Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Forceful Exorcist
how about something like
+3 hit per White spirit on the target
+3 Crit per Black Spirit

I am fine with mechanical numbers, but I see no reason why you want to force people to regrind so long. You do not even have to do that at the death of an Character. Unless we finally say Death actually matters mechanically now aswell, I am all for that!
Man, can't believe an Apertaurus gets to fulfill their IC in a mechanical manner that while inconvenient is nothing more than something an individual will passively just recollect for their mechanical needs.

If I get ran up on by the 3 Appy players and catch those hands, they deserve to send my spirits straight to hell.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Balor's post:
  • Poruku, Shadbase
I'd rather they be able to fulfill their IC in a mechanical way that gives them some support in the meta rather than just being annoying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes caliaca's post:
  • Shadbase
I'll be frank, While I Agree from an IC standpoint, Mechanically speaking and how literally everything else in SL2 works? It really doesn't need to be.

You can just flavor it with RP without needing to mechanically have them gone.

Theft, death, injury and all the good juice is just as well waved with RP not with a Mechanic it depends on what your RP partner is up to and allowing.(well I guess technically we have one armed trait now)
I rather max 3 characters out than get 5 times the right spirit, simply because of how stupidly RNG they are.

Not saying I am against it entirely, but if we open this floatgate, then we better actually get actual thieving perks and stuff, or make death actually meaningfu. But I assume most people would not be too happy about that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Sawrock
I'll also accept this idea if they insta kill any amalgama on down.

(/s)
[-] The following 1 user Likes caliaca's post:
  • Shujin
I want to note that mechanical inconvenience wasn't and won't be a primary factor in my opinion regarding the proposed trait. Roleplay is going to be my primary concern, and it rightfully should be.

Because there's myriad roleplaying potential in spirits and all things spiritual, including possession and exorcism.

Losing spirits on death has always been a thing.

Respectfully, I'd like to ask you to move discussion regarding the inconvenience behind the loss of spirits - which again, the mechanics of such this suggested trait DOES NOT CHANGE OR ALTER - to a Balance Fu post or another suggestion.
number 1 GTer EU
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamOfBoy's post:
  • Shadbase
(02-24-2023, 12:04 AM)Shujin Wrote: Theft, death, injury and all the good juice is just as well waved with RP not with a Mechanic it depends on what your RP partner is up to and allowing.(well I guess technically we have one armed trait now)

I'm not sure if you knew this, but uh. You can mechanically steal from people? It's in the rules that they're allowed to steal items from you, you just can't steal things like donation items / regalia'd gear, and things like that because that's literally just stealing IRL money from them mechanically. You just actually have to RP doing it. Just like how you have to RP getting into a fight with a Reaper/Appy for using spirits. They'd still have to RP stopping you and demanding that you lose them - randomly coming up and PVPing someone without actual written purpose in RP is no more than RDM and is basically against the rules.

Not to mention, the best option would be to - well, if you want to not -mechanically- lose your spirits... don't allow yourself to get into a PVP fight with a Reaper/Appy? This would quite literally only apply to if you got into a fight with one who's trying to ram you for not relinquishing your spirits. They can't force you into a PVP fight, it's against the rules in either side of the game because PVP can be a touchy subject.
Like I said - if you don't have to ever give up your spirits mechanically in RP, then don't rely in PVP to get yourself out of the RP'd consequences of your actions.
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shadbase's post:
  • JamOfBoy
But... it does alter it. Previously, there were ways to mitigate this annoyance by playing an Amalgama or by wearing a collar, or the new trait.

It's hard to really divorce the concept of spirit loss and re-grabbing them from this when it would specifically remove the intended counterplay to not have to deal with that annoyance. They are intrinsically linked. Losing spirits has always been a thing, that's objectively true. However, not having any chance at counterplaying it has not always been a thing and thus it's still part of the discussion. 

If we do wanna talk about just the mechanics of it, I would honestly say it'd feel pretty bad for Amalgama's trait to just straight up be invalidated by another race's trait. Or to have an accessory I purposefully devoted to a slot to just be invalidated for no investment. The frosted collar at least is a fairly significant opportunity cost, and for that to be invalided doesn't seem awesome to me. It also makes Amalgama's special mechanical thing overruled, which I would also say doesn't feel great because in adding a new way for one race to feel special you're removing anothers.
[-] The following 2 users Like caliaca's post:
  • Sawrock, Shadbase
My take on this:

Soul Guide - If you defeat an enemy who is a Ghost, Possessed or Undead, you will reap some of their essence and restore HP/FP equal to Character LV * X (2 + 1 per 1 Spirit).

If the opponent was possessed by spirits, they will also be afflicted with Spirit Shock, which disables their Spirituality Talents for the duration of X rounds (25 or so?). This lasts between multiple battles.

The (cooked) IC: A bond between a Possessed and their Spirits is something the Reaper/Appertaurus can naturally disturb with their racial magic, therefore weakening the link between a spirit and the ones they are possessing. This is a key process to successfully exorcising through force, yet and however, the rest of the procedure requires the victim's own mental push to be completed, and the opposite may as well as happen, in which through sheer willpower they can retain those bonds and strengthen it once more over time.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Maybe if white spirits stopped giving +1 to skill ranks, people would start using them for roleplay purposes again lol.

Spirits are supposed to be risky business, and the business of an Apertaurus or a Reaper is to get rid of them and be a conflicting interest with those who would host them, its good for roleplay, allow them to fulfill their job mechanically as they do in roleplay as well.
[-] The following 5 users Like Autumn's post:
  • JamOfBoy, MegaBlues, Miller, Sawrock, Shadbase