Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kensei Adjustments Thread
This is just my personal wishlist and what I observed could be changed or shrunk to give way for new, cooler things.
  • Absolute Death/Fear/Pace --> Reiatsu
This is to reduce the clutter with Kensei's skills, and as said above, open up opportunities to get new skills. Ideally, it will only apply one Absolute at a time, but it'd be cool to add all Absolutes at once too, because of the previous momentum investment to apply the spiritual energies from other skills.

Quote:Reiatsu (3 Ranks)

By utilizing the art of spiritual pressure, the Kensei can addle their opponent's minds and forms. On use, targets all enemies within 1 range of you, and depending on which spiritual energy your opponent is inflicted with, this skill will have different effects:

Rank 1: Touki - Absolute Pace
Rank 2: Sakki - Absolute Death
Rank 3: Kenki - Absolute Fear
  • Sacred Art Elemental ATK scaling --> Kensei LV + 10 scaling.
This could probably be the "Kensei LV" passive of the class, like you'd see in Ghost's Claret Call, or Firebird's Magical Feathers. Rather than counting on your own Elemental ATK, it could simply deal a flat, unresistable and unavoidable damage when it procs. Since more often than not, the damage tends to be a flat 0, or too small to even be notable.

Quote:Sacred Art (2 Ranks)

Kensei often utilize multiple techniques in succession, turning their swordplay into an art rather than a skill.

When you deal damage to an enemy using a Kensei Offensive Skill, the next Kensei Offensive Skill this turn does not require FP to use, and if it hits the enemy, it will deal elemental bonus damage based off your Kensei LV + 10, which ignores protection. (Each Kensei Offensive Skill uses an unique element; If you have a Starsign, its element will be used instead).
  • Kagekiri, Toiken, Hirazuki, Raijinken, Sharenzan --> Can critically hit, their ranges start maxed (similar to Korkenzieher and Chaser, but can be shortened) and Animation Speed is increased by (Critical Hit - 25)%.
It'd be cool if this was a norm for Kensei skills.

Depending on the Kensei's Critical Hit, the animation's speed would be higher. Admittedly, the only reason I'd use Lightning badge over the other badges is how cool it is to just blitz through an enemy in the blink of an eye.

Additionally, range starting maxed more often than not makes you take your turn faster. Having to always increase the range by 2 is very inconvenient, so it would be an improvement.
  • Toiken --> Its range of effectiveness should be THICCer
I don't need to explain this. Toiken has a ridiculously large dead zone, which makes it the most clunky skill in Kensei's arsenal. Here's an example of what I believe could be the new Toiken:
[Image: image.png]
  • Katana Master --> Also works with Bows and Spears. This now checks every round, in case you lose this to a dispel effect, or enter a fight in the middle of it.
Since Samurai were also known to use bows and spears, this could be a good reference to that, while enabling Kensei to be used with other classes, albeit limited to their general theme. We can easily say that other weapons that are not the two mentioned make it hard for one to focus their spirit.

Over time, Two-Hand Katanas have and will always be more optimal. This is mostly to let more themes flourish with Kensei without ruining their core gameplay.

Quote:Katana Master (1 Rank)

Needless to say, Kensei are masters of the katana. At the start of every round, if you do not have Katana Master active: If you have a Katana weapon, and don't have other weapons, aside Polearms or Bows, gain a permanent status that boosts the power of your Katana weapons, Sakki, Touki and Kenki. This boost is lost if you swap weapons.
  • Counter Edge --> Should deal its bonus damage separate from Riposte's damage.
Why, you ask me? Because Riposte will reduce that damage by -50%, so this passive technically deals only 12 damage. Besides, an extra slash is always flashy, so here's what it should be (with an added flavor text):

Quote:Counter Edge (3 Ranks)

Kensei are known opportunists, exploiting gaps better than anyone. Attacks made through Riposte and Sheath Sword deal a separate instance of bonus damage (based on Rank) of your weapon's damage type, which ignores protection.

