Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just shoot the lock.
For locked treasure chests how about we have like, depending on your weapon and damage type, ways to break locks on chests without lockpicks? An imperfect method that risks durability (or in the case of bare hands, hp) for a chance at breaking the lock, but you can also mess it up and ruin some of the chest's contents?
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Well, durability wouldn't be a risk for Ether weapons or weapons that have infinite durability, so that's probably not a great idea. I remember saying a while back that I was considering adding something like a skeleton key that was a one-use unlock for chests and dungeon doors, but I'm still thinking about distribution and other things. You don't want them to be too common or easy to get but at the same time you don't want them to be too rare since they are one-use items.

Maybe as a drop from Black Beasts, as incentive to get people to do those more?
maybe a scroll of the knock spell, uses mental stamina and its own durability to unlock stuff.
Idea to solve this problem? Traits.

Shotgun Breach
Requires: 20 base SKI, Enemy of Locks

In the sands of Law's End, breaking and entering is best done with the biggest, baddest gun you can get your hands on, pardner. Shotguns you have equipped (in either your Weapon or your Hands slot) will appear as valid lockpicking tools in the tool selection menu for dungeon doors and chests. Opening a door with a shotgun is always successful, but costs 2 weapon durability. Opening a chest with a shotgun is always successful, costs 2 weapon durability, and the normal lockpicking formula is still rolled. If the check fails, half of the loot from the chest is replaced with the materials you would have gotten from breaking the item down.

Unlocking Cantrip
Requires: 20 base WIL, Enemy of Locks

Whether you use a lock-melting burst of sinister acid, a forge-hot flame, a metal-shearing blade of wind, or simply reach across the Void instead, mere physical barriers have no bearing on the might of your magick. Tomes you have equipped (in either your Weapon or your Hands slot) will appear as valid lockpicking tools in the tool selection menu for dungeon doors and chests. Opening a door with a tome is always successful, but costs 20 FP and 2 mental stamina. Opening a chest with a tome is also always successful, but because you reach through the Void to pull the items out with teleportation, you have a chance to suffer Moderate Void Poisoning in addition to the 20 FP and 2 mental stamina cost.
I don't like unlocking cantrip causing void poisoning, it makes no sense.
If you're bursting the chest open with some kind of elemental effect, you run the risk of breaking its contents. In order to not do that, you reach into the chest through the Void, never opening it in the first place, and pull the items out.
I find the thought of someone opening the chest later that the items were taken from just to see it's emtpy to be hilarious and it'd be something players can do to interact with the world in a way sorta... So I like it.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Or it's not empty, but it has a Voidgate inside instead. And you're now fighting an encounter with Spatials at the level of the dungeon floor.

Successfully checking for traps would reveal the tampering, and inform the player that there is no loot, but a Voidgate instead.