Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You activated my trap card - Crap Bag
Alright everyone, I'm here to talk about the glory of stuff blowing up. So have a seat and guzzle down your designated alcohol beverage as you read this.

trap:
noun
a device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals, typically by allowing entry but not exit or by catching hold of a part of the body.
a situation in which people lie in wait to make a surprise attack.
"the guards deliberately herded 400 demonstrators into a trap and then attacked and arrested them"

-------------------------

As you can see, a trap is something that is meant to be deployed as something of a sneak attack. So I'll point out the first sin of traps in SL2. There is a certain (very secret) passive called 'stealth' traps within the rogue tree. But this is a flat out LIE as the traps are literally spelled out for everyone as an ability when you use it, the area on where it is placed, while you also face that area and the worse offender might be that range of the trap is very easily shown as you 'arm' it.

What part of this is a surprise attack to you? How can a class dare to call itself a rogue when clearly the rogue adheres to the the chivalry ideals of showing everyone where they put their 'surprise attacks'?

But that's just one skill right? Surely the traps are filled with power and tricky tricks befitting of a rogue? WRONG

Lets look at them shall we? There are currently four [strike]crap[/strike] trap skills in the game.

Rogue -Fire Trap, Gust Trap, Ice Trap
Archer - Entangle Trap

Which all last a measly 3 turns because the traps are supposedly made of paper machete.

Every trap scales from Guile 100% and their respective elements going from 50% to 90% at max rank. Amazing, with superior math that equals to a WHOPPING 190% DAMAGE! That'll surely blow their socks off!

Well that would be fine and dandy, but the traps deal physical elemental damage that can also be resisted.

Traps can also be very easily avoided thanks to plenitude of abilities/items that are 'blinks' which don't trigger traps at all, along with certain movement abilities such as charge + bash combo, where you very visibly run through the traps but they don't trigger because of your sanic speed.

Surely for this, the holy skill known as the Hand Trigger skill will put those nasty speedy blinksters in their place? Well, no, because the traps don't do unresistable damage. Traps meant to impair movement such as the Gust, Ice and Entangle traps are null due to the fact that enemies can just blink or use a movement ability to bypass that.

Oh great, but what about the fire trap? The one that should make a big boom and surely leave ruin in its place? The good news is that it makes a nice looking animation when it goes off. The bad news is that its the worse out of all the traps due to not having a single use for utility, not even damage.

Once again, you would think that maybe the traps just need some elemental help? Well instead of creative, funky trap mixes, we have them augmented with damage instead. Yes you heard me right, FREE DAMAGE. This applies to all elemental augmented traps except for earth and wind enchantments. Earth knocking them further away in gust traps while the wind enchantment lets you put traps closer to people so they can avoid it more easily.

(The fire trap still gets no love, even while being enchanted with the fiery flames of Mars.)

I'm actually the most in the dark with elemental augmented traps, so if you know more information, please leave a comment to correct my mistake.

So how do we fix this without realizing everybody's biggest fear of it being overpowered? I have my own ideas which I will list below and I hope that everyone else will contribute as well.

First of all, make traps actually traps instead of ghetto/avoidable physical spells on the ground, change the damage to magical damage. Second make them actually be stealthy so that people can't just avoid them by knowing exactly where they are. Third, make the traps actually last longer than 3 measly rounds, 5 would be a good start. And finally make the traps elemental compatible by just using what added bonus effect you get from using skills from the soldier/duelist classes. (Fire traps leaving cinders when augmented by fire enchantment.)

tl;dr - im salty about crap traps, make them less crap

Join me in my next Balance Fu adventure in the future - "Spellthief, sneaky trickster or hilarious clown?"
[Image: tenor.gif]
perhaps every trap you have equipped automatically gets deployed randomly on the map before the fight starts?
That sounds hilarious, unfortunately if they only last three rounds and lack any 'oomph' they still fall prey to being fluff skills.
There can be no sneaky traps in this world until traps deserve their rightful place on the totem pole.

Can we please have the fire trap enchanted with a fire element actually leave behind cinders?

I would also like to ask that traps be changed to magical damage or change the scaling of the current GUI into weapon scaling.

Seriously traps are still detrimental and terrible to use 3m on, especially since you can't stack them.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ONLY LAST 3 TURNS. Are traps made out of literal cardboard here?
Make traps last infinite turns, let us stack as many traps as we want, if the idiot over there spends 4 turns buffing, can we atleast make them suffer for standing around swinging their toys around?