Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Korvara Playerbase Division Concern
(02-04-2022, 08:01 PM)WaifuApple Wrote: Sniiiip
Honestly I agree with most of this. There a few things that annoy me about the idea of Kovara, which is mostly a me thing.

For Example, I am one of the people that generally sticks to a very small roster, most of the time even just one Character.
SL2 has this very Limited growth system, that can be maxed out in like...2 days if you are quick, 4-5 days if you take your time but know what you are doing.

So I am always frustrated with "being done" with my character in the "Game part" of the game. (RP is on another page, and would possibly be adressed in Kovara)

If its the same experience then it will be interesting for a bit, since its all new, but if the core remains the same it will eventually become dull again, is what I am concerned about.

Another thing that is MOST certainly a me thing is...Well, I am basically soft banned from SL2 public RP with my character, and I am not really into making a new one.
Well not banned, but you know? If you need to walk on glass shards that even sneezing at someone could get you ICly executed, its kinda not worth risking and the rest of the world is just not populated.

I have absolutely no qualms with starting from zero, because atleast for a short while I would feel the path of progression again, but I do certainly find it disapointing that I can't, since I can't be in Sigrogana, go to Kovara with the character instead (Starting from Zero of course)
Again, certainly a me problem but it adds up to my limited expectations to the thing as much as I love the idea and want to be positive about it. 

That doesn't mean I won't give it a try, I just temper my expectations. Less disapointment in the end.

@Autumn
Genuine Question, because I simply haven't played a second since the latest revision.

Is it still basically (in short, I know its a tiny bit more complex)
Always Either absolutely overtuned or undertuned with no inbetween whenever no Autohits are invovled but Tanks being universally always the better Option either way?
I think such things can dampen the experience a lot for Kovara as it heavily limits "Valid" choices of character playstyles in the game aspect.

I remember how insanely hard dungeons were with these changes if you weren't a tank, at the higher levels. This isn't just a PvP concern.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • HaTeD
(02-06-2022, 12:04 AM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: My only thoughts on the combat angle that I'll be dropping here is-  Yeah.  I agree that combat is a mess right now.  And that's going to affect Korvara's system negatively.  For grinding, I don't imagine it'll take long for players to get up to level 60 if there's no level caps, and if scaling Black Doors or Static Dungeons exist.  Those area already ifs though, which is why it's hard to speculate too much.

Yep, that. And more personally speaking, I just wish and hope the opportunity of a SL2.5 is not wasted on making the game exact the same as mainland. If the aspects are less than 50% different than what we already get from Sigrogana then it's probably not going to sell me that much. I'm speaking many community-driven things that made SL2 a little more different than what it is, such as one many will probably at least have heard about.

The "Hardcore Challenge" version 1 and 2, where you intentionally locked yourself to base classes until you found an IC teacher to help you step it up, and all the gear you got would be only from dungeon loot only, no trading items, no buying from shops, if you die in combat, your char is done for, dead, no 'funny retreating before we die'. Even if the game didn't fundamentally change, the imposed limitations did the trick just fine, to the point it was a breath of fresh air onto SL2's 'ol usual'.

IDK why many people hate when I pitch in "Hey, since they have no God influence nor mainland influence, why not make them more limited mechanically? Like making Korvara's main gimmick be 'Destiny-only' or 'Only Base Classes allowed'." Hell, even have heard someone go "Why not bring back Growths, since that was the bane of minmaxers?"

Hence why my snarky comment about the '75%'. I'm not saying it's hopeless, I'm saying that there are many things that can slowly chip down that 75% to a balanced 50%, or even lower than that if we get creative and innovative. As is, the "25% success chance" is simply from what was announced in the drawing board, so by promptu I'm not really being pessimistic, just being silly (and perhaps right?) about the >>current<< probability.

Godspeed to you all helping on its development, and I hope Dev catches some ideas too.

Or alternatively, take a month to fix the game's uneven balance and broken mechanics before launching Korvara. Unfortunately, I'm petty enough to accept the irredeemable trade of "new and innovative things" for "fixing what is currently broken".

Like Protect. :pensive:
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(02-06-2022, 12:34 PM)Shujin Wrote: Another thing that is MOST certainly a me thing is...Well, I am basically soft banned from SL2 public RP with my character, and I am not really into making a new one.
Well not banned, but you know? If you need to walk on glass shards that even sneezing at someone could get you ICly executed, its kinda not worth risking and the rest of the world is just not populated.

