Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Event] Festival Invitation (29/06/2019)

Date: Saturday 29th June ... Time: 18:00 EST (Start) - Late (Finish)

The following flyer would be pinned to noticeboards throughout the world of Sigrogana - not exclusively Kysei - by peasant militiamen bearing a red livery displaying the insignia of a golden, rampant lion. Certain adventurers would recognise this symbolism to denote the House of Hamilton, from a small, rustic region of Southern Kysei known as the Moors.

[Image: Invitation.jpg]

To expand upon the flyer itself, this would of course be a 100% PUBLIC event, open to all comers from the community regardless of whether you have had any involvement with the previous story arc associated with this place or not. The Summer Solstice holds particular significance for ancient, heathen cultures, as it represents the apex of a battle between gods of light and dark - and it is during this time that many people will look inwardly at the battle between light and dark within themselves. For me, there is no better way to celebrate a time of great personal change than to share the fruits of one's labours with all, to set aside past enmities and start fresh. The cheesy stuff aside, attractions include...
  • Opening Blessings: A brief 15-30 minute (dependent) prayer to the Goddess of Life (yes, we do mean Mercala) and the elemental spirits of Sigrogana for balance, happiness and stability in the years to come. An open platform will be given for others who wish to speak their minds - followed by best wishes to all would-be Champions; then let the festivities commence!
  • Tournament of Champions: An unranked, un-tiered 'Deathmatch' style competition involving teams of two competing against one another, with a set of rules unique to a rustic, knightly culture and prizes to be awarded to the best 'Paladin', 'Fighter', 'Wizard' and 'Ranger', true to the spirit of the previous Moor-centered adventures. A final prize will be awarded to the most chivalrous combatant - for which one does not necessarily need to win battles to achieve. (Details in post to follow).

[Image: Tournament_Field.jpg]
  • Ciara the Soothsayer: The gifted Leah will be providing actual, bona-fide tarot readings (or whatever else she chooses to use) for characters through her own Moors character, Ciara. She may or may not ask for murai in return - the price differs per person, or so I am told, depending on the nature of the question.
  • Drinking, Dancing and Feasting: Both the Lamb & Lion Tavern and the Festival Tree are situated south of the Tournament Grounds, and make excellent spots for getting piss-drunk, playing music or enjoying a bit of romantic dancing. The latter will be properly organized following the tournament's conclusion.

# HIRING NOTICE: Please contact me at Jupiter Storm#4324 if you have a Maid, Bartender, Chef or Bard character that you would be willing to hire out for this event in exchange for Asagorians. (Be sure you're prepared for (and enthusiastic about) multiple-player interaction - If I get too many offers I'll have to choose!)
  • Trader's Market: Courtesy of Stella Trading, several stalls will be set up around the main 'village' area for the buying and selling (and enchantment) of rare items / mods / kits at discounted prices.
  • Explore the Moor: The entire event space (which constitutes several provinces of the Southern Moors) will be open for all to explore, and roleplay in (be sure to clean up afterwards). There will be various signs posted in certain areas to give a better description, or provide immersion - though for obvious reasons there will nothing 'spectacular' happening there during THIS event.

# FOLLOWING THIS EVENT - The Moors will be open 24 hours a day (except during construction periods) to be used as desired. An announcement will be made about this at the Festival too, but my own involvement with what comes after will include the hosting of 'Weekend Warrior' style adventure sessions, using a d20 system with character profiles. (Dev Approved)

# TOURNAMENT SIGN-UPS - Rules and Prizes will be posted later, but for now, you may enlist either ALONE (to be paired with another character randomly) or as a TEAM. Maximum number of competitors will be 16, additional sign-ups will be added to Reserves, able to fight depending on time constraints or if others are a no-show. Sign-ups will CLOSE on the 28th June.

# WHERE DO I GO? - Although this area is ICly within Kysei - I have a personal aversion to Chataran houses (due to their appearance and accessibility), so the actual building is in ALSTALSIA - the bottom-right Fort above the Asago Building. If lost, a dutiful Yeomanry Soldier will be present at the Mage Guild to provide guidance on the day.

