Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blue potions
Kinda stupid to have infinite FP in battle this easily.
Please make them not be infinite in battle, with only one item slot used.
Or at least give potion sickness so they can't be spammed forever.

Maybe make some larger versions of blue potions too, if they become unstackable. Base blue can stay giving 0 potion sickness. Larger ones give potion sickness. 
Currently you can just quaff two of them every round forever.  Which is about the same FP per turn, or even more so than what Hyattyrs with high sanctity get spamming channel magic. . . And you can even just buy blue potions in any town pretty much, for cheap.

Very lame. We already have so many ways to have infinite fp, between so much fp regen, low-no cd moves that regenerate a bunch, and weapons that can restore it too, the recycle talent. . . I don't think Blue potions need to be the way they are, and really just come across as being kind've lame. 

But maybe i'm the weird one!
That post sounds like salt. Gives me the impression you fought someone that stalled you and spam blue potions to get their FP back, which is ironically funny if that’s true. You'd probably hate Mana crystal from Shapeshifter or the FP regeneration from Evoker.

Blue potions are perfectly fine. Their base amount is 20 FP. Talent investment is needed for it to reach 45 FP for 3 momentum. The most you can get a turn by using that entire turn is 90 FP.

They’re not meta breaking as abilities average cost are between 15~30. Going off that alone, one blue potion gives someone 1 to 2 attacks. In this era where momentum means something, burning turns over and over to get enough FP to operate can and will cost you a fight, worst in PVE; especially if the build or monster has a way to close gaps easily. (Which is very common)

Most people don’t even run Blue potions as they have many ways to regenerate more FP for less of a momentum cost. Some have it built into their race and a good amount of classes have the option. They’re not meta breaking or a must-have item that requires a nerf; just an optional situational potion that can or will get overshadowed by other options/items for that item slot. They’re something anyone can buy equip and use, even though most fights will end before anyone even needs them.

So yes, might just be you; Blue potions are fine.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Senna's post:
  • Fern, MegaBlues, Miller, Shadbase, WaifuApple
It costs an item slot and 3m to use. It's a simple tool that helps alleviate classes with less FP recovery options accessible to them, hardly affects the balance of the game as a whole unless you consider engineer and/or rune magician stall strats which are an entirely different matter that Blue Potions themselves shouldn't suffer for.

Senna pretty much puts my personal thoughts into words and the OP of this thread even points out that there's already a ton of FP recovery options. So I don't really understand the point this thread is trying to make by suggesting a nerf.

Personal bias is fine and all, but when you practically shoot your own opinion in the foot in the very same post; it becomes a bit questionable to even consider in the slightest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Miller's post:
  • Fern, Snake, WaifuApple
I find Blue Potions to be an interesting thing, actually. Would I rather fight a tank like Arctan who runs out of FP and spends the whole rest of the battle walking about and trying to rely on passive recovery that they have very little of (and have this fight go on a long time from this point) or would I rather him use blue potions to have a bit more FP to make these kinds of long fights actually entertaining and interesting in the back and forth?

I'd go for the latter. Blue potions being the way they are makes fights that were already being drawn out at least have a few more turns of flash to them. Maybe there are some fringe cases, but I've generally found others using blue potions to be fun. Sure, it means I might lose a fight I otherwise didn't, but a loss that was a little more of a spectacle is better than a win that was a whimper for half of it.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
[-] The following 3 users Like WaifuApple's post:
  • Fern, Miller, Snake
Hard no.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Miller
(02-20-2023, 02:03 AM)WaifuApple Wrote: I find Blue Potions to be an interesting thing, actually. Would I rather fight a tank like Arctan who runs out of FP and spends the whole rest of the battle walking about and trying to rely on passive recovery that they have very little of (and have this fight go on a long time from this point) or would I rather him use blue potions to have a bit more FP to make these kinds of long fights actually entertaining and interesting in the back and forth?

I'd go for the latter. Blue potions being the way they are makes fights that were already being drawn out at least have a few more turns of flash to them. Maybe there are some fringe cases, but I've generally found others using blue potions to be fun. Sure, it means I might lose a fight I otherwise didn't, but a loss that was a little more of a spectacle is better than a win that was a whimper for half of it.
What do you mean you don't want me to spam 7M guards for 20 rounds
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ray2064's post:
  • WaifuApple
Please no
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
Blue Potions serve as a pretty good fallback tool to ensure you don't randomly wipe due to an FP issue along the way, as more of a QoL thing I'd like to keep them as they are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Miller
Item slots should have actual value, if people can just spam carialite (And this got changed!) and blue potions add infinitum because there's no drawback for doing so, then that defeats the entire purpose of having to think about what items you bring into battle. Being able to have infinite FP For very low cost, by using one item slot. . . Seems extremely braindead. And also pretty much makes all the class-specific FP regenerating tools useless by comparison. (And Channel Magic) With the possible exception of Evoker's Absorb Power since it lasts several turns for 3m only.

I really don't understand the logic that blue potions are fine and should be infinite and not give sickness, but every other potion and item shouldn't be. I can understand that having no fp is boring, and that blue potions fix that, so people want them to always be usable . . .But I still think it really detracts from the whole point of having item slots. If you have big fp issues, equip four blue potions? At the very least, a cooldown for items that have infinite uses from one item slot would be nice. Just a one turn cooldown so you can't use two bombs or two blue potions every single turn.

As for salt, no, I've never lost a fight because of blue potions. . . At least since Korvara dropped, anyway. I'm sure I have in the past at some point. I play summoner right now. Doesn't make it any less thoughtless for it to have no drawbacks, infinite uses, take one item slot, and not give potion sickness though.
So, the value of a blue potion isn't actually that high, a lot of the power comes from the ability to just buy them outright from any general shop in Korvara itself, otherwise they are a chore to make and buy and stock up on. The item itself isn't strong AT ALL if it cannot be used multiple times. If you want it to be able to be used in a way that is limited to once per battle, so that its not 'unlimited fp', then you need to propose and convince people to increase the power level of a singular blue potion to match that slot in your item belt.

Let us also keep in mind that infinite usage items on your item belt are not exclusively unintended, as bombs were changed specifically in a way that allowed their unlimited usage in 1 slot as well.

Potions that give you potion sickness also generally are not considered quite as well either, as FP is a less important resource than HP. So most would prefer not to disable themselves from being able to chug a health potion for 2-3 rounds because they needed FP for their build to function.

That said, if you increase the power level of a blue potion to match that level of a singular item slot, then you are also changing it in a way that enables people to recover far more FP with 3m than any other method of regaining FP in the game with. Its a tough balance to try and touch blue potions right now, as you are delicately attempting to balance out it's current drawback, momentum costs.

And that is how you should think of Blue Potion's infinite FP for now, it is a momentum sink compared to other more reliable methods such as stacking FP Regens, Absorb Power, Coil, Crazy Riff etc. (Most people just stack high max FP, as getting to the point where you need to spam blue potions in a serious pvp fight is the opposite of what you want to happen, momentum is the most important resource you will spend in a fight.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Miller, Senna