Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Skill: Gentle Embers
TLDR version: in light of Priest, Pacifist Boon, and Curate Destiny, the suggestion is for a skill that trades in offenses for enhanced support. If you are of the opinion that LB should not be supportive at all because it's the elemental branch of Curate, there's no need to keep reading, just jump straight to your post. I'd like to point out that Hexer is the support branch of mage and is plenty offensive on it's own merits, though.

So a recent discussion about LBs got me thinking.

No one really uses LB anymore. The Elemental Ressisance Stacking meta + advent of priest basically invalidate LB when you consider how much their spells cost for what they do, after their nerf. They have some neat tools, sure, but at times, their only tools are downright harmful to themselves even in PVE. As just one example, if fighting a Firesplitter. Activating Salamander for the Elemental Resistance before tanking the detonation instead of repeatedly blasting it with Kel to save FP. Heals nearby enemies and hurts your momentum. Oh, and if you're trying to play supportively, that kills your pacifist boon. And this is even before getting into Phoenix being a joke of a spell compared to Mass + Graft, even without God Rod.

So I thought I'd propose something to make them fit a more supportive niche in light of Curate Changes, especially since Destiny is now a thing.

New Passive Skill: Gentle Embers. When equipped, all Lantern Spells lose their offensive effects and extras (Salamander can't burn, Typhur can't knockback, Aterra can't blind, etc) in exchange for various bonuses. This allows them to keep Pacifist Boon going while changing their elements, allowing them to serve as a beacon of bonus stats and minor elemental resistance for the team.

Idea 1: 5 Ranks, 10% FP cost reduction per rank. (Example, changing elements costs ~10 instead of ~20 when the elemental is at R5)
Idea 2: +1 Eternal Flame Strength per level (So +10 Stats instead of +5)
Idea 3: Grants Elemental Augment of the corresponding Lantern Flame to allies in range? (Presently no light/dark augment so not likely)

Anyways, just a thought.
*loud burp*
I kinda like it.

Like, I'm not gonna lie, it's really nicely thought out.

However it needs more substance to it than just "oooh you get to not deal damage and.. uh.. give a few extra stats".

Like no, that's garbage.

Have it APPLY the extra effect a skill gives. If you typhur someone, they are gonna get blown back, just not take the wind damage. Priest gets a ton of bonuses for using pacifist stuff. That person you just made get up for awhile? Yeah, they're knockdown immune 5ever. Etc.

Have the stat bonuses be lingering on your allies, as well. For every turn they're not in your light, they'll 'glow' with the light that last touched them at a slowly decaying rate. (LEVEL = ROUND DURATION). So if you hit them with a salamander light, then walked away. They would keep the 'light' glowing inside of them for like 9-10 turns that would slowly decay over time?

I mean, it's not much, but it's something. Priest is still going to stomp the ever-loving piss out of LB for 'utility' for healing, that much ain't ever going to change (HELLOOOO ZACHARIA)
You're actually quite right. I didn't want this to be overbearing which is why it seems a bit weak, but when you compare it to priest, your ideas are also solid and not too much. My only real concern is the Burn on Salamander killing Pacifist Boon.

Thanks for your input, I think it's definitely worth considering and something I overlooked!
*loud burp*