Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack of all trades, master of all trades?
I've spent the last few days trying to think of ways to stop the so-called "omni-classing" that's been rising in popularity lately.

Now, using every class is a bit of an exaggeration, obviously - but it's more accurate than you might think, with people frequently swapping between six to ten different promoted classes in the span of an hour or two, depending on their opponent.. leading to their opponents doing the same to keep up with them, and so on.

In the past, there was talk of 'tokens' that had to be used to unlock class promotions - a limit on how many classes you could get, essentially - but I believe that idea was generally disliked as it was too restrictive and would be far too punishing to players that changed their minds down the line.

After some careful thought and discussion, I came up with an idea that I believe would be fair: Adding a cap on total SP spent towards promoted classes.

The way it would work is simple:

Let's say the cap is 100, and you definitely want to be using Evoker most of the time, so you spend your allotted 35 SP in it.

This leaves you with a total of 65 SP left towards your cap. Being a damage focused mage so far, you might want a bit more utility, so you pick up Lantern Bearer and throw 35 SP into it.

Perfect.. but wait, this only leaves you with 30 SP left towards the cap, a whole 5 short of maxing out a third class! Hmm.. perhaps you use a bit of dark magic on the side, so you want to spend SP in Hexer. Let's say you max out three of the spells, Dark Invasion to keep your status infliction high, and grab Endurance for a decent health boost..

Wait, this still leaves you with 9 SP, huh. Maybe you'd like to mess around from time to time, take it easy on the low levels? Let's say you take up magic punching as a hobby, so you head over to Monk.. and you still have enough total SP left to max out Spirituality and pick up every offensive skill! Wonderful.
This allows your character to not be locked into only being able to do one thing ever, but stops them from being a Mary Sue-ish master of every fighting style in the world (as long as their stats and items permitted it).

But hey, people change, right? Maybe a new class comes out that'd be perfect for them, maybe they give up an old way of fighting, or maybe you just want to test things out OOCly or whatever. Sure thing, no problem - eat a fruit of forgetfulness and you're back to where you started.

I'm going to be suggesting a few traits to go along with this in another thread.
so what would stop people from just eating fruits and respecing their skills before fights
Quote:[8:45:04 PM] Kei: if you really want to raven the only thing stopping you is time and murai
[8:45:32 PM] Kei: it's not meant to go "HEY YOU, YOU HAVE TO USE X NO MATTER -WHAT-"
[8:45:39 PM] Kei: it's just
[8:46:07 PM] Kei: "well i'm going to try and push you away from that as much as i can without negatively affecting anything, but if you reaaaally want to.."
Along with the traits.
i can dig it

i like this idea
Consider me on board. For the reasons posted.
*loud burp*
I would personally like a bit more Specialization like this.