Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nagas
The new race, while entirely awesome, is glaringly overpowered in terms of racials. Just to break it into small parts:

1. Snakescale: Nagas get more regeneration than Glykins, the same resistance as Wyverntouched, and a random 5% resist to two elements. Venom drive and poison immunity do not distinguish Glykins and Wyverntouched enough from this to justify giving this race beefed up golden blood and the ability to passively out-heal any poison damage you take ever. There are no drawbacks to these insane perks, just a random excess resistance tacked on.

2. Coil: See this thread, it covers it just fine.
3. Wrap: While not inherently strong on its own, wrap still provides a free replacement for basic attacks. You can bypass a resistance to whatever your weapon's damage type is just by using wrap, which also has the benefit of tossing out a free immobilize.
4. Growths: This class is simply a better mage than a Wyverntouched, with the new highest Will growth in the game outside of Lichdom, as well as having higher Cel, Res, and Vit than its snake brother.

I recommend changing the momentum cost of Coil to 3 or 4, and outright removing the regeneration and resists to fire and ice. Alternatively, power can be scraped away from the poison resistance or a glaring weakness can be added in to help fight against the stockpile of bonuses they have. (Like Hyattr wind levels of weakness)
I completely agree with everything in this thread.
At the very least Snakescale needs to be adjusted.

The minimum nerf I'd accept would be offering a tradeoff for the resistances it gets, since this racial isn't the only thing it even gets. The HP regen could afford to get capped or lowered (either to say, 3-4%, or to a maximum of level/2 per round).

Wrap should incur either a hit or damage penalty as a trade off for being able to supplement any damage type with Blunt/inflict restrain.
Please seriously re-think some of these racials, or at least make them so they're not better than both Glykin AND Wyverntouched, allow some diversity between the serpentkin in terms of strength.
I mean, you can keep them as strong as they are...

If you remove nagas from having a foot slot item.
Do also keep in mind...

- Nagas DO outregen Glykin, but Glykin are immune to poison. Nagas, meanwhile, regen exactly enough to negate standard (as in, not absurdly low level poison) poison damage with their resistance. This means Nagas effectively lose their regen when poisoned, as the heal/damage balance out, an issue Glykin never need to even consider. Not to mention Lunel's Decay having a field day with them.

- Nagas DO share WT poison resist, but don't gain any benefits from it/ can't self-inflict it for bonuses. WT may have 5% Less will growth, but also 20% more Str growth, and at level 60, gain 15 strength when biting themselves, in addition to +5 FP per turn. Nagas just resist it. Nothing more, nothing less. WT outright benefit from it.

- Nagas DO get Wrap, but... I'm going to go out on a Limb and assume most Nagas carry Tomes, because of magedom. "It can bypass resistance to your weapon's damage type!" So, Book Smack, then? Not even joking, Book Smack is available to all tome users, not just Nagas, and a lot of the time, -1/-2m is every bit as crippling as immobilize/ some people don't even blink at immobilize.

- Nagas DO get Coil, but the 1m cost was a mistake and it should be 3+ (+ meaning it ends your turn.) And this is basically the only real problem: It's better than a normal 3M Guard once you factor in the level scaling benefit, as you can get to 40% Reduction for 3M AND a 10 hp/fp recovery, instead of a 30% reduction for the same cost. Just remove the level scaling benefit on coil, and problem solved.

Yes. Nagas are powerful. But I think people are simply overlooking a lot of the interactions between racial abilities and various scenarios that give other serpentkin their edge, and simply declaring Nagas as better from a kneejerk perspective. Just remove Coil's level bonus and lock them out of footwear, and they're pretty fine.
*loud burp*
"Ranylyn" Wrote:- Nagas DO outregen Glykin, but Glykin are immune to poison. Nagas, meanwhile, regen exactly enough to negate standard (as in, not absurdly low level poison) poison damage with their resistance. This means Nagas effectively lose their regen when poisoned, as the heal/damage balance out, an issue Glykin never need to even consider. Not to mention Lunel's Decay having a field day with them.

Worst case scenario for Nagas is 10% of their max health per turn from Menov's fang (where they regenerate 5% beforehand anyway). Best case scenario is poison is a non-factor, meaning they can get upward to 40+ health per turn as standard tanks. Llunels is a joke of a hex, and assuming they don't resist dark (almost everyone does), it'll do as much damage as the gimped poison you can put on them.

"Ranylyn" Wrote:- Nagas DO share WT poison resist, but don't gain any benefits from it/ can't self-inflict it for bonuses. WT may have 5% Less will growth, but also 20% more Str growth, and at level 60, gain 15 strength when biting themselves, in addition to +5 FP per turn. Nagas just resist it. Nothing more, nothing less. WT outright benefit from it.

- Nagas DO get Wrap, but... I'm going to go out on a Limb and assume most Nagas carry Tomes, because of magedom. "It can bypass resistance to your weapon's damage type!" So, Book Smack, then? Not even joking, Book Smack is available to all tome users, not just Nagas, and a lot of the time, -1/-2m is every bit as crippling as immobilize/ some people don't even blink at immobilize.

Not every Naga is going to be a mage, they simply make better mages than Wyverntouched altogether. If Nagas choose not to be a mage, they get a way to bypass damage types, continuously perform more efficient Guarding, have natural resistance to poison, and regen an absurd amount of health each turn. Their only drawback will be low strength growths. If they do choose to be a mage, they get all of the above minus wrap, which they won't often use, and in exchange get incredible growths and innate infinite FP sustain. It's like I stated earlier in the thread,

"Kameron8" Wrote:Venom drive and poison immunity do not distinguish Glykins and Wyverntouched enough from this to justify giving this race beefed up golden blood and the ability to passively out-heal any poison damage you take ever.

This is an issue with deciding to give one class a little bit of everything, but the 'little bit' is a whole lot more than it should be. I doubt I'm alone when I suggest Nagas not become a moshpit of slightly watered down racials and extra bonuses, and instead get something that distinguishes them from Glykins and Wyverntouched. An arbitrary example being the ability to shed skin once every few turns, and remove all negative statuses.

One last note, while locking Nagas out of footwear is hilarious (and makes sense), all it does is reality is prohibit a single resist/DR, spiked treads, or thunder hooves. But if that's the route people want to go down, by all means.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=12803#p12803 Wrote:Rendar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm[/url]"]I mean, you can keep them as strong as they are...

If you remove nagas from having a foot slot item.

lmao
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]