Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross-Type Skills
Wanna know what bothers me?

When I can't use that skill I want just because I'm using the wrong weapon type.

Now, I know, I know, Maneuver: Ambidextrous was made for this sole purpose, but what if I don't want to off-hand a sword just to use Sidecut? What if I just wanted to use Turnover with an axe instead of a spear?

That's exactly what I'm about to get at here.

Suggestion: Allow all weapon types to use skills from outside their weapon type, but only after a few conditions are met.

1. Expertise in both the original and new weapon types are fulfilled. Example: If you wanted to use Shinken with a Polearm, you'd need both maxed Blade and Polearm Expertise. However, to use Shinken with, say, a dagger, you'd just need maxed Blade Expertise.
2. The skill in question is beyond a certain level. Maybe 3 for most 5-level skills?

Now, a few more things that make it better to just use the original type:
1. For applicable skills, the hit chance is lowered.
2. The critical chance is lowered.
3. The power is lowered.

These reflect the awkwardness in it. I'd think it would be awkward to use Turnover with an axe. Wouldn't you?

Also, just to note, it's obvious that melee skills would still only be used by melee weapons, and ranged skills would only be used by ranged weapons, and some skills would have to be exceptions, like Arbalest's Cannon skills, due to how they're pulled off.

Well, that's about all I got for now.
There are weapons that let you do this, and you can always use a subweapon.

If you want to use an Axe skill, you use an Axe. I don't think that should be changed.