Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Character] To See More
Applicable BYOND Key - Mycoplasmas
Character Name - Messalina
Request Type - Character/RP Ability/Youkai
Request Details -  I'm gonna be asking to violate a lot of the norm behind Corruption and Youkai installing/shapeshifting.
Specific Request - I want to introduce a new Youkai, and confer some of its benefits through shapeshifting to my Oracle. Granting it the Youkai's set of eyes to allow my character to see through its eyes but at great costs.

Proposal for the Introduction and Development of a Unique Youkai
I am proposing the introduction of a new Youkai tied to my character. The essence of this Youkai is far more significant than its name, and its existence is the primary focus of this application. This Youkai stands apart from the more familiar spirits of Korvara, appearing only in distant rumors and ancient legends, akin to mythical ones like Seiryuu, Byakko, and Suzaku. This doesn't necessarily imply that the Youkai that I'm wishing to write about is a unique! It would still remain within realm of the three existing cardinal Youkais.

Concept and Background
The Youkai I envision is that of a Trickster, shrouded in mystery and intrigue. Its story is tied to the origins of spell theft: “Where did the idea and art of stealing spells come from? Every being was born with focus, magic. But the desire to take magic that was not your own—where did such greed originate, and who taught people the method behind it?”

This Youkai is the answer to that question. A trickster Oni capable of stealing anything it desires, with eyes that can perceive the truth and value of all things. However, like any being, it is burdened by fate and the unknown, giving rise to the contract formed between it and my character.

Appearance and Presence
The Youkai’s appearance remains abstract, characterized by demonic features such as horns, clawed fingers, hardened skin, and tails. It is a presence known only to my character and never summoned into the open world due to the stipulations of their contract. This exchange of mutual benefits bestows upon the Youkai an oracle’s affliction and all associated abilities, while granting the oracle this Youkai’s sight.

Contractual Dynamics and Transformation
The blessing of the Youkai’s sight is not a simple process gained through “installing”. To maintain both the power and narrative strength of a Corrupted’s affliction and the Youkai, I wish to represent physical deformations and aberrations gained through shapeshifting. As my character relies more on this demonic sight, they gradually take on the Oni’s appearance. These changes can be both temporary and permanent, symbolizing the Youkai’s increasing influence and presence within my character's body.

I believe these transformations are essential because an oracle’s affliction is more so spiritual than physical. This implies that the Youkai’s soul would have to take significant residence within my character to confer the benefit of sight, necessitating bodily changes as a consequence. As upon borrowing an aspect of the Youkai, my character can temporarily subdue Corruption, reflecting the power and intensity of their bond. 
However I am perfectly fine with discussing the limitations behind these bodily changes if the idea nonetheless remains sound! (In case permanent stuff is a no go!)

The Blessing Of Sight.
The "eyes of a demon" do not grant a comforting sight. Often it would be described as violating or disconcerting to see the world with a lack of wonder and intrigue. But such a sight is far more than an Oracle could ever normally see.

This would be the only roleplay ability beyond simply seeing that I'm wishing to apply for! I would like for these eyes to convey how desirable something is for its owner. Such representation would be highlighted by a color emanating around whatever is being appreciated. The brighter the color of the aura, the stronger its owner values it. And being able to who values what if there would be multiple owners would merely be a matter of differentiating the colors surrounding the object or person!

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - I want to see if I'm able to get this through honestly! I want to know if it would be possible to roleplay a really interesting loop around tied to Corruption and I'd love to write more about this Youkai! I've gone back and forth talking with people if there would exist spirits that we could contract that aren't traditionally diegetic to the mechanics of the game, so this is my attempt at applying for one!
Roleplay & Lore supporting your request -
  • (Can a Youkai completely possess someone via Install or Shapeshifting?) It's rare, but yes, that's one of the dangers of both the Install technique and shapeshifting. You are giving the Youkai some measure of influence over your physical body - if they're too powerful for you, they can take over if they will to do so. Usually, this doesn't happen, as summoners and youkai usually have a bond of trust and understanding, and the summoner can always null the contract if the youkai acts up. But in short, yes, it can happen.)
  • (Does installing change your physical appearance?) Slight appearance shifts are possible, but nothing dramatic like your head turning into a dragon's or growing fairy wings. But your skin might appear harder or 'scaled' if you had Dragonscale while installed, for example.
After a decent bit of deliberation, everyone's okay with this!

Approved!