• Yomidori --> Should be a stackable defensive passive, and have an extra effect.
This was honestly destroyed by the nerf. Bonus parrying chance is extremely small on top of its general use being mostly on RNG. But I see this as an opportunity to give Kensei something to live by this skill's flavor text:

Quote:Yomidori (3 Ranks)

Yomidori is the act of predicting your opponent's movements with such precision that it becomes akin to mind-reading. When you are attacked by a person who has already attacked or damaged you this turn, your opponent grants or empowers a permanent status named Yomidori by LV X (X = Rank), which grants an additional +LV% trigger rate for parry skills against the causer.

Additionally, there is a LV/2% chance for damage dealt from their attacks, skills or spells that are not evaded or a glancing blow become a Glancing Blow. (This will remove the status and put it on a 1 round cooldown).

• Tekagen --> Remove this. Make it a Trait anyone can pick.
Really, why does this exist? Being able to hold back without any form of tactical advantage tied to it doesn't really look like a thing that should be exclusive to Kensei. This is yet another contributor to unnecessary clutter that's better off as a trait everyone can use.

And finally, new things! Or er, "new".

HUGE DISCLAIMER THAT THIS IS NOT BALANCED! I'M NOT CARING ABOUT BALANCE, JUST HAVING FUN FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS!
  • Oarashiken
A skill to make PvE more convenient for Kensei. Like I joked, the 'katana weeb's version of Divine Shower, except it doesn't blind.

Quote:Oarashiken (5 Ranks)

You are the storm that is approaching. Sheath your sword and focus your spirit, using 6M+ and gaining Kenki Meditation for 2 rounds, which heals 8% of your maximum HP and FP at the start of the round, and disables Riposte for the duration.

If you use the skill while under Kenki Meditation, it will cost 3M, and you will teleport to all enemies, slash through each of them 4 times in random directions. Each slash ignores evasion and protection, and have a 50% chance of applying Kenki, Touki or Sakki to them for 5 rounds (If the status is not active). Then you will return to your original position, facing away from the last enemy you attacked.

If you activate Hidden Cut while under Kenki Meditation, it will consume the status and increase the damage by 20% (+10% per Sakki, Kenki or Touki) of their missing HP (halved against players and bosses).
  • Yamasakeru
The legendary Mountain Render technique, a single target big shot move that leaves the Kensei exposed, but not after utterly ruining a single target's life and leaving a mark for them to remember through all the fight.

Quote:Yamasakeru (5 Ranks)

A strike to rend mountains and hearts alike. Sheath your sword and focus your spirit, using 6M+ and gaining Touki Meditation for 2 rounds, which heals 10% of your maximum HP at the start of the round, and disables Riposte for the duration.

While in Touki Meditation, if you use this skill again, it will only cost 3M. You will shoot forward to the battle border directly infront of you, and any enemies, tiles or constructs in the path of a 5 wide range line will be destroyed in a flurry of mountain-rending strikes. Enemies will also be knocked down, or knocked airborne if they cannot be knocked down.

If you activate Hidden Cut while under Touki Meditation, it will consume the status and create Pillaged tiles in a huge circle area around the targets, making it impossible to create new tiles, for 5 rounds.

• Zettai-tekinashi
And finally. The 'True Absolute Death'. Kill an unwise opponent before they even notice they're already dead. By now I'm mentally exhausted and out of ideas. Thanks for reading.

Quote:Zettai-tekinashi (5 Ranks)

Kill the unwise before they notice their spelling mistake. Sheath your sword and focus your spirit, using 6M+ and gaining Sakki Meditation until your next round, which heals 10% of your FP at the start of the round, and disables Riposte for the duration.

If an enemy attacks you while you are under Sakki Meditation, you will draw your blade and counter-attack with such power that it deals no damage but marks the enemy with Shindeiru for 3 rounds (LV = 200% of their maximum HP). Once the status expires, the opponent will take LV physical slash damage that ignores protection and evasion.

Against non-monster enemies, it will inflict Delayed Damage for 3 rounds instead. (It starts at LV0, and every time the opponent takes damage, it will increase the LV by a random amount between 1-50% of the damage taken. Once the status expires, they take the damage. If the LV is above 150, it will also ignore protection. Max. LV = 200.)

If you activate Hidden Cut while under Sakki Meditation, it will consume the status and immediately trigger any Shindeiru or Delayed Damage the enemy has, but it will only deal 25% of its original damage.

