Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More rules about RP - Limitations, and more defined laws.
I'm sure a lot of you read the title and flipped out. But to explain, I'm not trying to encroach on your RP. There's just some people who take it way too far, and this thread is about reigning in some of the BS that stops people from taking RP seriously and treating it like a joke.

First Issue - Height Restrictions

I can't be the only one who cringes every time I see a character ranging 9-10 feet tall. Considering that the tallest *recorded* person (that has evidence to support it) to live in our world was 8'11'', while the tallest living (who had a hormonal defect and never stopped growing until his brain was operated on - and even then, is still growing slowly past the age of 30) is barely over 8 foot at all. As well, people over 8 feet tall are not only incredibly rare but often suffer many health issues and die fairly young. The excuse "Oh, I'm not human" doesn't fly, since the vast majority of the races used to be human and were just given different features and traits by the gods. Quite frankly, people want to be special snowflakes in the most noticeable way possible. This is quite honestly bonkers. This was a trend sometime last year that fortunately started to die out, but has been making a return recently with a few 9+ foot characters around.

Basically, Dev, if you could provide a hard "maximum height" for most races, that would be appreciated.

Second Issue - Age Restrictions

Someone got called out for having a 6 year old combattant the other day, and rightly so. They then, in a butthurt tantrum, changed their profile to say their age was 13, with the note "I guess I HAVE to be this age." How mature. *sarcasm detectors break from overloading* But this also goes in the opposite direction, with people using the excuse of being hundreds of years old for blatant godmodding and ICly being a master of every single craft and just trying to dominate every RP scenario that arises (including issues involving engineering, which is fairly new, by comparison.) I shouldn't have to explain why both are stupid. But, unfortunately, I actually do need to explain, because apparently people think this is acceptable! Although, I think I'll ry to let the above paragraph speak for itself, rather than waste my breath on people who won't even try to understand.

(While I'd personally set the age limit at 10 for combattants due to two important reasons. First off, many children begining training at a young age. Secondly, based on my experience as a tutor, babysitter, and counsellor, 10 is a good age to really start having confidence and starting to explore onesself and abilities. Less than that, and they're often too insecure in themselves to even apply what they learned in class that day to the night's homework without riddling you with questions they already know the answers to. And I'm basing this off of approximaely 13 years of experience with children, mostly aged 4-14.)

Point being, we should definitely make this far more clear, somewhere. Perhaps a part of the tutorial where you -have- to read/agree to the rules where this is listed, so prevent the GMs from needing to get involved at all.

Third Issue - Vagueness of Laws

This is something that really needs to be addressed. The general rule of "if it's illegal IRL, it's illegal in-game" is far too vague, especially considering how international many players are. This leads to things like America's "Castle Law" (In the simplest laymen's terms I can simplify it into, "Once an intruder is in your house, you have free reign to do whatever you need to do. This includes use of firearms.&quotWink being treated as "Vigilanteism" and many other issues. Personally, as a Canadian, one law here is that if you are annoying someone, and you do not stop when asked, you are harrassing them which is illegal, and this is broken by literally everyone, in-game. I even have screenshot evidence of one of the old guards insisting it's their perogative to "harrass" anyone they choose.

Could we please get a basic list of "core laws" relating to assault, harrassment, abuse, abduction and unlawful detention, and such so we have a unified system, just to get everyone on the same page? As it stands now, SL2's laws are way too vague and the only universal ones are theft and murder.
*loud burp*