Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Curate/Priest Dodge Buffs
Why?
Dodge as it stands is currently not supported by a lot of different classes. This is being proposed to open up dodge to more classes. In this case, Curate. Or Priest. Either or.

The implication with these is just that Dev has asked to propose something interesting, so I intend to do that. It also creates a situation where if something is too strong that there are other ideas here to snatch from.

I don't expect more than one buff, and I don't think every class needs 3+ dodge buffs, but just something to help them.
I've also made every single option here simply 3m and 3 ranks because Curate and Priest both are hungry classes for SP.

I will be using 60 faith and 54 faith as a breakpoint for this, because 60 faith is pretty much the upper limit someone can attain 'sanely' (even Phenex and Glykin require 75 points to hit 61), and 54 faith is an upper limit for a lot of races pretty sanely (0 Faith races can hit this with 60 total)

• Refraction

3m, Single in 5 range, Mercalan. 30 FP.
A spell that wraps the target in light, making it harder to hit them. The target gains evade equal to X (based on Rank) + 50% the caster's scaled FAI. Lasts for 5 rounds. If used on a target that already has the effect, the effect will end, but all enemies within 4 range will take Light Magic damage equal to Light Attack x3 the Evade bonus and be blinded.
Rank 1: Evade Bonus +5
Rank 2: Evade Bonus +10
Rank 3: Evade Bonus +15

As you can tell, this is just fortune wind with some minor differences. Honestly, even the part about the light damage or re-applying doesn't need to be added. Even without, it's just a good and strong evade buff.
Since curates and priests tend to have much higher FP pools, I structured it more around the cost of distortion (30, 28, 26) instead of that of Fortune Wind. (16, 15, 14)
This is still a pretty strong buff, but it does add another potential evade tool and supporting tool for evades.

Would not apply to Mass for obvious reasons.

50 with 60 faith and a spirit
45 with 60 faith and no spirit
47 with 54 faith and a spirit
42 with 54 faith and no spirit

• Refraction
3m, Single in 5 range, Mercalan. 30 FP.
A spell that wraps the target in light, making it harder to hit them. The target gains evade equal to X (based on Rank) based on the caster's scaled FAI. Lasts for 5 rounds. 
Rank 1: 30% of Caster's scaled FAI
Rank 2: 40% of Caster's scaled FAI
Rank 3: 50% of Caster's scaled FAI.

This is obviously a nerfed version of the above, but more or less the same. This is still a reasonably strong evade buff, just significantly less and still requires a lot of faith to function. 

Still would not apply to Mass for obvious reasons.

36 with 60 scaled faith and a spirit
30 with 60 faith and no spirit
32 with 54 faith and a spirit,
27 with 54 faith and a spirit
  • Radiant Baptism
3m, Single, Mercalan. 30 FP.
A Priest is one who walks in the light. A singular light tile that the user is standing on is consumed, wrapping around them and granting an evade bonus for seven rounds equal to the level of the light tile plus a bonus based on rank.
Rank 1: Evade Bonus +5
Rank 2: Evade Bonus +10
Rank 3: Evade Bonus +15

This is actually a pretty strong skill that can easily get you 45 or 50 evade, with the expense of it actually being secretly more than 3m.

Brighten will not drop a tile on you, so this is secretly a 7-9m evade buff, that requires a bit of setup to execute. It requires movement, away from your cozy spot, prevents you from dropping a sanctuary until this is executed, and consumes a light tile.
This also acts as a bit of counterplay for existing light tiles if someone drops one on your face, turning their weapon against them.

Also, to hit 50 evade a spirit is mandatory somewhere, even on the highest ranked options.
  • Atonement
3m, Single, Mercalan, single in 6 range.
Absolving one of their sins can lighten the body and soul both of one who receives such a blessing, increasing their evade for 5 rounds (based on rank)
Rank 1: 30 FP, +10 evade
Rank 2: 28 FP, +15 evade
Rank 3: 26 FP, +20 evade

Light distortion. A simple enough effect. Again, not applicable to Mass just because I don't think it should become a bread and butter aoe buff. I'd rather have some sort of investment required, but a buff is a buff.
  • Providence

3m, Single, Can be Massed, Enchantment, Mercalan, single in 3 range.
Through the blessings of a curate, an ally is infused with divine power, increasing their evade (based on Rank) for the duration. Lasts 3 rounds.
Rank 1: 8 FP, +10 evade
Rank 2: 10 FP, +14 evade
Rank 3: 12 FP, +18 evade

A third complementary spell option, hits 22 with a spirit. This is like the worst option of what I mentioned above, but it's the only one that could be massed as an option for others.
[-] The following 6 users Like Caboozles's post:
  • caliaca, Latto, Maromar158, Miller, polly, Poruku
I like them all. Itd be cute to see evade priest exist given most classes can autohit, why not?
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
A thousand times yes. Now do this with every base class until anything can play evade
Its weird bc Priest and Curate both give CEL as mainclass stats, and healers are traditionally rather squishy. You'd expect them to be dodge oriented.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]
I see very little reason not to give evade buffs to classes that could very well use them, any class that wouldn't be defined as a tank or bruiser role should just have them by default, with the current spread of classes I think that defining these is a pretty key step to moving forwards with justifiably requesting these buffs. Though I think with few exceptions, evade buffs being balanced around being combined together with other classes to reach cap is a good idea, while giving a generous amount to standalone classes.

Verglas is a good example of this, no one would define it as a bad Evade-class but it can't reach cap on it's own, it needs that liiiitttle extra push to get there, in that sense, varying evade buffs is a good way to achieve this result.

To bring myself to the topic here, I support evade buffs for Curate in general, Priest and LB too, as I don't define any of the Curates except for *maybe* Aquamancer as a tank, they're DPS/Support mixes that could use the extra added layer of risky defense potential that evade adds, they're generally unarmored and have very little actual DR without any external classes adding in to the mix.