Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That which binds us
Applicable BYOND Key - Bergertime.slot1
Character Name - Mister Cotton Candy Himself (Kiryn)
Request Type - Alteration of the Divine Eyes / Sixth Sense
Request Details -  During a recent event, a large swathe of Meiaquar flooded due to the Watcher's involvement. During said event, this area was also subjected to passing over into the Veil. Kiryn was one of the victims of such, and nearly ended up dying. His Divine Eyes awoke as a trauma response, and while it is similar enough to normal Divine Eyes, they are different in unique enough ways due to having awoken in a different realm of reality where Emotions and Memories reign supreme.

Specific Request -

1. Empathy (Bonds of Fate) - The user is able to supernaturally get a low-grade feel for (consenting) player's feelings. The closer they are to the target, and closer they are (think social link style) with the target, the easier it is for Kiryn to get an idea of their emotions. On targets that aren't close to Kiryn, it's mostly only able to be detecting immediate hostile feelings (Sixth Sense trait).

2. Memory Reading (Count the Threads) - This one is going to turn some heads immediately, and I completely understand why. To put it bluntly, this ability requires A ) IC consent of the character. B ) OOC consent. Kiryn is capable of, with intense focus, viewing a memory that the target is thinking about. Kiryn does not perceive 'the truth' of the scenario, but rather how the target remembers it. This ability won't work on everyone, and a character's IC consent is more a matter of them 'opening up their soul' for reading. Not everyone is capable of doing this, and a FAILED attempt to read a person will show the exact same as if the person can't open up-- so it cannot be used for a "Tell me the truth." "OK." "He won't let me in to see his memories." This is a narrative tool, and I will assure you that it will have gigantic "WILL NOT COME UP OFTEN" connotations on it.

2a. Memory Expunge (Hide the Threads) - This ability will have exactly the same limitations as 2, but will be the ability to carve out bad memories. Forgetting that which hurts the character mentally, excising and removing it so that they can live a normal life. I am completely OK with this ability not being approved. These memories (should the target wish to regain them), will be something that they can do themselves. Larger gaps of memory will be more-or-less static, that can be recovered over time if the target wants to learn. Think of it somewhat like willful Amnesia.

2b. Object Reading (Review the Weave) - This is very much in a similar vein to the "Read Object" spell from DND 5th Edition. Kiryn's not a master of the abilities of his eyes, and likely will never be. The limitations of this power are based upon a few things, but mostly upon the owner of said item (and what they wish to reveal on an OOC level), as well as if there is an Eventmin wishing to give more details. Using this on a murder weapon, for instance, may show the exact emotions felt in the moment by either the victim, or the killer. And thus could cause trauma to Kiryn in and of itself, mentally.

Examples:
The item’s name, if it has one
A visual image of the last creature to handle the item
An impression of the emotional state of the creature that last used the item
If the item is a weapon, or has been used as a weapon, an image of the last creature injured or killed by it
A visual image of the item’s owner or crafter
Information regarding the item’s historical significance, if any

3. Divine Eyes (Fray The Bonds) - This will probably be unchanged from how it currently works with Divine Eyes, but I am open for changes to it in an RP way so that it can better fit the power level that the other abilities herein provide.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - It's an interesting avenue of RP that I would very much enjoy delving into. I've enjoyed the Watcher saga, and that realm of reality a ton. And making a character that is, inherently, affected by it on such a fundamental level sounds great.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - Divine Eyes aren't just a stagnant disease, and I imagine that it is ever-evolving. With different variants/strains that come about based upon the trauma to the individual. Not everyone who gets it, for instance, will go to an extreme level, or get anything past Strange Sight.