Please go easy on my balance-fu, I'm a new player.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Snake's post:
  • Deja Vu, Maksimum_Fire, Poruku, ThatOneHop, the homestuck man himself
Pwease...... PWEASE....
ah shit here we go again,

Making the absolutes 1 range is an L
As a kensei lover I'll give my honest feedback on everything. TL;DR it's overall good.

Reiatsu

I think this is good. Applying all 3 effects at once makes it actually worth it, and acts as a payoff for the kensei combo playstyle. Very cool. Applying only one would be trash as it's 1 range bro.

Sacred Art

Ele atk portion
Eh, I guess this is fine, but I'm not sure about the departure from elemental atk altogether. I think it would be fine if the damage just ignored armor or prot.

Can crit
Tbh this would make perfect sense. Lightning badge supremacy is kind of annoying. But this would mean wind badge is literally the only good option lol.

Anim speed
They should all just have the lightning badge speed. Fast anims are better for the game as a whole. Same with any slow ability in the game.

Toiken
I actually like toiken, and I think it would be cringe to make it hit the sides. Just make it thicker. The strength of toiken is being able to hit from long range using the tips of the max range. (7 range normally, 11 range with wind).

I have a suggestion instead: make the toiken combo effect step you back 2 tiles before using the skill. This would add a nice and cool movement option to kensei and add a lot to their combo playstyle.

Katana Master
Yes.

Counter edge
Counter edge is actually a pretty solid passive. I think dealing a bonus instance of protection ignoring damage is a bad idea, the point of counter edge is that this damage scales with your crit. Just make it a bit higher if needed.

Yomidori
The current state of yomidori is sad indeed. Tbh just bring back a little bit of evade to complement the parry. The random glancings could be neat but a bit too powerful imo especially for an innate.

Tekagen
This skill is awful even for rp purposes. It could be made useful if it simply nerfed your damage and gave you regen.

New Skills
I like the idea of a pseudo-invoke, the overall design is neat. Shouldn't give you regen though.

Oarashiken
Doing global evasion ignoring damage is kinda oof, not that fun. It should at least have some kind of condition or unique thing to it aside from applying debuffs.

Yamasakeru
I like the idea of crossing the map with a wide line skill, sounds cool.

Zettai-tekinashi
Sounds pretty cool, I like it. The kind of skill that can dictate the pace of a whole fight in an interesting way.

Overall, my feedback aside, this is probably one of the best balanced suggestion threads you've made, and I think even if everything here was implemented as is it would be awesome.
The amount of Bleach ref in this one post is amazing. Man didn't even try to hide it LOL. Be careful because some of these words are copyrighted. 

Absolutes needs an overall all together. Not just mend into one skill even if that could help a few bit.

Sacred Art change, that seems fine. That needed a buff anyways.

The crit? Lightning crit is a problem already, let's not give it a built-in lightning crit.

Toiken doesn't need that change. It's strong as it is. Toiken requires a basic understanding of spacing which isn't hard to pull off.

It wouldn't be called Katana Master if it affects other weapons. A simple buff is allowing status to remain if you switch to another Katana weapon and use both the mutated spear and mutated bow. Or could just let it allow the Kensei to use their offensive skills with a katana weapon instead of a Katana sword. Food for thought really.

Counter Edge - I mean; a simple fix? Let it increase the chances of riposte and other counter skills proc. Similar to current Yomidori.

Yomidori - I mean it's fine? It doesn't need anything too to be powerful or evade base. It works pretty well with certain parries if used right.

Tekagen - I mean, we can probably change this, rename it and just release the Tekagen ring instead under crafting (Since it already exists: Ring of Restraint). This should just be something like a meditate; a reset used with a sheath sword that helps recover FP and HP if the person SS with 6 and more momentum. Could add some random effect like, the next turn, the next offensive Kensei skill get a bit more range or something.

The new effects/skills are meh? They seem like a must-get/mandatory stuff which isn't exactly a good idea lol. 
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
Make katana subtype work with kensei skills, then add the naginata as a baseline spear katana.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Skimmy2
(08-04-2023, 08:25 PM)Poruku Wrote: Make katana subtype work with kensei skills, then add the naginata as a baseline spear katana.
I mean shit if it got the arbalest treatment like this.... and you could use all kensei skills and sheath sword with any katana...oh boy...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lolzytripd's post:
  • Skimmy2