Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Broken Guard
I don't see why a buff that affects damage scaling, and is removed if you use it to break through a Guarding player, means we have to shy away from this.

Lance de Lion is another Guard Break skill in this class promotion and comes with it's own downsides (mainly due to the high FP cost and you're unable to move in the turn you use it),

Light Tomahawk has poor scaling compared to other Guard Break Skills, doesn't proc -after- the Break like other Skills, is a percent chance unless max rank (which requires 5/5 SP and a Quick-Time Event to successfully trigger).

Reaper Scythe could possibly do with receiving a damage-applied-after-break (possibly like Light Tomahawk could as well, just slightly different reasoning) to make up for it using up your Claret Call (compared to the 500 damage possibility if you flank the enemy's back); seeing as applying Reaper Scythe and then attacking, spending the buff in the process, is still in a fairly worse spot than Lance de Lion.

As for Libergrande, I'm uncertain on how to talk about it as I've rarely (if ever) used it. . . but I believe it's a Summoner Class Sync-Mind Skill (or Install, I honestly can't remember) or some such? If you have some qualms with it please be more specific about the issue it'd cause.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Liberegrande is a line based ice spell that evokers have
I never said anything about shying away from anything. I was saying that the drawbacks to most Guard-Breaking methods (And I did forget about Libegrande and Lance de Lion, but that list presented also is missing the 10* item with it. Was it the Gigantys? I forget) further make Guard Break an iffy status that could use more going for it. I used the example of the relative accessibility of LT as an exception rather than the norm.

I'm IN FAVOR of this change. I was simply explaining my reasoning for BEING in favor, since Dev only listens to examples and reasoning rather than "yo we should really do this" and leaving it at that. Sorry for any confusion caused. Even if I don't personally see how my post could be interpreted any other way. I even said the change is "more than fair."
*loud burp*
I'm not exactly sure how I came to the conclusion you weren't for it; apparently my reading on forum posts seems to be off lately. . . :?

Apologies if you took any offense to it.

As for Libergrande, my initial thought on being told it was an Ice Spell made me think it wouldn't matter if it had any effect on Guard or Guard Break due to being Magical (but apparently Guard states it reduces all damage instances, as it doesn't list specifically Physical or Magical; I'm not sure what Guard Break does specifically in regards to Physical-Magical damage instances). Not sure how to feel about this but I don't feel like it would be ultimately game-breaking for Libergrande to cause Guard Break:

[Image: 846f9409185c4524af8e29d807a74536.png]
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
I didn't take any offense to it at all. I was just confused.

Glad we cleared that up, on both ends.
*loud burp*
Libegrande is an Evoker spell, by the way. Not a sync-mind youkai spell.
It would be nice if Guard Break reverted the values of a Guard, so like a 50% Guard would result in a 150% damage for 1 round aka your next move.

So it'd go like Guard Break skill -> Extra Damage for being exposed -> End turn.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
That kind of makes sense. They were relying on their Guard to protect their squishy vitals, and they didn't expect to have their shield/icepoint guard/naga scales/weapon in a hand with a ring of the knight on it/etc. to be knocked away, so they weren't ready for the attack to hurt so much.

The problem is that Guard Break skills already remove Guard before dealing their own damage. Perhaps we could have a difference between...

"Guard Break," which would be reduced by Guard but remove said Guard, and cause the very next attack the target is hit by before the Guard Breaker's turn is over to deal X% bonus damage, where X is the percentage of the Guard being Broken's reduction.

and...

"Guard Pierce," which would ignore Guard entirely, and neither be reduced by, nor remove the Guard status.
I think wasting all your momentum on a guard that gets broken is enough of a punishment.

Sounds like a discussion for another topic, either way.
"Soapy" Wrote:I think wasting all your momentum on a guard that gets broken is enough of a punishment.

Sounds like a discussion for another topic, either way.

I'm on the same thought as Soapy, that much of a damage multiplier gets crazy waaaaay too fast to be anything other than game-breaking.

Edit: I believe all that will be said on this thread has been already.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy