Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spell Parries [2.68/Test Server]
I've noticed that Ring of Pearls and Ice Point Guard can parry spells cast from gem staves, though Know no Pain doesn't, even when point blank.

Parry behavior seems inconsistent and it's difficult to know what's intended and what's not for testing purposes, so would it be possible to get a list of which parries should affect spells? As far as I'm aware, the list of parries in the game includes:

Eviter, Stalemate, Know no Pain, Ring of Pearls, Ice Point Guard, Bullet Barrier, and Tonfa's Potential.
Hi! I tested this!

For Eviter specifically, there was a very easy way to test: debug mode shows the check for Eviter, and whether or not it succeeds or fails if it rolls to parry.

[Image: 9jdMTt1.png]

Here's Vyd casted with a sword - Magical Star - on someone with Eviter and a suitable melee weapon to parry with. As you can see, the check for Eviter doesn't make it past the starting point, where it reads the weapon the attack is being made with and the actual skill that's being used.

[Image: KNW2BYx.png]

Here's a basic attack, where the check continues, telling the % roll and whether it succeeded.

In case anyone is lost in the logs, this is the important part:
[Image: mgQXO1x.png]

This means it rolled to parry and failed. If it succeeded, I would have parried the attack.
In summary, Eviter cannot parry spells even if they're cast from melee weapons.

I went ahead and tested the other parry skills just in case, which is where we run into an issue with Ice Point Guard.

[Image: e15dFdQ.png]

Ice Point Guard and Know No Pain share the same clause in their description.
Ice Point Guard: "chance to parry martial weapon attacks/skills"
Know No Pain: chance to parry monster weapons & non-ranged weapons (skills & attacks)
Eviter and Stalemate share the "attacks/skills" clause and cannot parry spells.

Despite sharing the same clause, Know No Pain, Eviter and Stalemate cannot parry spells, but Ice Point Guard can.

This means Ice Point Guard is in the wrong here, either in terms of skill description or functionality. To recap:

Eviter cannot parry spells.
Stalemate cannot parry spells.
Ice Point Guard can parry spells despite its description.

Ring of Pearls does not state that it only works on "skills and attacks", so Ring of Pearls is functioning as described.
Bullet Barrier can not parry spells cast from guns.
can't test tonfa

What do we take away from all of this?
Ring of Pearls says it can parry attacks made from weapons, other parry skills state it can parry skills & attacks - the wording is confusing and vague. Ice Point Guard and Ring of Pearls are the odd ones out either by design or otherwise, but all parry skills could use some clarification. Something as simple as "but not spells".

And as a disclaimer, since parry chances are RNG and I can't see if I roll to parry in instances other than Eviter, I could have simply missed parry attempts in my testing and erroneously assumed something could not be parried. I was thorough and patient, but it is still possible.
number 1 GTer EU
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamOfBoy's post:
  • MegaBlues
Appreciate the thorough testing. I don't think any of what you found is unintended behavior, but I have clarified on the relevant skills which can't parry spells that they, in fact, cannot do that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neus's post:
  • Fern