difficulty doesn't sound too bad to me.

However that is still just a bandaid. We do really need a bit more challenging stuff, if you want supports to actually be meaningful in PvE and I am sure its coming eventually...One day.
I'd love some way to get a more challenging encounter, whether it be something like numbers, or something like the challenge tower in Korvara. There's only four dungeons to go through at max level, and a lot of the mobs there aren't even level 60.