Phoenix Scratches

"VAs are too strong!" "Evokers are too weak!" "Nerf Kinu!"
A place for all your ideas and woes regarding game balance.
Spoops
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Phoenix Scratches

Post by Spoops » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:36 am

Phoenix Talon is not a very good skill currently, I think that can honestly change if you just remove the airborne clause from it and allow it to just proc on kicking skills, its already a buff you have to apply with momentum, just making it more of a tool to use when spacing anyways, as the damage will hardly beat out just pumping out a regular kick with the same momentum.

a very simple request that might make the skill more applicable in situations and be worth the skill points.

Lonestar
Talkative Poster
Talkative Poster

Re: Phoenix Scratches

Post by Lonestar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 am

I've done a Verglas based on bonus damage like Ice Point Greaves with Phoenix Talon. The results was more underwhelming than I expected, due to Phoenix Talon being extremely gimmicky.

I agree with the OP, the airborne requirement needs to go.

DoctorMad
Intermediate Poster
Intermediate Poster

Post by DoctorMad » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm

I find making it passive and keeping it airborne only a infinitely more attractive proposition, design/fluff wise.

Is there any reason for wanting it done this way? It'd still be a buff you have to reapply for 3M every 3 turns.

Spoops
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Spoops » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:00 pm

DoctorMad wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm
I find making it passive and keeping it airborne only a infinitely more attractive proposition, design/fluff wise.

Is there any reason for wanting it done this way? It'd still be a buff you have to reapply for 3M every 3 turns.
At ranks 3 and 5 it does gain an additional +1 duration so its not every 3 turns, the buff still has to be applied yes but you're not always gonna be in range to kick a target, 5 round duration is plenty of time to make a bit of use out of it anyways.

If it does become a passive it might just be a "Why not take it" skill, because it'd be free damage so long as you have access to put people airborne, like with Dragon Gale/Point Kick/Korkenzier (Though in Boxer's case its abilities are not kicks.)

Snake
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Snake » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:50 pm

I suppose it could just do double damage on airborne enemies, and the current damage on non-airborne.
"Show me what you've got, Snake!"
Image ~ Dev, 08/16/2016.