Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Familiar Familiars
So! I talked with a few people while on the server in the OOC chat, and I made a suggestion which everyone seemed to like. I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in Balance Fu, so I decided to place it here since it's kind of a change to mechanics and just a nice touch for the concept of Familiars in general, in my opinion.

Whether Dev has something in mind similar to this, I'm not sure, and I know the update was fairly recent but here's my suggestion!

I think it'd be a good addition to have Familiars innately have an effect similar to Sentimentality - that is, gaining stronger effects the longer you have it equipped, the more battles, etc.

Not only do I believe that this would be a good outlet for any balancing concerns that *are* had in regards to the items, but it will be a nice touch from even an IC perspective, given a lot of the new familiars are companions of sorts. Thusly, the more battles you have them equipped for, they'll gain Familiarity, or something like how Sentimentality stacks, though in this case effecting the items primary effects itself; say, 1% per battle. For every battle you do not have them equipped, instead of overwriting the effect, perhaps they just lose a large number like 5% or 10%.

To use an example, the Raincloud provides a 20 reduction to burn level upon use. At 100 Familiarity, that number could be doubled, or however balance sees fit - so instead of only reducing 20 burn, it would reduce 40 burn levels, and perhaps have an additional effect for being maxed out.

Anyway, that's all my idea really is. tl;dr Familiar's get better when you have them around and grow distant from you when you don't.

Discussion is good! I hope I got this across properly; you can put the numbers aside for now, really, but I think this would be a good addition to Familiars.
Yes, please and thank you. Even though they're supposed to be minimal this is such a cute idea. The sentimentality gives a nice reason to RP a connection between the two other than a simple buff. This also could be a reason to introduce sentimentality to certain things otherwise.
And so, SL1 creeps in even more. Considering it had a borderline similar or same exact mechanic behind it.

I'm iffy on it but I mean, if you want, I guess. I'm solely against it since they're already 0M and a 3 Turn CD at the cost of an Acc Slot for something that can just be procc'd anytime within 3 turns when you so see it.

Bonding with familiars seems weird in general when we already have Bonder doing that with Youkai. Probably just keep it added to them and make them feel special for being able to Bond with even summoned familiars.

No other thoughts on this right now other than. "It might be cool, but balance and shit."
Make it a trait called Sentimentality (Familiar).

Considering the current trait is called Sentimentality (Weapon), I wouldn't find it weird for the same to exist for other types of items. I think this instance is the most fitting.

Additionally, I'd say it should reset to 0 if you use a different familiar, just like when you use a different weapon with the other Sentimentality trait.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]