Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineer Woes past Midnight
After a lot of thinking, and looking at both the wiki, and my time attempting to execute a build with Engineer in the past, I have come to the conclusion that Engineers are woefully inadequate for both PvE and PvP.

From a basic understanding of the archetype, this is supposed to a 'make your own stuff' sort of build, and thus, I initally put a bit into everything. This was under the assumption that everything had equal weight or utility.

However, as the wiki itself stated, there is 'no reason' (no known reason) to invest that many points into STR to allow either flame thrower or grenade launcher. With 50% Fire ATK and 30% Wep Pow Scaling for the Grenade Launcher as an example, this renders those two skills practically unusable. Having these items, while fitting the theme of a Mechanic, doesn't produce enough power to make up for full investment, if any. In almost comedic irony, the defensive skill, Electro Shield, has a greater chance of doing damage from its overcharged 2nd use.

Repair is a must have, both on the basis that it repairs machines as is the archetype, and mechanically as you have to sustain your NPC drones. Bashfix? Bashfix is the ONLY axe skill that is in the Engineer arsenal, and while curing all negative status effects seems nice, the closest scaling that makes sense for a fragile rogue upgrade is 60% STR 40% GUI Highway Axe. Plus, bashing something to get it to work? I like the idea, albeit silly.

The upgrade modules might have justification when done at the right time, ahead of time. Once again, Flamethrower and Grenade Launcher are unlikely to be used, as it requires some investment into the mentioned skills, which is unlikely. There is an argument for jetpack and Electro Shield being transferred, and that is it saves previous momentum for the former, and deals damage for the latter.

Salvage and Overclock are good skills as they are, the former for good moments of lapses to return with a stronger drone, the latter for when you either need damage, or simply cannot get back to it in time.

Jetpack. 1M move. Enough said. Good Materials is a must for your mechanized friends due to fragility.

Most of the Innate skills I do not have a problem with, except Explosive Art. Due to not knowing what counts as a bomb (like, do traps count or not), this has impaired my ability to give a proper analysis on this innate skill.

Overall, here are my proposed changes, and fair amount of reasoning.

Remove all offensive skills with the exception of Deploy skills. This moves clutter of skills that do not benefit from having friends that do work for you, and being a dodge sort of set. In addition, While Grenade Launcher, if adjusted, could work with a trap combo with Ice, Fire, and Wind Traps, Flame Thrower would be outdone by a good Fir-Nerhaven.

Have 'Deploy: Drone' Stats have both static stats, and scaling stats. It doesn't need to be much, perhaps a 10% to something would mitigate the fact that during lvl 60's or PvP they tend to die too quickly, and costly to replace. Overcharge does help, but that is still 50 FP down the drain. Another possible solution is to simply adjust the Robot to the current level of the user.

Allow offensive skills that are not Deploy skills to scale with GUI, and include more STR based spells that allow for a variety of effects. The passive is GUI, Daggers are GUI based, and as a dodge machine, Engineers need to be able to benefit from STR in order to pack a decent punch. GUI scaling seems reasonable, perhaps 3-4-5-6-7(0) scaling, or whatever the community feels is best. In addition, since traps are already given in the base class, and that Grenade is able to be triggered, a third option could be to add a secondary bomb, one that poisons, albeit a weak one in addition to damage. This would also make sense, as GUI is reflective of Acid ATK.

Disclaimer: I am just a fan of the game, who's up past midnight having some munchies who thinks a lot about these things. This class has a great concept, but a poor execution, and the make-up of the player-base's interest shows.

Regardless, my most successful build is a trap based PvE, where I spam traps, blow them up and move away far enough to repeat. Range is usually effective in both PvE and PvP, with PvP allowing Melee to close gaps fast. In order to justify playing this class, either more use of damage, or more threat from bots are needed. That, or be like... Tadric? I can't remember the exact name, but he uses it as a passive class for item use.

Love,
A Player
In a summary, making most if not all of Engineer's stuff scale from Skill and Guile? This is sure a fitting gimmick for the class.

There's no class that actually benefits from the stat, and STR is too overused by now. I don't see anything against it, really. Engineer does need its damage and utility going up, because they don't do anything but be cones by the end of all... Unlike cough cough, summoners, cough.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I mean grenade launcher does really good damage, as for Flamethrower, it just needs a scaling bump and a burn LV bump and it'll be fine, its got limited range so maybe make it a 4-8 range line, extendable for an FP cost.

As for removing STR from Engineer? Probably shouldnt, especially considering there's STR scaling guns now, and also Wrenches which scale 110% STR.

Also saying STR is over used is just a bad joke, imo, there's no point in which STR is over used.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]