I have absolutely no qualms with starting from zero, because atleast for a short while I would feel the path of progression again, but I do certainly find it disapointing that I can't, since I can't be in Sigrogana, go to Kovara with the character instead (Starting from Zero of course)
Again, certainly a me problem but it adds up to my limited expectations to the thing as much as I love the idea and want to be positive about it. 

Now heres something I share in feelings and sentiment. In your case Shujin and in many others I need not mention by name? Bridges have been burned that have less a chance to be restored than the emperor making a statement to the public ic. Now You say, or at least from my interpretation that you won't be able to move a character over to Korvara. However, I heard differently, if not just some specific requirements before such a thing can happen. I personally don't believe there should ever be a defined line to split the playerbase, at least not permanently. So to share what I've heard is this; There will be a long grace period for Korvara before any attempt to be moved over there on existing characters can happen. In addition, some races would be restricted in existing there, and perhaps from even traveling there. Dev has not shared specifics in this particular claim, but had made mention on it so I believe with time given they will surely flesh it out with more detail. Lastly an application would be needed, from what was read in such discussion in our Sl2 discussions channel, pertaining to having good reasoning and desire to make an attempt to travel out to what would be in our perspective an unknown.

I feel the same way as you do. I can't seem to find motivation to just make another character, especially if I feel there is hope for a fresh start. Given the amount of bridges burned, I would much enjoy more a more player driven environment for this specific character as I would assume you might as well. If there is anything that anyone would like to add, like concurring in the same wish here to open the border eventually or sharing expectations I'd personally like to hear more like this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HaTeD's post:
  • Shujin
I personally wish the border would never open at all, the place will have it's own economy, its own leveling process and so on. The moment the border opens millions of Murai will be transfered over, characters with LE's will show up while people in Korvara have no LE's at all, tons of equipment will flood the market and make almost everything complete trivial and, Korvara-made characters at a severe disadvantage due to the LE's.

I'm on the side of the fence of keeping it complete separate, or else it will just become another map and the allure and charm of it will completely vanish. The place was meant to be a new experience, just having a existing character go there and be part of it kills the setting its going for.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mewni's post:
  • K Peculier, Miller, Sawrock, Shadbase, Trexmaster
An app process for characters to undergo a one way trip early off that involves a character inventory and level wipe would be pretty poggers, but it really does depend on how the lore goes. I can definitely see why Shujin's character would want to bug out as far and wide as possible in search of new opportunities, and some inkling of a world beyond their shores might not be a huge problem for the new Korvarans. As long as there's some impetus for those transplanted characters to not just go writing newspapers or implanting too much lore from the old world into the new, it could potentially not be wholly disruptive to any of the new environment.

As for mechanical progression and balance... That's a mixed thing. New players take much longer. I remember my first character took a couple weeks before I got to sixty because I was experimenting and trying to figure out how this game goes. The problem with this game is also one of its biggest strengths; It rewards knowledge and mastery a bit too much. Knowing how to level, what items to get, and where to get those items can cut down leveling from a weeklong chore into 'get red letter offhand, meme fire dungeons with AoE build' or any of the other number of quick 1-60 grindsets we know and love. It's hard to create something as diverse in options as this game without giving ample opportunities to find some niche to carve. I figure Korvara will probably have that same problem, but it won't be until week 2 or 3 that people realize where they need to capitalize on to get the most out of their time. I'd honestly rather there was less information about Korvara's particular additions and more information about how they're going to handle conflict resolution in a storytelling sense (since it's been hinted that PVP isn't the solution, I'm unsure if something's already in the works or they want suggestions. If it's the latter, I'd rather we got a discussion that before anything else.

TL;DR: Character transfers are yes, but only characters. Not their banks and items, etc, and with some stipulations similar to elves with Mersala that they shouldn't go blabbing about the Great Six.

TL;DR2: Want less talk about balance and PVP and more talk about how the new RP systems and expectations will work. If they're still in the works, we should open a thread about that.
[-] The following 7 users Like FaeLenx's post:
  • FaeLenx, HaTeD, Mewni, Miller, Shadbase, Shujin, Trexmaster
Unless Dev stops people from getting asagos/patreons and using the gold bank, money will flood Korvara second one regardless. That's a non-issue, at the very least. Money's only good for very little, and you get basically infinite the second you get 20 iron ore and a handful of wood.

