Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Skullcat's massive bias | Priest Thread
Tongue 
[Image: tUJnDh4.png]

Once again I am asking for priest reworks (two years after previous thread found here.)

For new readers, and people who have never felt the grace of God (Literally playing Priest). I'll basically list out every skills, their current issues, and the perspective of priests. If you're here to complain about heal-bloats, go kill Ray instead. 

Priest is a class that have no main-class advantage, and therefore easily allottable choice into subclass option with no real consequences. 
Half the skills that Priest have to offer are generally lackluster, and you may be surprised to have points left over.
And a firm reminder that Priest remains to be the most solid stat-stick class that exists.

So now that it's been two whole years. We'll discuss the changes that Priests have received during these time-period. They are:
Long-term cure have been fixed.
Treatment skills SP cost went from 5 to 3.
Divine Shower have been nerfed to have three round cooldown.
Divine Judgment is upgraded to make person vulnerable to Antithesis, Blessed, and Holy Enchants. Also loses Elemental ATK * LV.
Blackened Faith Passive.
Stave of Restrain Nerf.

As per-usual. This will list out all the current skills, their current flaws or so. Note that some of the skills have been upgraded to better condition compared to before.

GOOD
Priests' abilities that have been considered generally a must-have, or strongly considers.

[Image: NuQfWOF.png]
Staff Mastery
The Staff Mastery haven't been nerfed, buffed, or modified. It still grants you +10 effective stats increase if you have 5 staves equipped to your item belts. While you're sacrificing access to potions, bombs, gems, and so goes on. 10 more stats allow for more build flexibilities. It remains the best part of Priest no matter what.

[Image: pBicIFm.png]
Piety
Effectively a stat-increaser passive like most classes tend to have. Having more faith is always nice to have. Allowing you to spend less points into that stat specifically.

[Image: X74xvMd.png]
Detailed Care
Detailed Care have remained Priest's massive supporting potential. Often the constant whining, complaints and frustrations as it amplify the healer's healing potential when the party is within one tile radius of that healer. It have remained the crux of the core healing center for long as it had.

[Image: 0LVMUPg.png] 
Malmelo
This spell have never really deviated, or fell out of favor with Priest as a whole. It still uses Scaled FAI/2 up to rank cap*6 when healing HP%. More effective on high HP party-members, otherwise not so great when using it on dodgies. It's still good spell overall, and have not been modified since then. Still have 7 rounds cooldown.

DECENT
Priests skill that are very nice to have in practice, or useful to kit. But not sought after right away.

[Image: i9UiqLF.png]
Strong Legs
As previously stated in last thread. It's worth if you're first to go and you're within range to cure a companion's knockdown. This is more favorable now that it have received a SP squish. Allowing you an option to take it without agonizing too much. Combine this with Longterm Cure, and you can keep your companion from ever seeing knockdown ever again for seven years (turns).  The problem is, if you're not first, you're last. And this will never be helpful.

[Image: kRtGouI.png]
Divine Shower
Divine Shower is mapwide damage. No longer spammable as it used to, it had been placed off it's glorious throne. But it is still good skill to have in possession, and far better as an opener rather than something that you sit back, and spam to oppress the enemy constantly. Even with three round cooldown, it is still decent skill.

[Image: 9lYMpZS.png]
Judgement
In previous thread, this used to be kind of garbage. But with changes done to it. Holy, Exorcism, and Antithesis effectively being effective against Judged character. This skill have received a good quality of improvement. The downside is that people will still run away if they know you're going to judge them. So having Blink, or some movement skill that won't break your invocation to slap it on them is still required.

[Image: SGrJGFA.png]
Sanctuary
This spell haven't received any serious changes. And still remains a decent ability for Priests to utilize to deny AOEs, and so goes on. Though with implementation of Ruler who have Rookstar that can destroy their Sanctuary spell, it actually doesn't affect them much because Rulers don't play Sigrogana Legends 2.

Okay
Priest skills that aren't that very great, or impressive but you could take them either because there's no better alternative, they're niche, or not that bad.

[Image: S0YN5yA.png]
Holy Spark/Shine Ray/Needle
These three offensive skills have not been altered in any real way for Priests. They are still expensive to cast, hence why you need so much FP to play this class.

[Image: R8Qy3x0.png]
Purify Poison/Cool Burns
While they've received SP reductions, and with longterm cure fixed. They're not as bad as they used to be. The real answer is why would you actually take these. They have stave variants, and the major factor determining whether or not you want these is SP cost. But then taking staves would give you 4 stats. So why would you want these?

[Image: MyUsJdP.png]
Mercalan Mist
You'll earn hateful ire of that one guy who really, really hate mercalan mists for some reason. But Mercalan Mist haven't been modified since last thread, and after some consideration, truthfully serves it's purpose less. Most dodgies don't actually need the mist. The regenerations are not that impressive, and not many people play Lightning mage especially since Evoker got changed massively. 

Garbage
Skills that you shouldn't take, but someone out here will for some bizarre reasons or very specific build.

[Image: ppktkju.png]
God Rod
God Rod is mainly used just to allow you to spelledge Monk's Priest stave, and few rare un-spelledged staff sub-tag of spear weapons. But you'll almost never find yourself using these outside of Monk's Priest staff.

