Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somatic and Verbal Spells
So. We know that in some universes that Spells are Somatic, Verbal, require components, or some combination thereupon.

I would like to suggest that SL2 takes this system into effect. Allowing mages the ability to work with that for there spells. The order would go something akin to this.

Normal spells (having simple verbal components) would cast as per normal. 1x damage modifier. However adding SOMATIC components give a 33% damage increase.

What does this mean though? You can toggle having Verbal and Somatic components on/off via a toggle. If you toggle OFF Verbal components, spells will no longer be capable of being silenced. However, in tandem with this, it will do quite a bit less damage ((Only dealing 66% rather than the whole 100%)). Alongside that factor, is that your Invocations will NO LONGER have their famous words done alongside them. Meaning that the attacks are much less televised.

On the other side, to Somatic spells. They can be 'silenced' in a way. If the cast has their movement speed hindered, or become IMMOBILIZED, they cannot perform their spell whatsoever. Whilst
Lets just do a quick run down.

Verbal Spells
-----------------------------
Can be silenced
Telegraph your spells

Somatic Spells
-----------------------------
Don't telegraph your spells
Can't be silenced
CAN be hindered by other things.

Using BOTH Somatic and Verbal
--------------------------------------
Can be Silenced/Immobilized
Telegraph your Spells
Spells cost +1 Momentum to use
33% Extra damage.

Does it fix resistance? No, not really. Does it fix people whining and bitching about Invocations being too telegraphed to your opponent? Certainly. Does it make you deal more damage with magic? Yep.

Edit1

So. A thing that came up was "What if someone silences you? Can't you just instantly swap from verbal to somatic?" Well. The answer to THAT particular question is yes/no. The way I envision this is that this is a 'skill' of sorts. Maybe even a trait that mages can take. What it does is that you have two things. "VERBAL" and "SOMATIC" You can activate/de-activate ONE per turn, unless you pay a full 3M for it. What this means is that if you become silenced, and have a spell you really need to get off. You simply lower VERBAL off, costing nothing. You can then either cast at 66% power, or you can turn SOMATIC on afterwards, for 3 M, then cast with the remaining 4M you have. Leaving you at 1 M to do whatever. Is it tedious? Sure. Does it affect people WHATSOEVER that decide "Hey. I like my verbal only casting." Eh. Probably. I don't care though. It adds in a new way for mages to have 'variety' to their spell list. Rather than simply just going 'i know fir. but i dance to blast it out. Why does silence stop me?" It shouldn't happen, and we all know this.

So. Technically YES and no. If you get SILENCED whilst you have both toggled on, you can toggle VERBAL off, then take your cast at 1x damage. Though, if your target knows how to really screw you over... They'll probably end up using Immobilize (or slow)+Silence to stop all capabilities of casting until you get rid of it. It's a somewhat lethal concept.. but it gives perks, benefits, AND negatives to actually using different types of magic.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10131#p10131 Wrote:Rendar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:05 pm[/url]"]Does it fix people whining and bitching about Invocations being too telegraphed to your opponent? Certainly.
How do you stop what isn't happening, again?
Talk to Mega. He's the one always complaining "MUH OVERLOAD SAYS ITS OVERLOADING" or "MUH VYDEL TELLS EVERYONE AH'M VYDELIN!"

Shrugsies. Some people want their super move to be sercet.
Nobody uses 'their super move' without HSDW because invocations are made of paper now.
It's nice that I'm in your thoughts, but I'm pretty darn sure I wasn't the only one complaining when invocations were first introduced. The threads from back then don't exist anymore, but, yeah. Invocations can be broken with a tap now and the extra mobility is nice. And not being able to be guarded against is a plus.

also, i don't quite agree with the +1 momentum cost, because that's a whole lotta toggling on and off to get around only having 7M in one turn/resistances making it impossible to do two actions in one round
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10135#p10135 Wrote:MegaBlues » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:39 pm[/url]"]
also, i don't quite agree with the +1 momentum cost, because that's a whole lotta toggling on and off to get around only having 7M in one turn/resistances making it impossible to do two actions in one round

Then don't use both Somatic and Verbal components. Use Somatic, OR verbal. Don't use both if you don't want 33% extra damage and for the spell to cost 1 more Momentum.
Reducing movement is avaible to...MG and Lilus embrace. Is there anything else at all?
I don't really see a single reason why this should be included. You mention invocations being telegraphed to opponent. Why in the world would that ever be a problem. Range is practicaly the same for most things and if them knowing what you cast ruins your plan, then you aren't a very smart person. Every status effect, attack, damage type is displayed. Why shouldn't this.
As it stands this looks like a pretty redundant suggestion, tweaking lore(Maybe ? Who knows.) And just making mages even stronger. Something they don't really need. (If they're smart, right.)
Not even once have I heard someone that plays the game complain about people knowing what you're going to do. Because you can pretty much predict what they will do with enough knowledge of the game and its classes.
Examples :
Oh boy. Charge weapon. Indubitably they will use /Basic attack/.
Charge Mind? This will hurt.
HDSW? Hide your waifus, tornado/something else (Matters positioning) is coming.
BoI? Ah. I shouldn't attack right now, because I can't break it. Better do something better.
Western wind? So he'll be rushing for me soon, alright.

Predictability was never a problem. If by some slim chance I'm wrong in this, it's not a problem of mage, but whole game. HP, status effects, FP, Movement tiles.