Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buff ephemeral insight
(10-05-2024, 07:28 PM)Lolzytripd Wrote: My opinion on it being a dr bypass is simple

Arbalest is physical evoker

Arbalest has buster cannon

Ephemeral insight should accomplish a similar level of bypass

I don't get the logic here, aside from Arbalest being a physical Evoker being very blatantly just wrong, Buster Cannon was also regarded as being way too strong at removing people's defenses and was promptly changed because it was unfair to play against and only generally targeted people attempting to get by on raw DEF well enough to be considered using.

This is not the case anymore, if you're trying to tank on just DEF or RES atm then you're going to be considered rather squishy because the amount of damage creep the game has seen has skyrocketed in recent times with only nerfs to DEF and RES and not the classes that actually need to be changed with access to absolutely massive swathes of DR such as Solblader, Ghost, BK, and even minor-playing DR stacking with Weathered Body and various parries, especially those of the kind that block spells.

Arbalest's Buster Cannon was worse than protection ignoring infact, because removing someone's DEF didn't remove their outward DRs, so they would gain more inherent value from those DRs by having their DEF reduced to 0, it would still kind of suck and your EHP was still reduced for the duration, but I mean there's a huge difference between attacking a hexer with 0% DEF and attacking a BK with 0% DEF but Bulwark/Indomitable/Wraithguard etc. to pad out their DR anyway.

DR is currently imbalanced as hell and the whole system revolving around how people survive encounters needs a huge overhaul as bereft as I am to suggest it.

From a balance standpoint, Evoker should be concerned about the ability to punch through elemental resists, not through magic DR.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
I definitely agree, it has nothing to do with arbalest.

However, elemental resists are not a big concern most of the time. You're only rarely gonna run into someone who can resist your stuff significantly, so turning damage to akashic is at best allowing you to soften the blow of being hard countered. Akashic does nothing different than another random element against like 90% of foes. The best comparison is winter's bite. Only used against your counters, making your strategy more consistent but not stronger.

All that to say, as long as we don't make it do ridiculous extra damage there's no way that can be busted.
If Evoker is ever getting any elemental shredding, it should be tied to performing elemental combinations with invocations. For example:

Ice + Fire = Lightning Weakness. Ice is melted by the fire, leaving the target wet.
Earth + Lightning = Wind Weakness. Lightning surgically splatters the lingering earth, creating dust particles that can be pelted with wind.
Fire + Lightning = Earth Weakness. Intensified magnetic field makes them easy to be crushed by earth magic.
Wind + Earth = Ice Weakness. Expose the enemy's blood to icy winds after using cuts from wind, and bruises from earth.
Lightning + Wind = Fire Weakness. I ran out of creativity.

Of course, Intensify Cold will need to be changed in some way if this idea goes through. But it's one way to have at it at least.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Lolzys mr deletion idea is genius.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water