[Image: Omgy3Ws.png]
Gentle Torrent
This is debuff round reduction spell whenever it travels over an ally. Problem is, it stops when it hits an enemy. So this spell requires positional to line up your strike, and hope the Torrent will ride over your ally to reduce their debuff by one round. the SWA isn't that impressive. And it's three round cooldown. Just use Water Pillar for water damage.

[Image: YMvunF4.png]
Mercalan Tenets
Yeah. It's still the same. It's garbage. Why would you give up battle belt slots that gives you stats just so you gain some FPs giving someone healing consumable? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

[Image: f5eEZ7M.png]
Shine Knight
Oh it's better spirited. Oh it's absolutely worth it. Oh it's so good. Believe me bro. I'm totally not coping, chugging fourty pound of copiums. I swear on my mother! Okay but seriously, if Protect Skill get fixed in Solblader release. They might become okay. Just that they still sucks with that heavy momentum investment. But then we're treating them like weaker metalaegis at that point.

[Image: fVF0xYy.png]
Lmao no yeah no

[Image: oLEl6iy.png]

I didn't ask for this.
Goddamn 'Dark spells' sympathizers.
I will find you.
I will steal your chocolate milk.
And you will not stop me.

Some of the problems still remains. And while there are improvement. We still have circled back to same issue we've had before. The skills that are good to us, are still good and the skills that are bad slightly improved, but still remain unattractive due to other things. Mercalan Tenets gives you 15 FP per healing consumable used, which beggars the question why the hell would you not just chug blue potion which gives you 45 FP each and you can spam that far more than just expending one SP. You also don't wanna give up your skill-points to grab treatment skills because there are stave alternatives, and they can do job just fine, barring the fact that they won't have immunities but it's not really an issue or it doesn't really matter.

Gentle Torrent still remains garbage at best.

Shine Knight still remains a player-bait skill, and while Protect changes may see prospect of their viability,  I still don't have high hope for them.

Devocation still exists in this iteration somehow.

God Rod does not make me cast with Shinesword still. Sad

And Elves remain an objective reality that isn't wiped out by the superior theno masterrace.

Obligatory Priest thread post. None of you will read this.
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
fuck you
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
[-] The following 11 users Like Ray2064's post:
  • Autumn, Balor, Caboozles, caliaca, Collector, FatherCrixius, Miller, Skimmy2, Snarky Soujo, Trexmaster, WaifuApple
I read it, and now I wonder... What can we do to make priest better? Shine Knights have to be the way they are for balance.. Priest being support needs its spells to have lower damage too... and yet holy spark is still a more useful button than basic attacking if you arent running 140 crit. Aint that fun?
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
How are you putting needle on the same tier as purify poison/cool burns? Needle is amazing, but every cure skill is meh.

The only issue with priest is that the cure skills are kinda useless due to costing too much sp and being mediocre in actual utility. Just run antidote and cooling staves instead. Strong legs is super niche.

Just buff gentle torrent and rework the treatment skills.

And if you think shine knights is garbage you haven't faced a true shine knights build. A weaker metalaegis? You're outta your mind. Those guys have strong basic attacks and are hard to kill, plus you can heal them cause you're priest. They're amazing summons, as long as you can get them out. And some builds can do it reliably. If they were buffed, they would be too strong. I like them as a niche and rare build.

But in the end, priest is one of the most solid classes in the game. It's just a shame that some of its kit is terrible. But that could be said of many classes. Ghost has the same issue. Amazing class, but some skills are trash. So yeah it would be nice to get those bad skills up to par, but I'm not holding my breath.
[-] The following 2 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Balor, Miller
As a man who invests 0 Talent Points in the Invocation Tree, I will not stand for this slander to Devocation! sits down.

Also I find it really odd that you don't rank Needle as the greatest thing ever, it is an amazing spell in everyone's toolkit to both heal and do damage, something needed to rotate your Heal CDs each turn.
You made me just realize that Gentle Torrent has a 3 round CD so I agree that it is pure garbo, we must stop allowing huggysofa to get his grubby dark paws over all of our curate classes as I blame him for everything wrong with the class for Mercala is perfect and would never allow these things to happen.
Munch
(06-14-2024, 05:33 AM)Poruku Wrote: How are you putting needle on the same tier as purify poison/cool burns? Needle is amazing, but every cure skill is meh.

The only issue with priest is that the cure skills are kinda useless due to costing too much sp and being mediocre in actual utility. Just run antidote and cooling staves instead. Strong legs is super niche.

Just buff gentle torrent and rework the treatment skills.

And if you think shine knights is garbage you haven't faced a true shine knights build. A weaker metalaegis? You're outta your mind. Those guys have strong basic attacks and are hard to kill, plus you can heal them cause you're priest. They're amazing summons, as long as you can get them out. And some builds can do it reliably. If they were buffed, they would be too strong. I like them as a niche and rare build.

But in the end, priest is one of the most solid classes in the game. It's just a shame that some of its kit is terrible. But that could be said of many classes. Ghost has the same issue. Amazing class, but some skills are trash. So yeah it would be nice to get those bad skills up to par, but I'm not holding my breath.
Said what I felt in regards to the thread. I agree with these takes.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Balor's post:
  • Poruku
Priest is easily the most solid class and is at the point where it barely needs any changes beyond maybe at most an SP crunch and possibly proper evade support. Almost every skill in its kit serves some purpose or has some funny niche can you pull off with it, even Gentle Torrent and Purify Poison.

IMO just leave the class be or just give more SP reductions with a slight buff to Gentle Torrent.