Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One-off characters
It happens more and more frequently as of late but it seems to always have been a thing, I am referring to of course the creation of characters that are villainous and only serve the purpose of being killed in some fashion in front of people and in front of the guard force, this has always been a bit of an issue but never one worth raising until now.

Last night, I think something got to me though, a situation occurred in the middle of Cellsvich, so called vampire hunters, a group that the guards have dealt with before, decided once again to attack Cellsvich, and once again each person in the group of vampire hunters was likely a re-purposed character for the sole purpose of providing a fight for players to interact in, this would normally be fine but it seems as if this group had no definitive leader, just a death wish, quite literally, they did this as a form of suicide.

I am not very impressed with wasting my time on this, to expect a conclusion worth a damn about the vampire hunters or a conclusion about anything really, I guess the only real reason I'm bringing this up is because this happens very frequently, where it seems like something important is happening only for it to have a really shitty conclusion with not much gain or mystery about it, investigations only going as far as "We only did this cause we wanted to kill ourselves."

I don't know why I made this thread, mostly I am angry over a lack of meaningful conclusion on any part, forgive me for what I'm about to say but who the fuck even cares about the death of a masked man who is just re-purposed from another character so easily, because they'll be repurposed back into the original character the next day like nothing even happened.

As an ending piece, this is mostly in reference to a sudden mass of characters who are repurposed from other characters created by other people (in a very obvious fashion, down to the very same build), in turn it starts to diminish the impact of actual villainous or nefarious organizations, cause there's one around the corner for everyone who decides they also want to attack Cellsvich this day.
It feels like this is mostly anger talking, but I understand your concerns and irritations. I'll explain more, if you don't mind. The entire thing wasn't just some suicidal rush in. It was planned for a good amount of time before it happened, if I do so recall. The entire thing was based around making a statement of sorts. Yeah, they would die in the process, but they, at the very least, wanted to make some sort of statement to the Empire. What that statement was? I'm unsure.

The leader treated themselves as an equal, actually. Besides that, I can think of another certain event that was similar. Them popping in, doing what they needed, then vanishing without a trace, yeah? It's happened several times, many people have done it, I see no reason why those that were playing those characters should get peoples' ire.

If you didn't want to waste your time, why did you log on? I understand this seems condescending, but listen, if you wanted to stay off the game, then do it. It's not like the game is an obligation. You're here to have fun.

That's what the event, OOCly, was about. Letting people have a final 'bang' before the Vampire Hunting events were put to rest. They wanted other people to have fun. If you didn't have fun? They failed in that aspect for you, but no one can please everyone, unfortunately. Some people had fun, some didn't. There's not much that can be done about that sort of thing.
Because I was lead to believe it was important, and I didn't figure out how much of a time waste it was until after everything was all done, but again I ask, what was the point? You can't just have a conclusion without any elements of the actual conclusion, real people don't go and throw themselves to die to the empire simply because they feel like it, but the thread is titled one-off characters for a reason, its not just about this event that happened last night but rather I used it as a prime example of the problem of one-off characters that are re-purposed temporarily so that they can die off and be fine the next day after they're just turned back.
We got so many 'professionals' here, right? Then why are only the apparent 'noobs who waste your time' behind most, if not all of those previous 'cheap and sucky' Anime Climax events that don't last longer than the day it's announced and in the other day it becomes the next morning's newspaper, at the dank meme page at the very end which everybody uses to wipe their butts with when the toilet paper is lacking?

Yep, that's it, cricket on the side of my room. Nobody can do anything better! Correct.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
There are so many ways to improve events and make the community a better place!

(I don't know any of the solutions and I refuse to apply said solutions though.)
[Image: tenor.gif]
We usually have a bunch of people saying that it's pretty bad how there's barely any events, then often times see that same group of people mentioning the events are horrible. To my understanding, a lot of people had fun with the event and only a few really didn't find much joy in it. But as it was mentioned previously - can't really please everyone, can they?

Repurposing is part of the small amount of tools players have to create any events themselves without relying on GMs that can easily have a busy agenda due to having lives, considering there's literally no event tools for players besides what we can already do. Dystopia, Sawrock and Chaos put as much effort as they can into the events they assist with or make themselves. We appreciate that (at least I do) but even though the majority of the stuff they come up with ends up being entertaining, nothing is perfect.

I also would like to point out that most of the very small amount of people that have complaints about repurposing characters used to do it themselves fairly often, so.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Jesus Christ, there's more salt being flung around more than a fucking salt factory. I was in the event so let me narrow shit down a bit for those who are ill-informed. This event was built up for a while now due to subsequent smaller events etc etc. now that we got that outta the way lets tackle the main salt in this.

I don't care if you feel offended by my words or not but for starters who the hell cares? Yeah what the hell did you fucking expect the guards who just normally stand there anyways did their damn jobs with a few casualties in mind barring the fact that they lost a guard in the end and a while slew of people got injured oh and the hospital got attacked along with their supplies being burnt down.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked events were made in order to be impactful, right? That being said the main impact is that the villains, who were killed due to their actions, made an impact icly whether you're not impressed with it or not seriously who gives a shit? Cell got damaged as much as my pride is when my friends finds a HotG and waves it in my face.

TL;DR you're salting over nothing even if they were characters made from the ground up it doesn't fucking matter, what matters is what happened ICLY and how the characters who were effected will act.
[Image: jBTJOXi.png]
Spoops. Honestly you're really one to talk about repurposing characters for events.

If players had initiative and made an event, let them. They wanted to do something to bring RP into the world. So what if it wasn't the MASTER LEET STORY TELLING SKILLZ OF THE ANCIENT DEV GOD AND CHAOS-CHAN. They're putting more of a concerted effort into playing the damn game and trying to invite other people to have fun than you are right now.

Right now you're just bitching on the forums because an event wasn't 3000% perfect from folks who have 0 event tools.
It's a shame some of you can't hold a conversation without lacing it with snark and passive-aggressive bullshit. Consider this shit show locked.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]