[Image: Location.jpg]

[Image: House_Banner_PNG.png]

Rules in Effect: Bastonne Midsummer Solstice Tournament

Firstly, I apologise for the delay in posting these. While designing the prizes managed to unintentionally close my work on Pixlr while attempting to open a new tab - losing the whole template I was developing in order to actually mass-produce medallions of different types. Now that these are done, though, I'd like to note that I do have copies available for custom signatures or forum avatars (provided they are earned)... IF that is something that interests you!

# DISCLAIMER: The Code of Conduct for this Tournament - while designed with balance partially in mind - is intended FIRST and foremost, to promote immersion within a culture very different from those found elsewhere in Sigrogana Legend 2. Please try to have fun with them, it's more about the character, and less about the mechanical numbers.
  • Team 2v2 - Characters will be paired in teams of two. Those who enlist may request a team with another character, while those who enlist alone will be randomly paired with another. There is, however, incentive to support your team member during a fight - if your team member falls, they will be paired with someone else.
  • [font=Palatino Linotype][size=110]1-Minute Rounds - As this may suggest, all spars are to be set for 1-minute rounds as we have a lot to get through. Emotes are not necessary, but are best done outside of your turn. If a character should disconnect at any point, the battle will be halted until the end of the Disconnected Player's following turn, at which point if they do not reconnect by then, the fight will continue as normal.
  • [font=Palatino Linotype][size=110]Deathmatch Ranking - The competition is structured such that each character will fight three times, regardless of whether they win or lose in a bout. Points are awarded based on their success (or not) in each bout. Characters from the same category (explained later) with equal points will battle one another in a 1v1 spar to decide the champion.

3 Points are awarded for Surviving on a victorious Team.
    2 Points are awarded for Falling on a victorious Team.
    1 Point will be awarded for Losing a Bout.
  • [font=Palatino Linotype]Prize Categories - There is to be no singular winner of this competition, in order to promote a more casual, friendly environment where certain builds will not be the be-all-end-all. Instead, you will be lauded as the most successful champion of your particular 'style' - named in the spirit of the Moors' original system emphasising importance of roles, not individuals.

# The Ranger: Any Gun / Bow / Shuriken / Throwing Feather (etc) primary build, period.
    # The Wizard: Any Magical-primary build, whether that be summons, hexes, or spellcraft.
    # The Paladin: Any Melee-primary build focusing on Damage Reduction / Endurance.
    # The Fighter: Any Melee-primary build focusing on Damage Output / Mobility.

Each prize includes a Custom Medallion, in addition to a bounty of 500 Asagorians. There is a fifth and final prize, the Laurels of Chivalry, awarded to the combatant who is considered to fight most honourably, and conduct themselves in a manner befitting a true knight (this is not restricted to melee characters or winners) - worth 1000 Asagorians.
[Image: Prize_Frame.jpg]
  • [font=Palatino Linotype]Code of Valorous Conduct - The rules below thematically ensure that each battle follows as close to what may considered an 'honourable spar' in the eyes of true, knightly figures...

#1 - 'FOUL' BLOWS: Attacks from behind are unavoidable for some skills, and sometimes even necessary to bypass a strong frontal defence. Attacking a knocked down character, however, will result in a warning; and then disqualification.

#2 - HEALING: The ONLY types of healing allowed are those that cannot be helped; e.g. Passive Healing (Tenacity / Mayelia / Mercalan Mist / Glykin, etc.), or Offensive Heals (e.g. Needle / Vampiric UL%, etc.) For this purpose, Second Chance DOES count as a heal, so you can't use it.

Rebound is acceptable, as it exists to mitigate a Ghost's self-HP drain for a majority of their skills (and is not particularly strong, with a lengthy cooldown). Reihou is also acceptable, as it affects only Youkai, and cannot possibly target anyone else.

It should go without saying that Potions / Aid / First Aid / Meditate / Graft / Malmelo / Phoenix / Healing Discharge / Gentle Garden / Cherry Blossom detonations are off the table. (Though the latter can still be used for the buff). Unlawful healing will result in immediate disqualification from a fight with zero points awarded.

Leeching (Life Drain / Ingrain / Banquet) is not allowed, at all, for any reason. It's considered quite evil, locally (!!)

#3 - ITEM USE: Aside from HEALING POTIONS & SAL VOLATILE, all kinds of items (including Purgatives such as Cleanse Potion) are absolutely acceptable! Although, these are the tools of PEASANTS in the eyes of any knight... So don't expect to earn any honour for doing so. But maybe... You didn't come here for that, eh? In which case crack on, soldier!

#4 - FLEEING / STALLING: The Code of Chivalry prohibits deceitful conduct in a battle, as well as fleeing from an enemy yet left standing. But the Knights of the Moors also understand that some abilities and spells require lengthy preparation to set up. If THREE ROUNDS PASS without using an OFFENSIVE skill (Attacks, Summons, Invokes & Debuffs), you will be disqualified from the fight and earn zero points. Get stuck in there, ya' pansy!

#5 - SHOW MERCY: If one character offers mercy to another, they are not obligated to accept this! However, if they do, attacking that character once they have surrendered from the fight will be considered a VERY FOUL BLOW INDEED, SIR (!) and will get you thrown out of the tournament altogether.

#??? - END HIM RIGHTLY: Many chivalric fencing manuals point towards a common 'joke' among Knights whereby the pommel of a weapon is used to thump your opponent across the head. (Historically, this actually involves unscrewing the pommel and throwing it as a distraction, but that's not possible in SL2). INSTEAD! - If you defeat a character (i.e. reduce them to 0 HP) with a Kick landed within 1 square, FROM THE FRONT, you will earn a significant amount of honour and the right to gloat as you please without appearing a complete buffoon. (Applies equally to Rangers and Wizards).
[Image: Tournament_Attendees.jpg]

[font=Palatino Linotype]Sign-Ups close on the 28th June! Message Jupiter Storm#4324 - or approach the Yeomanry Marshal in-game to join the Tournament - either alone, or as a team!

Queries of Note - (Or Rules Clarifications)

Q - Can I sign up without a team member?

A - Absolutely, you will still receive a team member on the day - merely chosen at random. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that a team member you go with will remain by your side as the competition progresses.

Q - Do I have to fight like a Knight to compete?

A - Not at all. Knightly behaviour can still be observed through any style - even those using missile weapons.

Q - Can I use a nickname or alias, to conceal my identity?

A - There's nothing wrong with this. Bastonne isn't interested in exacting Imperial justice, merely promoting a fun and enjoyable atmosphere for all. Masks and helmets to cover your face are also perfectly fine.

Q - Will I only fight against others in my 'Style Category'?

A - No. All your Category determines is whom you will be ranked against when it comes to the prizes - for example, a Grand Summoner / Black Knight might absolutely dominate a tier-structured tournament, but here? They're just the best at being a 'Wizard' (or maybe a Paladin). You might instead be considered the 'best Fighter', or the 'best Ranger'.

Also - bear in mind that the greatest prize does not strictly require victory at all.

Q - What if my style is neither a Paladin, Wizard, Fighter or Ranger?

A - You're bound to fit in somewhere, whichever you're closest to! It's 'honourary' nomenclature, based on the old system rather than defining titles for what you are now.

Q - What if there are an odd number of combatants?

A - You'll be paired up with a volunteer who will fight for no points - unless a member of the audience agrees to join the Tourney at the last minute. If your companion is a volunteer, they will earn more honour for their selflessness.

Q - What actually constitutes 'Honourable Combat' in the Southern Moors?

A - Honour is very much a subjective thing, I'm sure - since everyone has their own opinion of what makes a good guy. I am going by what was considered 'noble' behaviour during the Middle Ages, defined by general opinion and the Code of Chivalry. In battle, this includes examples such as the following...

