Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in ahmarrykuh, spiel ingles
I think that it would be great for various scenarios in IC if you could speak a language other than common without having to go [x language] before each message. It would keep from the corny situation of:

Dale Dixon says "[Chataran] I hate foreigners."
Jesse Ventura says "(damn I didn't know that Trump supporters play this game)
Guard Commander says "(look at him, talking in another language IC'ly as if we can't see how stupid he looks OOC'ly!)

One could argue that that's more of an issue of people ruining the atmosphere of an event/IC in general with OOC gibberish, but having it so that language directly affected gameplay would enable people to not only just lob insults with a lower chance of being reprimanded, but would also provide for better private conversations, hilarious interactions between guards and criminals who can't speak common, and conflict amongst players otherwise. I envision a number of ways this could be implemented, but the base of it all would be everyone being able to understand common and then being able to speak another language due to one's race or by spending Legend Inks in the Creativity section, which would now be full of languages that one can become fluent in by spending a single point per language. Hence, a Chataran would start off being able to speak Common and Chataran while a Vampire would start off with only Common and would have to spend a Legend Ink on a second language if their character requires it. Two ways that foriegn languages could function in use:

- When Person A toggles on a second (or third or fourth etc) language and Person B understands it, they would see the text accompanied by a marker of some sort indicating what language it is (ie 'Onigan'). However, Person C (who doesn't understand the language being spoken) would just see: Person A speaks in a foreign tongue.
- Same as above, except that it would take two Legend Inks instead of one to become fully fluent in a foreign language. Just having one point spent on a foreign language would mean that you could tell what language is being spoken and have a reasonable chance of catching what they say, but you'll often not be able to get what is being said regardless.

tl;dr let me cuss out dys in Spanish damn it
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
I think languages would be great, but we'd need a limit on them. I also think you should be able to reset the language Legend Ink tab, if there came to be one, and it'd refund half the inks you spent there (to prevent people from switching inks for figuring out what people are saying, AND so you can un-learn languages with a benefit if you need to repurpose a character)
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
Yes please, I want to be able to mutter under my breath and call people idiots in Kael(ensian).

I'd be fine with seeing only a one-per on the Languages other than what you would know from your Race's culture (maybe an option with Air to be given Common as a freebie since it can be essential for obvious reasons, this way you don't impose unwanted knowledge of languages if it doesn't fit the character). Agreed on the Reset Option and only refunding half or just let them man up and deal with it. As for the language limitation concern Saw mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's already been somewhat decently defined on the limitations on Languages (but I could be wrong).

But seriously, can we please see this be a thing?
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Also, this would only affect Whisper, Say, and Shout. Emotes would be unaffected by foreign languages (for obvious reasons) and people wishing to use a foreign language with complete indiscernibility would have to avoid using dialogue in their emotes.

Or this could be tacked onto Literacy to make character creation easier.
I can't support making something like this a Legend Ink extension. I don't want to have to grind a character even longer because they can speak multiple languages.

Thus, I agree with Megablues' suggestion of making this (if it becomes a thing) a function of Fluency. Just have it give languages equal to rank or something. The ink option could be implemented on the side if you wanted even more, I guess. Or if we really can't trust people enough/find a method to stop people from hot-swapping their choices around.

But, honestly, I don't think this is even a necessary feature. People are (typically) pretty good about noting languages. It shouldn't have to be a mechanical thing.
Or just use the same system of SS13. Whoever played knows what I mean.

If you don't know 'wdf' SS13 has? Here you go:
When you type a certain prefix before whatever, the language swaps around, for example.

Player 1 types:
say "Hi, I'm empire guy."

Player 2's perspective:
Player 1: "Hi, I'm empire guy."
Player 2: "Hi, s'up."

=====================
Player 1 types:
say ";Hi, I'm lupine guy."

Player 2's perspective:
Player 1: "Bow bowowow allah-"
Player 2: "What?"

And for language, each specimen would have their singular language depending where they were born. (I still see this implement as far-off sea stuff, I mean, Onigans doesn't even spawn in their home! Meh.) As for learning, I'm split. People are going to metagame like there's no tomorrow if it becomes easy to obtain the knowledge, or just stuck if it's too hard.
I'd say to make NPC schools for each language, which requires some (or, a lot) of Murai and 'days' to learn?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't ever see people meta languages, people are usually good about that, and don't judge IC from OOC, I don't believe this to be neccessary either, I for one like reading different language RPs as well.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=13712#p13712 Wrote:Trexmaster » Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 am[/url]"]But, honestly, I don't think this is even a necessary feature. People are (typically) pretty good about noting languages. It shouldn't have to be a mechanical thing.

There are plenty of things that don't need to be mechanical features but are (ie the popup emoticons). I don't think that should outright rule the notion of implementing a system for different languages.

Everything else said seems reasonable to me, though.

I don't want to support this.
In the rare instances of people needing to speak a different language, they are doing a fine job of noting it and creating some system where it'd be gibberish for some would only separate roleplayin groups even more. Nothing'd be stopping people from just maxing out fluency and pick out common languages even through they cant talk them.
Yadda yadda.

No. I'd leave it up to players, not up to some system.
Edit: Speaking from experience on few other games.