Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stagnancy and the world of SL2
This is going to sound way more dramatic than it really is, but I want to discuss what I consider one of the biggest failings of SL2 as a setting; stagnancy.

In SL2, the primary interactions taken in roleplay are generally driven purely by personal history and character - this isn't a problem in itself and plenty of people enjoy it, but the reason behind it is the bigger issue: Nothing happens in the world of SL2 so there's nothing else to actually work with. There are no elections, no political events, no wars, no inventions, no scandals, et cetera. There's a solid background of lore with which to base a character's history on, but from the moment you begin playing them everything about them from then on is going to be entirely driven by other characters and maybe some story beats the player themself decides to impose.

Now I'm not going to be just another person that whines "MODS NOT DO EVENTS GAME BAD", I don't think that's a good solution and it puts more of a workload on people who are essentially volunteers who already have other duties to see to.

I think the problem of stagnancy in the world is easily solved simply by adding IC news of what's happening with the world, either on the title screen, the forum, or even a news board actually present in-game near the activity hub of the various towns (Cellsvich Square, Dormeho fountains, etc). By having an actual idea of what's happening in the world, even if it's just the smallest little things, players can make their characters feel like they're actually connected to the world and develop them based on things that are happening - An Umbral could feel uneasy at the news a political party with anti-corrupted sentiment is gaining popularity, the collapse of a noble family in Alstalsia could be all the gossip amongst some Zerans, a decline in the mercenary trade in Kysei could explain why a Chaturangan is so active upon the Sigroganan continent.

So yeah, tl;dr I think a simple weekly/bi-weekly/monthly news feed could go a long way towards making the world of SL2 feel alive as opposed to an unchanging frozen world that relies entirely on players to fill in the gaps.
There is nothing stopping you from making an IC news agency and doing this yourself to be honest.
-------------------------------------------------
[Image: 1599085341408.gif]
You're missing the entire point: A news agency made by a player could only ever report on what's happening amongst player characters which doesn't change anything - the world continues to be unchanging and everything remains strictly personal.

I'm asking for information and news about the actual canon of the world, something which only Dev can actually dictate and decide - if players could dictate the current state of countries and politics then there'd be rampant misinformation, contradictions, and lore breaking material.
I think this is a great suggestion in all honesty; while it is incredibly small, it'd add a whole lot of flavor to the world that's unfortunately only filled in presently by GM-hosted/approved events that not everyone gets to be a part of at times.

I don't really have anything to add but I'd really like to see this in some shape or form.
I agree, this would go a long way toward making the world feel truly alive. Implementation could be tricky, but then again all it really needs to be is tiny lore blurbs. Extra extra, mayor of Tannis steps down! Vampires to blame! Or whatever he can come up with.
It's the nature of the beast.

Sigrogana Legends 2 is a game, which in a sense, is chopped off a certain period of time that must keep happening forever. It's not an active game with wipes, as much fun as a second server that's wipe-based would be.

Imagine how ascended it would be to have Server #2 be something that instantly put you to LV60 and the theme was the Oniga-Sigrogana war?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
That second idea sounds absolutely killer, I'd love a server 2 with slightly more contentious faction relations. That far outweighs a superficial series of lore blurbs that might put a strain on dev.
It's not about advancing the timeline or anything that grand though, it's just about making the world not feel like a lifeless dead husk beyond the players through a simple bit of ongoing flavour.

Everyday in real life people chat about inconsequential news across the whole planet, and it'd be nice to bring a little bit of that feeling to SL2.
Perhaps it's something that it could be made by players to promote places on top of giving the people some sense of news around the world. Some crucial news related to important lore NPCs should be confirmed with Dev, but there's that.

Perhaps a weekly newspaper? There was at one point a journalist agency, but it died quickly.