Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting
Have you ever idled in some god forsaken corner of the map where no one ever goes to RP somewhere new for a change?

Then had people bolt past you before you could even react, or even knew they were there because you were alt-tabbed waiting for hours for anything to happen?

Or even if you just have a character whose standing watch of an area, like say, an Onigan Guard standing patrol at the gates.

People have a tendency to run past everyone they see outside of 'normal' RP areas (Cellsvich, the Arena, Fort Arjav's Lobby, etc), so this kills a lot of opportunities to RP in other areas without having to organize it beforehand.

Obviously since people are allowed to go OOC at a whim and travel as they'd like, this suggestion wouldn't totally mirror Spires' similar mechanic. Instead it'd be nice to have something that pinged you when other players moved within a certain radius of your character, though this doesn't do much to help when players plan to yakety-sax their way across your screen in the time it takes for your brain to register the ping on SL2 and to actually tab into it.

Perhaps just a message to a player that caused a ping that X is watching them? Or something along those lines.
An actual ping option that tries to call the attention of someone?

I'm down for it. If anything comes up, just add together an option to 'ignore pings' in options. Quality of life ahoy.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Could you elaborate a bit? What exactly is this system supposed to be? How does it work in Spires?
Oh, yeah, whoops, my bad. I'll explain how the Spires version works to explain where I'm coming from.

In Spires, you can spend Energy (a resource everyone gets akin to SL2's Stamina) to be able to get a list of nearby people, then when a new person appears in their scouting range, they'll get the option to pursue the person and the person who triggered the alert will be told as such if the scouter chose to make good on that pursue. You'll slowly drain energy the longer you spend Scouting, so you can't just keep it up forever.

And since Spires has a pursue/flee system built into it, it uses that, and if the approacher fails to flee, they're locked in place so the scouter can reach them. Or well, they should be, but they're just told to wait. They'll usually get punted back by an admin if they ignore that.

How I'd imagine it'd work in SL2 is to just ping the scouter when new people enter their range, and maybe send a message to people who trigger it so they can choose to slow down if they're IC and feel like going with that.

It's meant to circumvent people bowling past you OOCly to avoid IC confrontation, since it only takes about 3-4 seconds to totally cross a person's screen and that person could be spending several hours in that one spot, odds are they don't have that much time to burn looking only at the SL2 window for all that time. But since SL2 doesn't have any sort of 'ur always IC' rule attached, it isn't as necessary a system, but it'd be helpful for situations where people will try to do this anyway, like a patrol at a gate or something. Or just ever noticing people finding your hiding spot/knowing when to tab back in.
Being able to publicly announce to players that a guard is watching the gate of a certain town (Like Oniga, I'm always on watch there) would be amazing at the very least, it'd make IC confrontation essential should we be searching for an individual.

Setting it up via a menu similar to the housing guest list would probably work very well imo.
I am all for such a system that sends a note towards the player passing by/pinging the scout.

Though, to what Spo said, sometimes those confrontations are still making no sense for example, when someone actually used other means to travel to Gold ICly, but obviously need to pass the gate OOCly. I know you are aware, just again pointing out the "Essential" part of this, not being so essential. Just to make sure people ain't getting barked at for that.

Still would be a great feature overall, helping with idlying around at a spot your character frequents in, that isnt Arena/square.