Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buff DMIs (Yet Another DMI Post)
Art is nice. Finding a lot of art for your character? REALLY nice. Then you go and make your DMI however you do it, you do you, no judging from me if you prefer to use MS Paint over Photoshop. And then you go and try and make it annnddd it's way too big for the game.

I feel like the 256kb file limit is very, extremely constraining for people who find a lot of good art and can't use it (like me, sometimes). The most I've ever gotten in a DMI was like... 80 something, and even then, most of the quality icons that I spent a while edited turned out to be way way WAY worse than the original, from either colors becoming grainy or overall quality loss from compression (and re-compression).

Can we at the very least double our arbitrary DMI file size? If at all it's possible? 512kb would be way more generous, and it's not even a full megabyte.
[Image: unknown.png]
I want to assume the reason why it's so low is because of how large save files will be if this happened. It could cause alotta trouble and increase the load time onto the game, or even worse. At the same time, I also would like the kb to increase we the compression won't be as harsh. I'd only want this if it doesn't cause any/too much trouble as a backlash.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
Big note to consider in these cases is the technical "roof" in this case. For every unique character slot is an added potential 0.25MB bloat. That said, if we're expecting even 10,000 unique characters, that's an allocated 2,500MB (2.5GB) of storage purely on icons alone. We can't exactly judge if that's too much, however (even if it seems small) so we do leave it up to Dev here.

A reality that does happen is unused characters that never get played banked on other keys that might not have even logged in. I do wonder how bloated savefiles are in total after all these years. We're talking about characters never ever played. That said, most concurrent games are prepared for the "ultimate maximum" which is the max characters per player across the maximum expected players. Sadly, with alting and roleplaying, this maximum not potentially finite compared to other games.

And dare I mention cleaning up old characters for this purpose...

AHEM!

On the personal note! I do agree that DMIs are relatively small for use. Without compression maneuvers and other kosher tactics, we can manage a bit less than 10 or 15 or so full-sized icons. The standard size of icons are relatively big for its use in my eyes as well, but the reasoning for facial detail can be justified here. (or not!) It really depends if 96x96 being the gold standard it is I see about is truly something we should hold on to or not.
Honestly, I don't see a reason in raising the cap aside from maybe a small bump to 256 to 300~340kb. The average player can fit over forty icons+ with 8-bit 256 colors without that much of a noticeable quality loss in general. I've been personally able to fit fifty icons on my average character; more if it happens to be easily compressible.
Miller post_id=39030 time=1581398248 user_id=49 Wrote:Honestly, I don't see a reason in raising the cap aside from maybe a small bump to 256 to 300~340kb. The average player can fit over forty icons+ with 8-bit 256 colors without that much of a noticeable quality loss in general. I've been personally able to fit fifty icons on my average character; more if it happens to be easily compressible.

Pretty much this. You have to be doing some extreme shit or just be bad at compressing or trying to fit in a lotta memes in order to not fit too much within the 256 KB limit. Now, when you get over that, by like 2-4 KB, I can feel that pain flowing through ya. So personally. Yeah. That's about it. Miller said my thoughts as best as they could.
Small bump for the file size limit cap sounds fine. Like 300kb. But otherwise, you can normally fit them in unless you're going the full nine yards and trying to do 300 faceicons.
[Image: Fern22.gif]