Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ice Skate Cooldown
Ice Skate is pretty strong, I use it quite a lot, I use it very sparsely given I don't like to overly abuse these things but Ice Skate can be used in conjunction with tons of ice to traverse great distances very often, so often infact that you can use it to kite someone around every single turn, never allowing them to touch you as you have full control over the battlefield

It is not an infalliable strategy but it is one I am surprised hasn't been diminished quite yet, as I've seen it done a few times in the past in conjunction with Snow Crow. I would suggest that Ice Skate gains a cooldown, nothing fancy or special, given it's immense potential travel distance, 5 turns seems like plenty of time to catch up and punish the verglas for a bit.
I agree. Two uses of Ice Skate on the battle border can quickly send you to the other side of the map.

For this skill in particular I'd like for the cooldown to be 5 rounds, minus 1 per rank. Since this is also a skill that doesn't really get many cookies for you investing points in it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(05-27-2023, 01:00 PM)Snake Wrote: I agree. Two uses of Ice Skate on the battle border can quickly send you to the other side of the map.

For this skill in particular I'd like for the cooldown to be 5 rounds, minus 1 per rank. Since this is also a skill that doesn't really get many cookies for you investing points in it.
Doesn't that make it, effectively, a 2 round cooldown..?

Which kind of defeats the purpose of it having a lengthy cooldown when it can travel from the left side of the field to the right.

Also. Yes. It does ignore Immobilize.
I think its sooorta fine with not such along CD? 5 is a bit hardcore.
Its not like ranger or dancer mobility skills where it damages/crits and moves you out of the way, with the additonal condition with needing to set up the field for it.

What I think is however an issue is it not counting as a movement skill. Clumsy, Immobilize, traps, etc. should all effect it. I think that should be the counterplay to it. It should trigger field effects too just as cinder tiles.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shujin's post:
  • Fern, Miller
(05-27-2023, 03:36 PM)Shujin Wrote: I think its sooorta fine with not such along CD? 5 is a bit hardcore.
Its not like ranger or dancer mobility skills where it damages/crits and moves you out of the way, with the additonal condition with needing to set up the field for it.

What I think is however an issue is it not counting as a movement skill. Clumsy, Immobilize, traps, etc. should all effect it. I think that should be the counterplay to it. It should trigger field effects too just as cinder tiles.

You need to consider the best case scenario for this skill and how effective it can be at kiting around, I believe Flip Shot too is also put into spotlight sometimes regarding it's lack of a cooldown. If there was a way to tackle the issue of being able to move upwards to 25-30 or even more tiles at once, consistently and effectively while having access to a semi-global AoE ability still, then that would be ideal.

Expanding Ice isn't really the issue here given that its a staple skill of Verglas, and at that its probably fine due to the damage it deals compared to rapid kick or icicle spear. Perhaps too the issue is not actually Ice Skate and rather some skills that generate so much ice for the Verglas, such as Raging Ice Traps, or Freezing Rune. It's hard to identify at the moment.

We've reached a moment where people will just spam their strongest moves, flip shot and ice skate to gain tremendous distance and never allowing their opponents to touch them. I would settle for a 3 round cooldown if it was a movement skill, but that specific thing is more of a bug than anything else.
Oh I absolutely know that ice skate is a very strong kiting tool currently. 5 turns is just too much in my opinion, if it comes on top of the more logical restrictions such as being a movement skill. I do not disagree with Ice Skate being a very good skill when used by skilled hands.
But looking at it even at full potential, I still see Flipshot and the likes as way better as they can generate Momentum ontop of moving and attacking. So its a little mixed bag for me. it does ALWAYS travel all the way, which can be undesireable, over the versatility of precision placing of the mentioned skills.

3 turns is more agreeable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shujin's post:
  • Fern, Miller
Just making it a movement skill seems good enough. Don't punish someone for being able to set up an entire ass battlefield to be covered in ice. If a Verglas is able to get that kind of control against someone, maybe they just deserve the win at that point. But the counterplay there would be having some form of immobilize to hit them with. Or it should be at least.
[-] The following 2 users Like FaeLenx's post:
  • Fern, Pyro
(05-27-2023, 08:55 PM)FaeLenx Wrote: Just making it a movement skill seems good enough. Don't punish someone for being able to set up an entire ass battlefield to be covered in ice. If a Verglas is able to get that kind of control against someone, maybe they just deserve the win at that point. But the counterplay there would be having some form of immobilize to hit them with. Or it should be at least.

The amount of ice you can lay out in a fight to coat over an entire battlefield varies from case to case basis, whether or not your other class compliments this, you have a snow crow or your ally has good ice coverage themselves to lay out for you. In the worst case scenarios Verglas, as I have pointed out many times in the past, has a fair pace that lets them scale their threat throughout the fight, I play Verglas extensively so I hope I should know this anyways.

But this is addressing the best case scenarios, the scenarios where ice tile layout overwhelms a battlefield in 1-2 turns. This is fully possible and enables Verglas' shenanigans very hard, to the point where this strategy isn't just a reward, it is fairly reliable. I also pointed out that yes I do think Immobilize stopping this skill should be a counterplay option available, infact it seems more like a bug that it isn't, and I would lessen the cooldown in this case in order to accommodate for the existence of this counter strategy.

I believe in rewarding the Verglas with battlefield control when they've lain down enough ice, there are counterplay tools such as Sanctuary and Hard Note to fight against this too, I just don't see why the frustrating corner to corner skating is a viable strategy, that is simply it. I really just don't care what happens to it as long as its quelled down enough.
Hot take would also make it unable to use this skill on battle corners.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Truthfully I feel like this puts melee Verglas into an even worse spot. It's already pretty unrewarding to try to use the kicks, but now being unable to keep up with higher mobility enemies (who usually don't have to move in a straight line for the maximum distance), it's a challenge to want to actually use the kicking aspect. I guess a 3 round cooldown is okay but 5 rounds is absurd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyro's post:
  • Fern