With equipment and levels and such, we can't really say; People showing up with LEs isn't a problem if it keeps being relatively equal to levelling on the mainland, because someone could get a maxed book in two days of the thing coming out. Dev's adding a bunch of new mechanics and stuff anyway for it, so it's impossible to really talk about with current information.

Ultimately, if I'm still playing by the time Korvara comes out, I'm definitely making a character for it and already part of a group. I also do think Korvara should stay locked off for a long time. Like, six months, minimum. Even if I'm worried about potential hits to the playerbase, I genuinely really like the idea.
[-] The following 4 users Like Tana's post:
  • HaTeD, Maksimum_Fire, Sawrock, Shujin
(02-06-2022, 07:00 PM)Tana Wrote: Ultimately, if I'm still playing by the time Korvara comes out, I'm definitely making a character for it and already part of a group. I also do think Korvara should stay locked off for a long time. Like, six months, minimum. Even if I'm worried about potential hits to the playerbase, I genuinely really like the idea.

The only issue I'd see here is actually the length of time. Six months is a stretch, and standing in other people's shoes like Shujin's? Thats just saying to them; 'You must wait this long to experience your character's fresh start' Not really fair for them or anyone. Rather it comes down to circumstance. Like say, how long it actually takes for Korvara to establish it's inner working with every faction and beyond that, understanding of respectful systems put in place. By all means, I still think mechanical power by terms of player level, Legend extensions and equipment is meaningless to a degree. However, I also still believe some restriction is needed to be put in place for what can be carried over if anything. (Equipment, consumables, craft materials.) Korvara being a fresh start, should also be a fresh start to some degree for existing characters should they commit to the decision of traveling over with of course being the exception of their IC. 

What does come over is the characters lore, and of course they bring with them the knowledge of the Six. It's more interesting than lets say a Korvara character coming over to the Great Six, but it holds the same meaning. Either way, that's something that should be dealt with in game with rp. Some might call this person crazy for sharing knowledge of an outside world etc. We can keep it kosher if handled in that perspective.

TDLR; I believe six months is too long a wait, but believe a minimum of two is required.
I feel like in the grand scheme of things two months is way too little before opening borders to Sigrogana and therefore "ruining" the korvara experience. It's going to take people awhile to get settled into how things work and how new leaders will be picked, and by the time everything's finally settled and nice here come the sigroganans with their millions of murai, unlimited 10*s and other rare items to ruin everything.

I think we should play it by ear though, rather than trying to set a timeline IE "Korvara should open up in 2/4/6 months".

Also, while yes, people from sigrogana coming to Korvara would be more interesting than people from Korvara coming to sigrogana (because people already do the whole "what's the world" RP concept with shaitans and the like), I don't think that's a valid reason for wanting Korvara opened up ASAP. If ONE person from sigrogana comes over to Korvara, that's a fresh start, but if the floodgates are opened and EVERYONE from sigrogana comes and essentially pushes everyone in Korvara out, that's not a fresh start at all, but merely a change in locale.
[-] The following 3 users Like RedtailPinny's post:
  • Mewni, Shadbase, Shujin
Allowing Sigrogana PCs to enter Korvara any sooner than six months, or what I'd prefer to be something like eight months, would be kicking sand in the face of what Dev seems to want for Korvara and I share the same sentiment with him that I'd rather no Sigro characters appearing to ruin what Korvara could have.

HOWEVER, in the case of playerbase division, we do have what tends to feel like a relatively limited number of people playing at times. Though we do hit the 80s in count at times so I'm not TOO worried about that kind of thing in the first place. I have hopes people will still hang out in Sigrogana anyway because there's plenty of event lines to keep interest over there. I guess it just depends on how much work is put into KEEPING interest in both sides since nothing stops us from altism.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frozen's post:
  • Shadbase
I'm hoping that Korvara itself having very little to none in the way of player houses (at current) and it all being a bunch of interconnected maps will help alleviate the feeling of there being 80 people online but nobody to RP with.
[-] The following 2 users Like RedtailPinny's post:
  • Akame, Shujin