@ Allow no insult to a 'Lady' to go un-answered. (A lady who does not act 'Lady'-like is not a 'Lady', by the way).
@ Allow no insult to a KNIGHT to go un-answered. (A 'knight' who does not act KNIGHT-like is not a KNIGHT).
@ Offering one's opponent a fair chance to make a comeback, if the fight is not going in their favour.
@ Do not give up, even if the fight does NOT go in your favour.
@ Act with decorum & humility. Be gracious in victory and in defeat.
@ Follow the rules of the Tournament to the letter, and respect the decisions of a nobleman.
@ Make all your attacks clearly visible, giving your opponent a fair chance to defend themselves.
@ If your team-mate seems to be struggling, PROTECT them from harm.
@ Show Mercy to those who look like they aren't having a good time.
@ If your enemy extends the hand of friendship, accept it. Even if it may lead to your doom later.
@ Keep a favourable range, use your distance properly - by all means - but do NOT run away just to recover.
@ Getting annoyed with how a battle is going is called being a sore loser. RIGHTEOUS ANGER in response to an insult to your pride, your dignity or your team-mate is not only acceptable, but very knightly.
@ END THEM RIGHTLY.

Q - Am I really supposed to follow all of these???

... Firstly, that's up to your character, not you. Secondly - no. Consider it... A 'check' list which I will be working from.

Important Updates - Bastonne Midsummer Solstice Fesival [29/06/2019]

# RECRUITMENT REMINDER - Positions are still open for catering and waiting personnel for the event itself. As mentioned before, payment will be granted to those desiring it. ADDITIONALLY - Any seasoned warrior not participating in the Tournament who would like to act as one of the Judges would be most welcome indeed, as it will allow the Tourney to progress more swiftly, leaving ample time to explore other festivities for the combatants.

• #1 - Unknown Benefactor (!): An individual, wishing to remain anonymous, has donated a significant amount of coin to the Duke's coffers in order to support the festival. As a result, the Tournament Prizes have been doubled.
  • #2 - Sign-Ups Balanced: Thank you to all who have signed up so far. Though one place yet remains, as well as reserves in case of no-shows, there are enough competitors from each category for the prize rankings to proceed as normal.
  • #3 - Rules Amendment: In light of some interesting points raised regarding the difficulty of employing Invocations and the potential for people to 'cheese your character by running away before you can land an attack' after spending a considerable amount of time preparing such an invocation... The rules have been changed to better reflect their 'intention'.

As a general guideline, however - the rules exist to promote what knights would consider to be an honourable battle. Ultimately, even if you find it hard to keep up with them - the Judges (Yeomanry Marshal and Bombastic Borgeois) have the final say. If it's obvious that you are making every attempt you can to assault your enemy - even if their strategy prohibits you from attacking them effectively - you WILL NOT be penalized.

Event Summary - The Prizes

It should be noted that the vast majority of those who attended this event absolutely deserved rewards as well, purely for the way they conducted themselves and for the enthusiasm that was shown in implementing a very unique, bizarre and presently unrefined system.

I completely understand that there were a lot of questionable decisions made - some of them in part to the game's faulty mechanics at the time which was something I only had incomplete information on at the time. Others, due to oversight on my part but more on that later.

A huge thank you to everyone, for coming and bearing witness to & putting up with my madness. The turnout was far more than I had ever hoped for and given a certain game update that was released at the same time, I'm deeply flattered.

