Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New VA Skill
I had a thought about more application of void portals and the idea occurred to me to use a small void portal to redirect an in-coming attack or projectile to throw it at someone else near me. So a Ski or Cel % chance to redirect a weapon attack from you to a nearby foe within 1 range, or possible a little more. Perhaps it also would be able to redirect attacks from you to foes near void gates? Even the foe who attacked could be affected by this. It's not like turning things in extradimentional space to go completely back around is impossible or even difficult. Also, this should probably check hit.

'When you're surrounded severely outnumbered, some times the only way out is if the enemy just start killing each other. But why would they do that?'

I'm not sure how rank scaling would work here for the sake of balancing. It could have five ranks with with +X% change per rank. It could have three ranks and increase in redirection range by rank (up to 3 range incoming and outgoing). Or it could just be a one-pointer with flat 'Stat percent chance' in melee range'. Another idea I have is that it adds Evade based on rank and works only if you dodge the skill successfully. At that point, it could be a very high or 100% chance to redirect.

Would this be a defensive skill? Passive? Toggle passive?
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!
Edit: Heavily edited post, be sure to reread if you haven't already.

The way you put it, it feels like a Carbon Copy "Blade Barrier" and "Reflect Shots" except immensely better. The concept you have would need to be completely re-thought if you'd ever hope to have it green-lit (no, I'm not trying to be mean or "troll/flame/etc"- I'm just trying to be critical about it).

Interjecting. . . considering VA can be looked at as anti-mage (or anti-tank depending on your perspective of the class), why not make it mage bane? Something along the lines in concept to a magic mirror but with spells instead of munition sounds much more interesting, to me at least- a "Magic Richochet" that bounces back at the caster if you activate it for ___/full *insert name for VA energy* for a percentage of the spell (probably nothing over 50%).

Overall, a no-thank-you from me... Currently.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Short post and unrelated to it, but I think VA needs badly more Dagger autohits, or atleast efficient ones instead of Void related things. Detogate and Black Bolt are troll enough for me. Magic Mirror sounds good but might come out as cranky as spirit mirror and overcharged gunshots.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
If I seem a bit short, it's because I shouldn't need to say why this is such a bad idea. But apparently I do, because it's being presented as an idea that someone actually thinks should be in the game.

Short version: The idea is fundamentally flawed and grossly imbalanced. Even if we pretend it only works against range and not everything, VA already has an edge against ranged classes purely due to it's high evade vs a class with no/few (MG and Arb or Engi, respectively) autohits. While it's not impossible to hit a dedicated dodger, and I'd argue more people should pack blessed bows and guns instead of bemoaning accuracy vs dodgers, many dodgers will likely pack VA (or engineer, but is Engineer really common? Maybe since Destiny, I dunno, I actually haven't been spending much time around the arena lately because grinding) for Evasion due to the existence of autohits. And you want to make it so not only ranged, but all attacks go from "incredibly unreliable" down to "downright detrimental to any allies they may have?" I'm sorry, but no. Just no. Especially not when they can Crane hop into backstab position (because Monk or Verglas are amazing compliments to VA, with Cel-based attacks, +20 evade for being unarmored, +40 evade vs arrows, and the existance of a Dagger-Fist, because these classes were made for one another, and while not the most powerful weapon, this allows use of a shield when you know to expect autohits.)

Think of class balance like Rock/Paper/Scissors. VA is a dedicated anti-mage. You don't reverse the other half triangle to just make VA beat everything. Well, maybe individual people do, but for the sake of the overall game, it'd be the worst thing to do.
*loud burp*
If I we're going to be throwing magic back at people instead of using void magic like void magic, I'd be using pent up void energy to blast a target or even an AoE focused on myself. Though this looks a lot like Black Bolt, don't you think? Scaling on how much Void Energy consumed/available and blasting a target? Since it only really builds up from taking magic damage, you now have a skill to punch magic-damage users in face for daring to use said filthy magics. Call it 'Veil Burst' or something. Though the whole idea of this skill is to give more tree split. I'm sorry if I missed the bit, but the redirection skill in the OP was intended to require void gates to have a point in. Because that is what it uses. The concept was to slap out little void portals and throw attacks away from yourself. However I completely understand that this would be insane BS as a second layer of dodge, so wire it into dodging in the first place. Count it as an Evasion skill even.
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!