Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martial Lawbreaker And Shotgun Passive
I am trying to make a DH/MG hybrid class that utilizes a Shotgun and an Axe, and I was noticing much better damage returns with my melee attacks than with my shotgun attacks. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a higher strength, since my strength is 7 points higher than my skill. But that shouldn't make much of a difference, as there's a neat little passive in MG that outright increases the power of shotgun weapons by 25, as seen here.

[Image: 5e0b7a46a5900867ad6cf9dce3f093df.png]

I have in one hand, this weapon.

[Image: fbb907982f2bcf472a12041265316c83.png]

I have in the other hand, this weapon.

[Image: c11ef10420f93a568d438aa5d2209bae.png]

In Reaver Stance with Martial Lawbreaker and Ambidexterity, I tested the damage of both weapons when doing Mad Chop, in addition to simply doing Mad Chop with only one of each weapon equipped with Ambidexterity off. I tested this with level 1 Jammers in the Jammer Cave, to keep a level testing field.

The shotgun has 18 power, the axe has 14 power. The shotgun should, in theory, have an extra +25 power from the MG passive which grants extra power to shotgun without restriction to what it applies to, according to the tool tip.

Every test resulted in a flat damage of 34-35 each time.

One could explain this away with a difference in stat distributions, however, my strength is 46 and my Skill is 39, not too far different from each other, and certainly not enough to make up the difference of +25 weapon power that SHOULD be applying to the shotgun, in addition to the shotgun's naturally higher power. In addition, Mad Chop only applies strength, and not skill to the equation, basing it entirely upon the weapon power.

Utilizing the damage formula for Mad Chop, the damage for each chop SHOULD be, for the Shotgun, 66 damage, or adjusting for defense on the Jammers, about 63-64.

And with the formula for the axe, it should come out to 37, which reduced by defense comes out to about 34-35.

Somewhere, math is getting butchered. What's going on here?
Because Dev likes to intermingle the terms "Power" and "Damage".

so in short one-shot-wonder's description is a lie and it probably only increases the damage of shotgun basic attacks

as it should, because getting +25 power to each shot of mad chop is a thing that should not happen
So it's more of a matter of tool-tip clarification than anything else? That makes sense, although it still doesn't make it any less frustrating when my axe is doing more damage in a basic attack than my shotgun is doing in a basic attack.

Using the same exact test (Level 1 Jammers, Jammer Cave), basic attacking with both weapons,

79 Damage with the Axe,
68 Damage with the Shotgun.

Considering that the Shotgun should get an automatic boost to damage/power/whatever from One-Shot Wonder, and its attack should ignore defense, AND it has more power than the axe, it SHOULD be doing more damage than the axe itself.

Again, what's going on here.

Edit: Figured out why my axe is doing more damage, but the numbers still aren't adding up correctly to reach the damage totals I received in the example above.
Because the shotgun's BASIC ATTACKS only ignore defense. and OSW only AFFECTS Basic Attacks.

It'd be fucking dumb otherwise.
The gun thing is just an issue of wording. Only gun basic attacks deal unresistable damage; the description has been updated to reflect this.

As for the issue about One-Hit Wonder, let me attempt to explain. Basic attack damage, as well as almost all spell damage, is passed through a procedure that checks for your 'attack power'. Meanwhile, a lot of skills, with the only notable exception being Monk (I assume because I might have redone the way the damage was calculated when I added Talon Claw), do not do this and instead calculate it based on the weapon's stats only inside of the attack definition.

If the game were checking your 'attack power' with the Shotgun weapon, it would be adding the 25 Power bonus from One-Hit Wonder. But since it only checks the Shotgun's Power, it isn't. There are ups and downs to this, because often times the damage dealt is reflected accurately when otherwise you would have some random skills influencing the damage. Notable examples;
  • Aerial Attacker
  • Zugzwang
  • Upgrade
  • Dark Claws
  • Flank
  • Backstab
  • Sharp Claws
  • Youkai Tamer
  • Katana Master
  • One-Hit Wonder
  • Exorcism
  • Berserk minibosses

Currently some of these don't affect things like Monk skills because the skill itself gets passed through instead of the weapon (Flank, for example, only takes effect if it's the attack power of a weapon being checked). Some of them, like Aerial Attack and Dark Claws, probably do affect both spells and Monk skills. Upgrade probably does as well.

Should this be adjusted? Maybe. It would be more consistent and might introduce some unique facets to combat that we haven't explored yet and might make some of the racial skills more influential (for example, Dark Claws). Some of the modifiers in the 'attack power' could be split up into categories, like 'general attack power' and 'basic attack power' to prevent them from becoming too strong/to fulfill their intended purpose. Things like Nitrogen Drop would likely have their description updated to show it only takes the weapon's power into account, not any skills that would modify it.