Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class-Based Softcap adjustments.
... so. Let's talk for a moment about how a pure mage can be every bit as tanky as a renowned Black Knight of Chaturanga, minus the now-nerfed indomitable. Except, if the caster happens to have a single class with a healing spell (Bonder, Curate/Priest/LB, etc) it's actually even tankier.

Except let's not. You know what I mean.

Right now, Softcaps are a basic 40 + Racial. And that's fine to an extent. It means a race not intended to be proficient in magic, like Lupines, will not easily surpass a mage-centered race, and so on. But... they all get pretty darn close, don't they?

My proposal: Each class gets a series of bonuses and negatives applied directly to the softcaps - totalling zero (Such as +5, +5, -10, for a simple example.) Halved for subclasses, both are applied. This means that if you use a dedicated Priest/Evoker, for example, you might be looking at a base (before racials) softcap of 25-30 defense but 47-55 will.

"But Ran, my earth attack-!"

If using your defenses as offenses is so crucial to peoples' builds, we can discuss adjustments. However, it seems this is something people would rather have adjusted, given the changes to weapon scalings so people can't just pump defensive stats and get ample attack for it. Worst case scenario, as this would impact mages/evokers the hardest (Hexers actually want to get hit, for curses and payback and such) we could see about giving evokers some passive earth attack, if needed.

"What about my existing builds? this is way too big an overhaul, and it'd render me useless!"

Simple solution: A laplace gift of one fruit of fluidity per character. It's been done before with skill points and big class reworks.

Pros to this:
- Basically shuts down omniclassing for good, except within very similar classes.
- Potentially some much needed appeal to overlooked classes and potentially gives pause to considering the popular ones.
- Encourages more diversity in builds, as this would force changes.

Cons to this:
- Could potentially ruin roleplay for characters built around being durable sustain tanks. (This is the biggest one, by far.)
- Inactive players could miss the fluidity gift - as each new gift replaces the last.
- Could potentially be overbearing, if people specialize and stack like-bonuses that they can exploit.

Anyways, just throwing this out there. Thoughts?
*loud burp*
I'm not opposed, but it can be very subjectiven what a class is supposed to be good at with stats.
Why not just add class bonuses into the soft cap calculation, that'd be good enough, getting +2 scaled STR for being a demon hunter? Count me in.

It would also, benefit anyone who wishes to use the class based armors such as Tamer's Regalia, Fencer's Chestguard, and Farmer's Shirt, stuff like that would finally be good.
"Spoops" Wrote:Why not just add class bonuses into the soft cap calculation, that'd be good enough, getting +2 scaled STR for being a demon hunter? Count me in.

It would also, benefit anyone who wishes to use the class based armors such as Tamer's Regalia, Fencer's Chestguard, and Farmer's Shirt, stuff like that would finally be good.

I'd be down for this if the class bonuses were a bit bigger. It's certainly not a bad idea.
*loud burp*
I'm supposedly okay with this but it may also be a bit linear in the end with what you're capable of doing. Like for instance, i'm sure Dev might have trouble plotting what class bonuses a class like Summoner, Grand Summoner and Bonder get since they're very vague. well excluding Bonder. GS and Summoner are very vague and more youkai focused than player focused.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
I'm on Spoops' train of idea. And you know, +2 >scaled< something is pretty much a lot, if you consider it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I'm on board with the original idea, 100%.

Integrating softcap boosts into class stat boosts is little more than a generic, all-around buff than any kind of 'hey your class(es) actually matters to your stats', especially when none of them reduce stats.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I'm all for Spoops' idea. The rest of this is... Well, not really a good idea, in my opinion. If anything it'd just kill diversity, along with making Dev shell out $2 fruits to every character ever, which is just not a great idea for multiple reasons.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
Sounds like a great tool for powergaming. Sacrificing stats you don't care for in exchange for greater returns on the stats you actually invest in? You may gut sustain tanks, but you'll engorge other builds into being broken--- like every competent VA being able to land undodgeable basic attacks because their GUI softcap rises considerably just because they're a VA, or Hexer/Ghost being able to get their RES incredibly high and never have to worry about magic damage or infliction rate ever again.

I'd rather see there be a buff to the class-specific armor rather than this sort of buff to classes in general.
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]