Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Parry skills (or how stalemate prevents holy shield)
To give a simple TL;DR before the post even begins:
If you have two parries, the lower priority parry should be allowed to activate for attacks which don't apply to the higher one.

For the more detailed explanation:

My understanding (from a small talk with others mind you so take with a grain of salt) is that parry skills have a priority system.

If you have multiple, the game will always default to the highest one. If you have stalemate for example and know no pain, stalemate will always be the parry the game uses due to its higher priority.

This prevents multiple DR skills stacking on each other to make a high damage move essentially become zero.

But the system doesn't care about conditions. It always uses the higher priority.

So if you're attacked by a weapon that KNP applies to but stalemate doesn't, it doesn't matter. KNP is completely ignored over stalemate.

I think in those circumstances, the other parry should be able to attempt a proc. This would apply especially to something like holy shield, which is omi-dimensional. Should you have stalemate equipped, holy shield will never apply it's parry even if you're attacked from the back.

Obviously if the higher one has the conditions needed and fails its chance (i.e. stalemate CAN parry the attack but does hit the percent chance) it shouldn't look for other parry skills.
This is honestly, something that probably be a thing. I asked in the past for a toggle skill for parry skills because I was running BK/DH, and Sometimes I did want Stalemate to work. But sometimes I wanted KNP. But if I ever wanted KNP to fire (especially if I ran up against a dagger user), I could never ACTUALLY use it because. Whoopsie! Stalemate!

And if I wanted to end my turn in Reaver Stance, and didn't have Stalemate equipped. I just didn't have a parry. It's a bit finicky, but frankly parrys should work like this, because I have a lot of instances on Zach where I have a friend fully surrounded by Moshers, but they never get protected because. Oops! They have Eviter (which doesn't apply to this damage source!)
Or maybe pick between your very strong frontal parry or your slightly less strong omnidirectional one?

Just pick one. Genuinely. We don't need to buff BK's survivability.

I understand that it's unintuitive but it could be made more intuitive instead of letting BK get an 80% DR from the front and a 60% dr from the sides and back simultaneously.
[-] The following 4 users Like Entropy's post:
  • Caboozles, caliaca, Ray2064, Sawrock
I am in the opposite boat really, I think that giving tanks the ability to cover their weaknesses with additional parries just offers little for fun for the opponent to deal with, where as right now if you discover the BK is running Stalemate instead of something like Holy Shield or Ring of Pearls, it just tells you that you're also safe to attack them from the sides too if the opportunity presents itself.

Right now I think that you should just pick one and accept the weaknesses of it, it merely only gives more credence to deciding whether you want the stronger front facing parry or the more consistent but weaker omni-directional facing parries
[-] The following 5 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Caboozles, caliaca, MegaBlues, Ray2064, Sawrock
This is like asking for the ability to chimera install youkai onto yourself to cover multiple elemental immunities at once.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
secret kensei/aq buff thread, I approve