Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about grinding.
Before we begin, I'd like to mention that I know there's other threads like this, but I really want to throw out my opinion on this subject.

Grinding is something that everyone does, but. . . it's also something that nearly nobody enjoys doing. Before, people used to simply towergrind their way to 60 and get full books in a short period of time; and while I do agree that it's not good for it to be -that- easy, it's also not a very good idea for it to be this hard to grind. Yes, I understand: ''omg but u cant jus lolbe as powerful as others who have been play for so much longer on a character u made a day ago!''

However, hear me out.

Grinding is an absolute hassle, especially for someone who doesn't have all day to grind, or logs in at a stranger time where there aren't many people online. It's the only thing that's stopping me from playing more than just a very limited amount of characters; you now need far too much time to properly get your character ready. B.D.P.s are a hassle and a waste of time that nobody actually enjoys doing until the first or second LE, even with full exp items/brain food. Either buff exp items and brain food, or increase B.D.P. exp rewards, or make B.D.P.s easier, or -something- that can make it faster and/or less boring.

I would not complain, but it's an absolutely boring, time-consuming process in a Roleplaying game, even when you do it with other friends. Isn't it counter-productive to make it this hard and, more importantly, boring? Should new characters-- and on-top of it all, new players with no friends to help them-- have such a hard time with properly getting into the full action? Yes, there are full RP characters, but does everyone truly want to play a full RP character? Yes, not everyone has to start out strong and whatnot, they should work for it-- but it's a game. People have lives, and simply want to get into the game. Grinding is overly boring and provides absolutely no fun, unless you like pressing movement attack stab sidecut attack movement attack stab sidecut (just an example of how grinding feels like).

That said, my main character has a full book. The reason this bothers me is because of how difficult and BORING it is to make new characters now, even when you have friends helping you out.

Thank you for reading this far.
My main personal issue with grinding is the part where high risk high reward doesn't seem to be present enough.

I.E: Snakemen are way more difficult to fight than most other monsters, but I get the same EXP reward for defeating them. This would make it likely for me to avoid that particular group of monster/dungeon frequently, since I'd rather not fight something hard for the same reward as doing something easier.

Going off personal experience, I'd say that currently the hardest mob types are Snakemen, Ice Cavern creatures and Jammers. If hard enemies were more rewarding in the EXP department, this could alleviate the issue.

A dungeon prefix that makes things more difficult for more EXP besides Crazy could also be good, but I've no idea on that one yet.

I still believe having a system where fulfilling certain conditions in a fight, such as winning without any spells or skills or items, etcetera and getting bonus EXP because of it would also make things more fun, while at the same time a bit more challenging and rewarding.

In the roleplay aspect, I'd say a hard fight tends to be a more memorable experience than a normal one.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Same. The updated monsters should probably yield more EXP.

Also Fern? I do recall Dev having such in his plans, but his excuse to not focus on it was because "but players want more classes/items, so meh". I wonder if the community can change this?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
He did add it in a voting list I believe. If memory serves right people voted new classes over better grinding.

I think it really should've been the other way around but that's my opinion, it's likely not too late for something to change if he deems it appealing enough though.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
With it being said that Dev thinks the experience we get is already too high, I can't imagine us getting more of it. Ways to spice it up and make the process less boring seem like the way to go.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
I can't see there being much of a point to new classes and races at the moment, but this is because I value quality over quantity. I find that reworks (this includes the experience and B.D.P.s problem that I've mentioned in this thread) are much needed. The grinding process is absolutely boring. It's anything but challenging; rather, the challenge lies within having the patience to full-clear so many level 60 B.D.P.s for a decent book. Now I'm not saying that you need a decent, if not full book to be good, but even the first level 1 to 60 is ungodly after level 50 if you're a new player who doesn't have any friends to help them.
I'm all for making the grinding experience more fun, as some people tend to confuse difficulty with fun. Keep in mind that not everyone in this community associates that with that, or is a hardcore player where fighting more difficult monsters tends to be more satisfying.

I have to agree with the OP and Fern here, if at least yelded more EXP for the special conditions they're making us pass, it would be way more worth it.