• The Paladin: Awarded to Michael, the Shaitan Ghost / Black Knight... Standing strong with 7 points at the end of the tournament (with 2 deducted for 2 accidental abuses of cinders before a warning could be properly given) and 3 wins out of 3 battles fought. This final score was tied between Alceste, Velvet and Michael - but with 3/3 wins the result was beyond dispute.
  • The Fighter: Awarded to Genos Clover, the R-Type Mechanation Demon Hunter / Black Knight... Exceptional combatant in every way, gave all his fights maximum effort despite the voiced doubts of many prior to the tournament. 7 points total, 2 / 3 wins.
  • The Wizard: Awarded to Cerin Rachal, the Reaper Boxer / Hexer... With 7 points and 2 wins out of 3 battles, he was leagues ahead from the others of his category - with a relatively unique and interesting build combination coupled with the obvious results of hard practice and personal development, truly deserved!
  • The Ranger: Awarded to Arrow, the Alstalsian Human Ghost / Ranger... A very powerful ranged combatant, he deserved more points than he actually got (which was 5), due to 2 wins out of 3 battles, although obviously with the damage and mobility he was capable of, Arrow was a very popular target! I imagine if it weren't for my ruleset, he'd have been able to kite his opponents quite handily.
  • The Laurels of Chivalry: The largest over-arching prize was extremely difficult to award to any one person, as almost everybody present made a concerted effort to fight honourably and abide by my silly and strange set of rules. In the end, the judges found it hard to choose between four particular individuals: Genos Clover, Alceste Hirosaki, Tayanita de Romita, and Sinclaire Blanctorche. The result of this decision was a final round of combat to decide which pair would jointly receive the prize.

After what was honestly one of the most entertaining and explosive, seat-of-your-pants battles ever seen, Genos Clover and Alceste Hirosaki narrowly came out on top, although I cannot state enough that all four characters completely deserved the award. These two were named Honourary Knights of the Moors in title, and I want to issue personal thanks to all four people for making the final battle what it truly should have been.

+ + + + + + + +
  • Special Mentions:
    - Tayanita de Romita - Personal favourite of the Marquis Francis Horatio Montgomery for refusing to surrender in any given conflict, toughing out every fight even when the odds were stacked against her, and refusing to fall even when on the verge of unconsciousness.

- Hanzo the Kind - Personal favourite of the Lady Elaine Haddock for wonderful writing skills and commitment to honourable and knightly behaviour in spite of his employ as an assassin. Also held true to the Onigan tradition of SEMI-SEPPOKU, knocking himself unconscious with a magical spell rather than admitting defeat. While not a Knightly practice, he held true to his own cultural customs of honour.

- White Phantom - Personal favourite of the Marshal Ser Robert Argent for being what I personally thought to be the most interesting and well-played character present, with the most unique build and concept - a concept which was done so well it appeared to fit in seamlessly with the setting without becoming a meme. 11/10 character would love to interact with them more often.

+ + + + + + + +

Event Summary - Acknowledgements

First and foremost, I really need to thank all of my helpers for that event for the efforts they put in to make it what it was - although they didn't see as much in the way of 'action' as they would have liked, something that I feel remorse for - it really could not have happened if I didn't have the amount of help that I did.

Adam the Show-Bartender - Karidan
Amelia the Priestly Maid - Sarah
Dominic the Hog-Roaster - Genix
Elaine the Washboard - Moira
Faye the (Horny) Barmaid - Kyro
Francis the Fat Nobleman - Meep
Masaru the Bard - Ignatius (AKA Iggy)
Serenity the Best Meido - Fuepepe

Secondly, regarding the Tourney:
I need to acknowledge before everybody that I had not intended for the Tournament to go on for as long as it did, we had a very solid plan initially which would ensure it'd last only 3 hours maximum - 45 minutes to get through each section of fights, 15 minute breaks for the judges to reshuffle the teams. I know a lot of people got tired by the end, we really don't know what happened. We also didn't have a complex enough system for ensuring that characters were not matched against the same people they'd fought before - so all in all I'm really sorry about that.

Finally, regarding Variety: My final apology to make is as to the 'range of things to do' for the event. I will say that the organization of this was fraught with numerous issues from the very beginning, including the Shadowbringers early access date, the apparent 'loss' and then rediscovery of Stella Trading's shop bots, and the loss of a key event character with a rather central role.

Ultimately I'd intended to provide the non-combatants with a lot more to do, but it seems that despite my best intentions, the Tourney became the focus of the event, and while I hope everybody had fun with it, next time, we intend to try something different - possibly for Oktoberfest. Learning from mistakes is the name of the game, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.